[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Friend lost a father the other day to cancer. Funeral visitation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: funeral[1].jpg (385 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
funeral[1].jpg
385 KB, 1536x1024
Friend lost a father the other day to cancer. Funeral visitation is tonight and I'm wanting to make a meal for the family. What should I make?
>>
>>7700506
Deviled eggs, maybe a cake with a cute phrase in icing on top.
>>
>>7700506
Just make his favorite thing to eat or something he likes that you can make? Solemn events usually remind me of more simple dishes like a beef stew or even a homemade bread. There's really nothing suitable for the event but stay away from colorful foods. Still, it's more about the act of giving than what you actually give in the end.
>>
>>7700506
Mostacioli. Tastes good and a number of people can eat it
>>
>>7700506

no meat

unless of course you think they want their father's death to be in vain
>>
Crab
>>
>>7700506
Traditional Mexican sugar skulls.
>>
>>7700540
Carcinogens?
>>
>>7700532
uwotm8?
>>
A casserole.
>>
>>7700506
dirt cake and gummy worms
>>
File: funeralspuds.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
funeralspuds.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
Funeral potatoes
>>
>>7700558
I'm trying to get /fit/ and I go to funerals 4 to 5 days a week, that could be problematic.
>>
>>7700558

I know right?

somebody I loved just died and was literally buried right before my eyes and I'm supposed to learn something or change from that?
>>
>>7700566
>I go to funerals 4-5 days a week.
Explain.
>>
>>7700577
I work at a cemetery.
>>
>drinking coffee

What is this? The 90s?
>>
>>7700506
Cupcakes of Sorriness.
>>
Something light. Grief/crying messes up with appetite.
>>
>>7700584
Lel my great grandfather did the sane thing, I still have some chairs from 1890's that were used for funeral services
>>
Bake a chocolate cake with vanilla cream cheese frosting.
Then go buy a groom cake topper and put it on top, face down in the frosting.
Finally, write in red or brown royal icing

sorry your dad dead :'-(

If you're a half decent baker, it'll be both tasteless and tasty.
>>
>>7700551
Typical after funeral tier food.
>>
>>7700506

Smoked crab
>>
>>7700506

tequila jello shots
>>
I dunno, i've only been to one funeral

In the buffet I had onion rings, egg mayo sandwiches, mini pizzas, cheese and chive dip, cocktail sausages, honey nut cashews, and then coconut cream cake

It was a pretty god tier meal, i'd recommend that
>>
I'd go with some real homemade mac and cheese.

Also, don't expect to get whatever dish you give it in back.
>>
>>7700998
>Also, don't expect to get whatever dish you give it in back.

this. make it in one of those single use alum pans
>>
>>7700536
>>>7700653
>Crab
Yeah, less cancer maybe.
>>
File: jakatakPartyCheese69.webm (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
jakatakPartyCheese69.webm
3 MB, 480x270
in trying times like these the comfort of family food can help them approach the grieving process in the best emotional state
with that in mind I had an aunt Myrna who would make a delicious and moist party cheese salad. It's a bit of work, but the results should provide comfort to your friend and family in these trying times.
gad bless
>>
>>7700865
'Merica.
>>
>>7700506

Instead of food, maybe you should work on signs that say

>Lost dad, last seen with Cancer.

>If found, call OP's friend.
>>
>>7700506
not lasagna. they're going to get a lot of it. for some reason everyone wants to make food for people whose family members just died and it's almost always lasagna. at least in new york they do this shit.
I got four sheets of it when my parents died.
>>
>>7700506
When people are depressed or sick especially with a fever, Soup is the best option.

So chicken soup, clam chowder, etc

Maybe some garlic bread too.

