[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spaghetti Will Kill You
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: pasta-sauce-warning.jpg (374 KB, 940x545) Image search: [Google]
pasta-sauce-warning.jpg
374 KB, 940x545
http://www.inquisitr.com/2999902/pasta-sauce-warning-these-products-are-not-intended-to-be-eaten-daily-says-mars-foods/

Mars Food announced Friday that they will soon change the labels on their pasta sauces, macaroni cheese, and certain other products to indicate that they should not be consumed more than once per week. The warning comes as a result of the high salt, sugar and fat content of these products.

According to a press release issued by Mars, their products will be labeled as “everyday” and “occasional” based on the nutritional contents of each item.

The press release also states that the new warning label is necessary since certain products are intentionally high in fat, salt and sugar in order to “maintain the authentic nature of the recipe.”

“As these products are not intended to be eaten daily, Mars Food will provide guidance to consumers on-pack and on its website regarding how often these meal offerings should be consumed within a balanced diet. The Mars Food website will be updated within the next few months with a list of “occasional” products – those to be enjoyed once per week – and a list of ‘everyday’ products.”

cont.
>>
>>7703768

Sky News reports that the Dolmio pasta sauce brand in particular will bear the new “occasional” label, indicating that pasta sauces, lasagna sauces, and even pesto are not fit for consumption more than one time each week.

Other products with less fat, salt and sugar will be declared fit for everyday consumption, while other unspecified products will be reformulated with healthier recipes.

Although Dolmio pasta sauce is primarily sold in the U.K. and Australia, the nutritional content is not markedly different from pasta sauces sold elsewhere. Mars also sells its Uncle Ben’s product line in the United States, which Sky News reports will be reformulated to reduce sugar and sodium content in the U.K. market.

It isn’t clear whether other territories, like the United States, will see the reformulated recipes. However, Reuters reports that Mars does plan to bring the label warnings to territories outside the U.K. where it sells pasta sauces, rice, and other products.

The warnings will be attached to all products that contain high levels of fat, sugar and salt, but Mars has indicated that it is particularly concerned with reducing the sodium content of its products in alignment with a company-wide nutrition criteria that is based on recommendations from the World Health Organization and other public health authorities.

cont.
>>
>>7703772

“To align the global product portfolio with this criteria, Mars Food will reduce sodium by an average of 20 percent by 2021 and reduce added sugar in a limited number of sauces and light meals by 2018.”

The press release also pledges that Mars plans to ensure that its “tomato-based jar products” each contain at least one serving of vegetables each, and that half of their rice products will include either whole grains or legumes.

Despite the pasta sauce warning labels, plans to reformulate Uncle Ben’s products, and pledge to reduce sodium content, the press release only mentions by name the Dolmio, Uncle Ben’s and Masterfoods brands.

According to Reuters, Mars currently has no plans to add warnings to change the recipes of any of its candy products. Some of the candies that Mars sells include M&Ms, Snickers and Starburst.

Do you think it’s necessary for Mars, or other companies, to label products like pasta sauces with warnings that suggest only consuming them once a week? And what kind of message is Mars sending with pasta sauce warnings, while their chocolate bars and candies haven’t received the same treatment?

FIN
>>
Lol I'm too lazy to cook pasta for the pasta sauces anyway. Damn the spoogooters that the kid is going to eat looks delicious.
>>
Wow OP I almost didn't notice that your title spells "Spaghetti will kill you" and the actual article says cheese and salt will kill you, neither of which are found in spaghetti. Such a great attempt OP, but the only people who will fall for this sort of tomfoolery are carbophobes
>>
>>7703776
> Damn the spoogooters that the kid is going to eat looks delicious.

The sauce is poorly incorporated, simply being plopped on top of the spaghetti like that.

>>7703784
> Wow OP I almost didn't notice that your title spells "Spaghetti will kill you" and the actual article says cheese and salt will kill you

Who eats pasta without sauce, other then my grandma?
>>
>>7703768
>high sugar, salt, and fat content
what kind of spaghetti are these idiots eating

just looked at the sauce I use in my fridge, and the entire jar has 35 grams of sugar (5 servings) and 25% of daily salt per serving

the entire package of parmesan I have has less than 800 calories and pasta is all carbs
>>
>>7703792
Who puts so much fat, sugar or salt in their pasta or sauce that you should only eat it one a week?
Processed garbage laden with bullshit to keep it from tasting foul after a year on the shelf? Yeah you should eat as little of that a possible.
Breaking news.
>>
Modern journalism, ladies and gents.
>>
Checking the nutritional values of dolmio it's not even that bad. Like unless you're eating making two jars of the stuff yourself every day it's not going to be unhealthy.

