[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it with Americans and onion powder? Can someone please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: onion powder.jpg (26 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
onion powder.jpg
26 KB, 380x380
What is it with Americans and onion powder?

Can someone please explain this to me?
Do onions not really grow in America?
>>
>>7707287
>What is it with Americans
>>
>>7707287
We grow literally everything better in America. What is "shelf stable seasoning". Or maybe adding flavor without the texture of onions.
>>
>>7707287
It dissolves into soups and gravies, and is an essential ingredient in fried chicken and barbecue.
>>
>>7707295
>We grow literally everything better in America.

Bet you've never left the continent of north america.
>>
>>7707301
Certainly have.
>>
File: story_time_poster_460_0.jpg (22 KB, 460x325) Image search: [Google]
story_time_poster_460_0.jpg
22 KB, 460x325
>>7707306
where'd ya go?
>>
>>7707313
Ireland, Germany, Jamaica, Kuwait, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
>>
>>7707317
are you suggesting for even a moment that America produces better fruit than Jamaica?
>>
>>7707333
That's what he seems to be doing
I've been to Jamaica too, and I wouldn't disagree with him
>>
>>7707333
I went to Jamaica for a wedding and stayed at an all inclusive resort.i was 19 and drinking age there is 18.

So I mostly got smashed on red stripes and white russians. The only fruit I ate was the 17 year old cherry of a Canadian tourist girl.
>>
>>7707347
sounds like a wonderful place
>>
>>7707295
Very much not true. We don't even grow a ton of shit from Asia. Costa Rica has the best fruit I've ever eaten
>>
>>7707313
I miss you so
>>
>>7707356
The Sandals resort is. the majority of the country is severely impoverished. In fact it kinda makes you feel like an asshole.

You drive 2 hours across the Island after your plane lands through the most poor ass ghetto places to your resort. Then live like a king.

Plus it's easy to score drugs. One of the locals told me in order to promote tourism if an American is caught buying drugs they only arrest the Jamaican and tell the American to simply leave.

I scored a 20 sack of weed from a Jamaican with a name tag that said Elvis. I got so drunk and high I forgot my room key and just slumped against my door all fucked up and sweaty. Jamaicans were walking past me just laughing at me. Then one lady helped me into my room. Good times.
>>
>>7707287
The US was the trailblazer of industrialized food production, and the supermarket as the delivery system for it. We also learned modern marketing techniques from the Nazi propaganda machine. So we not only created a vast array of highly processed shelf stable foods, but we marketed them as convenient and modern, and after the Great Depression and WWII no one was really of a mind to question these products. When you lived through soup lines and war rationing to being able to afford a house, a car, a fridge and a TV you weren't likely to be all that choosy about what you ate. You were just happy to have plenty of cheap food. Fucking frozen food was a luxury to these people.

It's really easy to look back at foodgore from the 1950's through the 1970's and wonder what the fuck people were thinking. But the point is they weren't thinking. They'd lived through hard times and suddenly had plenty. When you find yourself in that position you really don't question things. You're happy with whatever bullshit you have, because you know what it's like not to have much.
>>
>>7707347
She sounds like a total slut
>>
>>7707425

people have sex

stay mad virgin
>>
>>7707425
I impressed her by catching a gecko with my bare hands (grew up chasing the bastards in Arizona). Apparently as a Canadian girl shed never seen a lizard before.

So I got her a little tipsy, then showed her my lizard.
>>
>>7707287
Oh come now. I'm sure you eurofags have institutional food too, where I'm almost positive they take shortcuts to making your canteen lunch in the company cafeteria.

By and large if you were to visit a home where someone knows how to cook, they'd use real onions for the most part.

In general, if they don't know how to cook at home, they don't even bother with shortcuts like onion powder, they just buy ready meals and shove them in the microwave.
>>
>>7707442
Slut detected
>>
>>7707447
it just seems like every american recipe i read call for onion powder
>>
>>7707443
Enjoyed your posts anon
>>
Non-American living in America here.

Just as sweet paprika doesn't taste quite of red sweet pepper, onion powder doesn't taste quite of onion. The flavour of each, fresh and dry-and-powdered, is distinct one from the other and neither is generally any better a substitute for the other as paprika and sweet pepper would be for each other.

Also, you knew this already because you're an American, OP. Hi.
>>
File: Aromat.jpg (16 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Aromat.jpg
16 KB, 250x250
meanwhile in europe
>>
File: 1408869092482.jpg (18 KB, 291x343) Image search: [Google]
1408869092482.jpg
18 KB, 291x343
>>7707392
I stopped there on a cruise and the poverty left an indelible impression on me. One woman was letting people take pictures with her baby for 50 cents a pop

I will never go back
>>
>>7707517
fucking bargain might go
>>
>>7707517
Yeah it's pretty bad. I was drinking on one of the docks at the resort and then I heard a "pssssst".