Or go to Costco, buy some smoked salmon or st. louis style ribs.
>>
>>7700506
crabcakes, because cancer
>>
me? id serve crab legs
>>
'cago 'za.
>>
>>7701616
>American cuisine
>>
Smoked salmon on top of wheaten bread.
Only funeral I've been to completely revolved around that.
>>
>>7700506
>Sneak into morgue
>Cut off some meat
>Make a stew using his meat
>Pour in a shit ton of laxatives before serving
>Drop the bomb after guests finish eating

You will see everyone puking, crying and shitting themselves.
Best funeral ever.
>>
>>7704180
well aren't you edgy?
>>
>>7704180
You are a fucking genius... sorry penius...
>>
>>7701616
jimcarreydryheaving.jpg
>>
>>7700506
GMO foods and cigarettes.
>>
>>7700506
>Friend lost a father

how many does he have left?
>>
>>7704279
thinly veiled cuck thread?
>>
>>7704286
it's the best kind of thread
>>
>>7704274
(you)
>>
>>7700506
Never understood why someone will put a dead person in a suit, then in a sealed wooden box, then in a hole in a place where a big concrete slab with the name on it sits, and then say that they lost that person.
>Oh I lost my dad to cancer
>Well I know where he is!
>>
File: Laughingwhores.jpg (77 KB, 600x536) Image search: [Google]
Laughingwhores.jpg
77 KB, 600x536
>>7707004
>he thinks words can't have multiple meanings
Sure just got autistic in here
>>
>>7700563
love that shit

I recently figured out I have been making them for years but the whole time I was just calling them cheesey potatoes
>>
>>7700506
F
>>
File: tater tot hotdish.jpg (178 KB, 1077x777) Image search: [Google]
tater tot hotdish.jpg
178 KB, 1077x777
>>7702219
its all the italians ofc, it's not like that outside of northeast/jersey. In the upper midwest it's always fucking casseroles like pic related and green bean tuna

I need to get out
>>
File: inapropriate.gif (800 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
inapropriate.gif
800 KB, 500x282
>>7703404
maybe you can shut your dick holster
>>
>>7700506
>Tailored suits vs baggy shit
>The priest looking at the baggy douche on the phone
>everyone else looking at coffin in sadness

Holy fuck if I was at a funeral for someone I loved and someone did that I'd throw the phone as far as i could

In all seriousness i'd just bottle it up in a confusing mix of grief, tears, and anger but holy hell am I triggered

>inb4 using the word "triggered" = SJW
>>
Is anyone familiar with traditional 'funeral' food?

Do any cultures have a specific meal or food item associated with funerals?
>>
File: jew.jpg (56 KB, 588x647) Image search: [Google]
jew.jpg
56 KB, 588x647
>>7707980
>In Pennsylvania, Amish traditions are a stronghold, with "funeral pie" making an appearance after almost every service. This dessert combines a sweet, custard-like filling with raisins and a flaky, double crust. (It's popularity seems to stem from the fact that it can be made in advance and requires no refrigeration.) Elaborate plates of dried fruits, jams, and jellies (including apple butter) also tend to make an appearance for their ability to sit out for long periods without spoiling.

Mormons make funeral potatoes. Upper midwest makes casseroles. My mind would be blown if older cultures in asia and europe didn't have specific foods

I know Jews have specific food traditions because you're not supposed to cook during shiva, here's a link:
http://www.shiva.com/learning-center/what-to-bring-or-send/food-condolence-baskets/
>>
Liver and onions.
>>
>>7700584
Uh, nobody's forcing you to eat the food.
>>
>>7708262
You tell that to a grieving widow, it's not an easy life Anon, but I sacrifice for people.
>>
>>7701616

you're so disgusted you completely forget about the corpse in the other room
>>
>>7700512
"love wins"
>>
>>7707079

oh god that tater tot casserole. i was sick over last thanksgiving, so my sis-in-law brought us dinner. it was mushy turkey and even mushier tater tot casserole. i think it was tater tots layered with butter and cheese with chicken juice poured over it. just cooked long enough to drive off a lot of the moisture but while leaving it a soupy mess. oh, and mushy peas on the side.
>>
>>7708432
The midwest is capable of some truly horrible food
>>
>>7700506
My Father died last year, I gotta tell you, just make literally anything, something simple.

I can tell you that his funeral was so rough that I cannot remember a single thing that was there at the... whatever they call it, afterwards. But someone bringing something personally would've been something
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.