And typically one jar can serve two people, potentially four depending on how much you pad out the sauce.
>>
File: paderno-spiralizer-3-blade-o.jpg (70 KB, 710x710) Image search: [Google]
paderno-spiralizer-3-blade-o.jpg
70 KB, 710x710
>>7703768
IT'S TIME.
>>
>>7703768
Tl;dr some pasta with sauces and cheese have high salts and fats and shit, therefor label change that nobody will listen to.
>>
What a shitty article.
>Highly processed food can kill you!
Well no fucking shit, Sherlock!
This will never be an issue to people who cook their meals from the buttom.
>>
>>7703792
I do that. Did it today for lunch and will do it for the rest of the week. Microwaved pasta is actually healthier than fresh pasta, as the microwaves changes the structure of the carbs and lowering the GI-value.
>>
>>7703768
I thought only old people used prejarred/canned sauces.
I buy a can of like, san marzano tomatoes or something and fuck them up in the can (they're whole) and then just heat that up if I'm having sauce.
>>
>>7703792
>Who eats pasta without sauce, other then my grandma?
He said cheese and salt. is that in all of your sauces?
>>
>>7704099
GI is an irrelevant marketing gimmick invented by meat industry anti-carb (=anti-plant) shills. It has no real life relevance or effect on health
>>
File: 1414638894300.jpg (44 KB, 403x392) Image search: [Google]
1414638894300.jpg
44 KB, 403x392
>>7703772
>Other products with less... salt will be declared fit for everyday consumption

pure momscience
why do people continue to fall for the salt is bad for you meme?
>>
>>7704147
Because excess salt is bad for you, maybe?
>>
>>7704147

because excess salt is bad for you

t. every doctor ever
>>
>>7704147
considering the shit isnt very tasty to start out with this is definitely aimed at lazy flop food moms. whats a kid going to do cry about it?
>>
File: 1323217.png (455 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
1323217.png
455 KB, 500x363
>>7703768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW-BU6keEUw
>>
>>7704154
>>7704163
There were like 2 studies 2 years ago that said both low-salt and high-salt diets kill you faster than moderate-salt diets, they were flawed bullshit though, same as the satfat studies that have been coming out. Just more researchers looking for their 15 minutes of fame on TV by being edgy and saying that everything we thought we knew is wrong.
>>
So basically I can get off the ride sooner if I eat sketti daily?
>>
its not spaghetti you idiot it's the sauce, and the specific sauce, because it has a really high level of sodium
>>
>>7704228
becuase its canned food. all canned food needs salt to taste passable because most of the flavor is lost during the pasteurization process. Its going to taste like nothing if they do change the recipe.
>>
>>7703768
>http://www.inquisitr.com/
What?
>>
File: Ragu3.jpg (233 KB, 1099x789) Image search: [Google]
Ragu3.jpg
233 KB, 1099x789
>spaghetti sauce is high in sodium

Is this really news to people?
>>
>OP'S entire knowledge of pasta consists of pre-made processed sauces
>he literally thinks there is no pasta beyond these products
Get a load of this faggot.
>>
File: spaghetti-781795_960_720.jpg (253 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti-781795_960_720.jpg
253 KB, 960x720
>>7704091
>spaghetti
>highly processed food

It is one of the worlds most simplest foods, bit harder to make than bread.
>>
>>7704333
Sauce, not pasta.
>>
>>7704176
First few verses are funny but it goes on way too long.
>>
Why isn't potassium chloride used more over sodium chloride? Give it the same salty flavor without the negative affects of a high salt diet.
>>
>>7705176