Look over the side and a 5 year old Jamaican kid was there. Fucker swam like half a mile to get to the resort from the Ocean. Locals weren't supposed to be bugging us it's the whole idea of the resort. Then the little shit says, "give me five dollars mister?"

I told him to go away. Maybe if he asked for 1 dollar, he got too greedy for a beggar.
>>
>>7707552
I know right? Ever since I moved to London I've had people asking me for 2 quid on the street.
TWO POUNDS
Ask me for 20p and I might give you some change, that much and you can fuck off. Bloody london prices.
>>
>>7707573
haaahahaha holy shit london is crazy
>>
>>7707552
Dunno, I feel like a five year old swimming half a mile is worth $5
>>
File: maggi.jpg (50 KB, 531x799) Image search: [Google]
maggi.jpg
50 KB, 531x799
>>7707488
And this:
>>
>>7707625
Well I'm more secure in my livelihood now then when I was a broke 19 year old.

It's that he asked directly for $5. If he just said "can you spare some change?" He might of even gotten $5. I just don't appreciate the audacity of a beggar being so specific.
>>
>>7707460
Was this some Betty Crocker cookbook from the 70s? I could see that for sure. Things have changed since. Most people look up recipes on the internet, and most call for real onions these days?
>>
>>7707412
They also were trying everything to see what worked
>also one of the reasons people think the US and UK food became so mediocre compared with continetal european food was that the UK and the US could get good quality preserved food, which killed the eating local fresh produce more thourghly than the lack of food in continental europe.
>also rationing and prohibition wrecked fine dining
>>
>>7707650
no, home recipes on the internet
>>
>>7707640
what does maggi sauce taste like anyways?
>>
>>7707296
You can stew it in large chunks i.e. halves and then remove them at the very end. Same with frying, just slowly sweat the onions then remove.
>>
>>7707732
A bit similar to soy sauce I think. Problem is I haven't eaten soy sauce in years due to allergy, but I do use Maggi sauce regularly. Maggi sauce in its current incarnation is fermented wheat protein, secret aromas and MSG/IMP combo, salt level is 25%. It does give a huge umami boost, but even if you use a lot the taste itself is very pleasant
>>
>>7707287
are Europeans really this stupid?
>>
>>7707669
Same is true for hot dogs and ground beef in America. Those were the cheap meats you could get during the Depression and WWII. Americans got used to eating them on a regular basis, and continued to do so with gusto after the war. Then you had the companies that supplied rations for the war effort turning to the civilian market, which gave us stuff like Chef Boyardee.

But your point stands: in countries where people were starving to death like Italy they were so psyched to get whatever fresh ingredients they could, and treated them with respect.

Very few starved to death in the US and UK, because they had access to degraded food products, and eventually developed a taste for them. In the US that was the generation that actually liked American cheese (the only legal cheese during the war), in the UK they bought Oxo cubes.

But culture has a lot to do with it as well. In the US and UK cooking was not seen as a noble profession, and being a gourmand was looked down upon - both cultures mocked the French for this. Which meant preserved (and later frozen) foods easily cut both cuisines free from seasonality. That resulted in cheap, widely available food, but not particularly delicious food beyond obvious blasts of fat, salt and sugar.

Italians, like the French were very proud of regional and seasonal dishes. They saw cuisine as an important part of their culture. Good cooks were respected, and grandmothers revered for their abilities in the kitchen. And they had good reason to be suspicious of degraded staple foods, having lived through Pellagra in the 19th Century. After the war when cheap highly processed food arrived there they didn't show as much interest in it.
>>
>>7707317

So basically nowhere. Also I hope you get deployed and killed by an iem Allah Akbar
>>
>>7707813
Sand in your vagina?

Nope Hajji missed his chance I'm out now.
>>
>>7707825

Well at least you get to keep on leaving as an ignorant amerifat which is a fitting punishment in my opinion.
>>
File: 1445017003508.jpg (212 KB, 652x774) Image search: [Google]
1445017003508.jpg
212 KB, 652x774
>>7707833
Stay bitter.
>>
>>7707788
neat theory
>>
>>7707838
i'm british and this is true when you think of the semen that is american celebrities and chart music
>>
>>7707333
hawaii produces the best fruit and coffee on earth

t. not even american
>>
>>7707924
>coffee
>picking literally the one thing I would disagree about
Jamaican coffee is amazing
>>
>>7707914
as opposed to fucking british celebrities and chart music. its all shit don't kid yourself. the best celebrity you produced is hugh laurie and he disowned you
>>
>>7707945
do you think i'm here dancing around to the spice girls and watching richard and judy?

I was criticizing your shit music, not saying our shit music was better.

Currently listening to Tate Kobang
>>
>>7707788
Nice story.
Meanwhile, food is cheap in Germany because two guys were to lazy to renovate thier store and to put that food out of the boxes.
>>
>>7708300
is that literally the story of Aldi?
>>
>>7708304
Yes.
>>
>>7707333
Are you suggesting onion is a fruit?
>>
>>7708460
what if i am?
>>
>>7707517
>I stopped there on a cruise and the poverty left an indelible impression on me. One woman was letting people take pictures with her baby for 50 cents a pop
>I will never go back

yeah, i don't make enough money to be a big enough asshole to visit that place again. once was enough to make me feel like a complete douche for a few months.
>>
>>7707699
I've cooked upwards of 100 recipes from the internet and have never seen this. Where the fuck are you looking for the recipes, onionpowder.com?
>>
>>7707774
these threads are 99.9% posted by americans
>>
>>7707287
I use it to replace actually cutting onions because my eyes become a roaring inferno 30 seconds in. This usually causes me to start chopping in between blinks so I'm a blind man using a kitchen knife in a hurry while my shit is in the pan under a strict timeline.

So yeah, Onion Powder. All the flavor of the onion without the work.
>>
>>7707295
>What is "shelf stable seasoning"
Regular onions last for fucking months. They dry out by the layer. Even if you lose a few layers you can still eat them just fine.
>>
>>7710431
And onion powder lasts even longer. Nice argument.
>>
>>7710432
Sure gonna need those extra twelve months tacked onto the three month shelf life of a small sack of onions. If you never fucking cook anything that is, you pleb.
>>
>>7710437
>not cooking with onion powder
Why are you pretending that you cook? Just because you slice onions for your sandwiches it doesnt mean you cook.
>>
>>7710412
>I use it to replace actually cutting onions because my eyes become a roaring inferno 30 seconds in

You need some onion goggles m8
>>
>>7710442
I dice them into my fried veggies all the time, for which onion powder is utterly pathetic.
>>
>>7707669
>UK and the US could get good quality preserved food
And Germany and France can't? Germans basically turned sausage making into an artform.
>>
>>7710445
Woah. You know how to put cooking oil in a pan and apply heat... with vegetables!!???!!

Everybody back the fuck up! You will address this man as YES CHEF, AYE AYE CHEF! You're truly among culinary greatness. Relish this opportunity.
>>
File: massive shitposting.gif (3 MB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
massive shitposting.gif
3 MB, 600x340
>>7710460
Got anything to say or are you just gonna meme from now on?
>>
File: 1441951534866.jpg (127 KB, 480x666) Image search: [Google]
1441951534866.jpg
127 KB, 480x666
>>7710465
You never had anything to say in the first place. Onion powder can be utilized.

For example the very first post you replied to of mine also stated sometimes ppl want onion flavor without soggy onions in their food. You're a stupid turd and your immaturity shows.
>>
>>7710476
>soggy onions
>he doesn't glaze
Ebin cooking skills
>>
>>7710484
What the fuck turd boy. I was talking about soups and stews.

CHEF!
>>
>>7710460
You are fucking retarded Jesus Christ
>>
>>7710447
Yeah, but the Germanic world's failed attempts at empire building during the first half of the 20th Century resulted in wheelbarrows of money to buy loaves of bread, cats being called "roof rabbits" and eventually a divided Berlin where black market blue jeans sold for hundreds of dollars.

The 20th Century brought a different kind of horror to Germany and France (occupations and firebombing) than the slow degradation of food standards seen in the US and the UK.
>>
>>7707443
Nice, brah. I would upvote you if I could, you alpha stud, you.
>>
File: thomas-jefferson-hemp.png (415 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
thomas-jefferson-hemp.png
415 KB, 1024x768
>>7710751
I got laid as a 19 year old. It was a spectacular moment in my life, probably why I remember it well.

If that is "alpha" to you, then you have set the bar pretty low. Confidence impresses women my man. But first you must have confidence in yourself.

I was a youngling back then, but I gave that Canadian pussy some good old fashioned American"can do" freedom. I liberated that pussy. I was her first, busted that cherry.
>>
>>7710431
clearly anon lives in a dry climate, western WA here and they mold from the inside

but otherwise yeah. my mom uses this shit for everything and i'd much rather just cook an actual onion
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.