>same salty flavor

it tastes/feels weird man. definitely not the same.
>>
>>7705176
it tastes pretty different and theres also people who cannot use a ton of potassium
>>
>>7705176
you do know that potassium chloride and sodium chloride are both salts, right? and also that too much potassium gets deadly a lot faster than too much sodium.
>>
>>7703774
>Do you think it’s necessary for Mars, or other companies, to label products like pasta sauces with warnings that suggest only consuming them once a week?
I would hope not, but people are so godfuckin' stupid anymore that I just don't know.
>>
>>7703985
I will personally slap the shit of anybody that persists in calling shredded cucumbers, or zucchini or whatever that is, "pasta." if it were cucumber that had been made into a dough somehow and then formed into noodles, then fine. but shaving long stringy bits off of a cucumber and calling it pasta is just going too far. if people can get away with that, then I will open a gun store and sell creamette shells as ammo.
>>
>>7705303
That's zucchini you classless ape.
>>
what kind of monster eats pasta more than once a week

at least eat something good like burgers
>>
File: salt_msg.png (53 KB, 438x395) Image search: [Google]
salt_msg.png
53 KB, 438x395
>>7705176
Potassium chloride does indeed taste like ass (the salty taste is a function of sodium concentration, not chloride or salts in general).

What does make an excellent salt replacement is MSG, too bad people are scared shitless of it
>>
>>7705303
What is the harm? As long as it's prefaced with "zucchini". Zucchini spaghetti, zucchini noodles. Nobody is every going to mistake it for regular pasta, just like nobody is going to be fooled by your pasta bullets.
>>
>>7703768
>high salt, sugar and fat content

Presumably only on the cream based sauces, I can't imagine how they could manage to fuck up bolognese sauce, it's just tomato, onion, garlic and herbs
>>
>>7706529
>I can't imagine how they could manage to fuck up bolognese sauce, it's just tomato, onion, garlic and herbs
>garlic
here's the answer
>>
>>7703985
Replacing the pasta with vegetables doesn't just cancel out all the calories of a sauce that's 90% thickened cream and salt
>>
>>7704354
Even the sauce isn't that highly processed, it's just stewed vegetables or a mix of cream, roux and eggs
>>
>>7706532
To be fair anon a traditional bolognese sauce should be nothing but soffrito with wine, meat and a little tomato paste or cream
>>
>>7706539
Wasn't that his point?
>>
>>7706548
Traditional bolognese doesn't have any herbs either
>>
>>7706551
Yeah, that was the point the guy you quoted was making. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>7705079
I care about your opinion, anon. I just wanted you to know that.
>>
>>7706539
actually there's milk, celery and carrots too
>>7706551
some people do put herbs like laurel and similar in it though
my point is that putting garlic in bolognese or any other kind of sauce is sin
the only pasta that has garlic in it has it as its main ingredient and it's usually stuff like garlic, oil and hot peppers
>>
>>7706533
It does if you use celery noodles because you have to burn calories to digest them :^):^):^):^)
>>
>>7706570
That's absolute traditionalist nonsense. Garlic is a great flavor enhancer for many sauces.
>>
>>7706570
How can you push nonsense like garlic in sauce being a sin because it isn't traditional, when you don't even know what a soffritto is?
>>
>>7704099
>citation required
>>
>>7706467
Should people be scared of MSG?
>>
>>7706602
No, if you use it properly, you'll end up cutting on sodium intake because they extra flavor will allot for less salt needed.
>>
>>7706537
Plus a shitton of salt and sugar
>>
>>7706588
what makes you think I don't know what a soffritto is?
>>7706583
of course that was an exaggeration but the fact that it's "traditionalist" is exactly the point
>>
>>7703985
The title of the thread is clickbait. You shouldn't eat pasta too often because lolcarbs, but the sauces are so loaded with butter, fat and salt they are unhealthy af.

Instead of spending money on that shit, learn how to make a good tomato sauce without a fistfull of salt
>>
>>7706619
>what makes you think I don't know what a soffritto is?
Guy you quoted:
>bolognese sauce should be nothing but soffrito with wine, meat and a little tomato paste or cream
>soffrito
You:
>actually there's milk, celery and carrots too

>the fact that it's "traditionalist" is exactly the point
Well it's a stupid fucking point. Traditional cuisine is fun, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with adding stuff if it improves the dish without transforming it into something else.
>>
>>7706638
I totally missed the part where he said soffritto
>if it improves the dish
that's subjective, and can you mention any sauce that is actually improved by adding garlic?
>without transforming it into something else
most of the time adding garlic to any sauce will make it taste very different, so...

adding something like garlic to a traditional recipe is an easy way to fuck it up, I don't get how it's stupid, garlic isn't the most delicate ingredient
>>
>>7704154
Excess EVERYTHING is bad for you.
>>
>>7706667
>unnecessary caps for emphasis
You're a fag
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.