[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RIBS ARE OVERRATED
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: ribbyribs.jpg (120 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
ribbyribs.jpg
120 KB, 640x426
Living far away from Texas, I always dreamed about eating USA styled ribs. Longly smoked then roasted on the BBQ.

A ribfest is taking place where I live and some Texans were there selling their meaty creations.

I was so deceived. The meat was dry and it was a salt bomb. It wasn't bad but definitely not worth the hype.

Also the coleslaw was actually a cabbage flavored mayonnaise.
>>
>meaty creations
>>
>>7693864
>I had bad ribs
>I will base all my thoughts on one experience

And what the fuck does Texas have to do with anything? We're a brisket state, KC and the Coastal south do ribs.
>>
You are A#1 special ed
>>
if they were dry then shit's just fucked in general
>>
>>7693864

You just had bad ribs man. It happens. I've never made many ribs myself, but it does seem a bit more difficult to pull off perfect ribs than other things.
>>
File: burger_dressed_as_a_human.jpg (102 KB, 500x752) Image search: [Google]
burger_dressed_as_a_human.jpg
102 KB, 500x752
>>7693874
They were shitty texans. And I guess they make a classic rib since they had a lot of prizes.

>>7693880
You're full of gluten men, get treated.
>>
how to make good ribs
make some marinade however you like
soak that rib overnight in the fridge
slather some sauce on that rack
3hr at 250F, flip once in the middle
slather some sauce
40min at 400F
tender and juicy ribs
>>
>>7693937
>how to make good ribs
>make some marinade however you like
>soak that rib overnight in the fridge
>slather some sauce on that rack
>3hr at 250F, flip once in the middle
>slather some sauce
>40min at 400F
>tender and juicy ribs
You may as well boil them then feed them to your dog you tasteless faggot.
>>
>wanting bbq... trusting texans.

you fucked up senpai.
>>
File: el_nino.png (607 KB, 631x442) Image search: [Google]
el_nino.png
607 KB, 631x442
>>7693937
OP here, that's how I make them at home. You can't fuck up this recipe and it's constantly good.

That's why I was surprised that the Southern USA style ribs weren't that great. They have super secret family dry rubs, they smoke them whith great care and the resulting product is not so great.
>>
Texas isn't known for pork ribs, or pork anything for that matter. They do beef. You can get good ribs in any of the other barbecue meccas, though they're all different. I live in memphis so I can recommend a few places here:
>Rendezvous
This is the famous one around here, almost a meme. They started the trend of "dry ribs" as in made with a dry rub with no sauce. The rub's kind of greek inspired because the founder was a greek immigrant. It has things like coriander and allspice in it. They seem to cook the ribs at a relatively high temperature, and sometimes they actually are dry.
>Central bbq
very good. tastes of smoked peppers imho. Ancho maybe. Also cumin
>Corky's
Very tender. Basted with their sauce, which is solid if not a pretty generic memphis style sauce.

I've been to some other places, but I haven't had ribs there.
>>
>>7693981

beef ribs are objectively superior to pork ribs anyways

get good texas. anyone can make a fucking steak not suck.
>>
>>7693969
>I have no taste and I was surprised that my tastelessness biased my trying of a different food
Good post.
>>
File: itputslotionontheskin.jpg (30 KB, 326x385) Image search: [Google]
itputslotionontheskin.jpg
30 KB, 326x385
>>7694025
No men I do have taste, and yes it's subjective.
Those ribs weren't tasting bad, the were just extremely salty and dry.
The coleslaw was pure mayo, but I guess that's a delicacy for Americans.
>>
>>7694043
>No men I do have taste
>I really like baked ribs
>>
>>7693864

>Texans
>BBQ ribs

Choose one.

Also, mayo in cole slaw is for faggots.
>>
>>7694043
I don't get where having food at a carnival and finding it to be warmed over ill prepared to be indicative of American anything. What a dumbass.

Texas is about BBQ brisket, maybe sausages, and maybe all the fusion with mexican cuisine, aka TexMex. And, I'll tell you something else about BBQ, it can suck. It is probably the most hit or miss style of restaurant cuisine in this country. People will rave about this or that location and it will be utter garbage. I think some people like sauce, plain and simple, and the quality of the actual smoking, tenderness, dryness, moistness, fall off the bone-ness, oversauced ripped to shreds pork shoulder swimming in uncooked tomatoey sugar sauce is all relative to what you like. When you get down to food cooked to the right texture for the right cut, that's an art, and it's a dying art. There are fewer and fewer people who know how to be a master smoker.

So, let's talk about the types of people who travel with a truck and sell food at carnivals as some kind of "contest"...it's not, it's just another form of Carnie, 7 out of 10 of the vendors. The public generally likes 1) KC Masterpiece 2) Sweet Baby Rays, 3) Kraft. Mustard sauce? Carolina hot vinegar swimming with chili flakes? Hickory smoke? You won't find a consistently good BBQ joint, especially a chain, you'll find that you like baby backs vs st louis spare ribs at most restaurants, if that's your goal to grow to love those. Even top BBQ joints will ask you "dry rub or sauce?" like they aren't allowed to have picked a personal style themselves. Do I want a bowl to dip my ribs in sauce? WTF no, Glaze that on there or none at all because they're perfect, but they ask because other people demand it, like they're dipping their nuggets in honey mustard.

Cole slaw? Don't get me started on the sweet greasy marinated stuff people like at KFC like its going out of style. But, if you don't like Maries dressing, probably shouldn't order it in any restaurant.
>>
>>7694043
No need for you to get salty, not unlike those ribz you tasted. I'm afraid you simply got rused. A posse of "texans" came to your country and started talking huge barbecue game in order to trick you into tasting their bad pork ribs and cum-soaked cabbage. Don't let that little experience color your perception of american barbecue. It's like if I put half a cup of the paprika from an american supermarket into a stew and concluded that Hungarian food is shit.
>>
>>7693864
Is this a troll thread? Clearly they were bad vendors. Ribs done properly are mouth watering and moist with well moderated salt. Coleslaw comes in all kinds of delicious varieties with flavor elevated way beyond cabbage and mayo (apple, vinegar, mustard, spices, etc).
>>
>>7694097
>>7694117
>>7694105
>>7693990

I get your point m8s. I come from poutine ground zero and some establishments make top tier poutine the right way but all around the globe there are 100s of copycats making a shitty product labeled poutine.

I guess I still have to taste the real shit when I'm back to the south and try all the local styles of BBQed meats.
>>
File: fbfood8 - Copy.jpg (120 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
fbfood8 - Copy.jpg
120 KB, 960x720
>>7693864
ribs are great
>>
File: kek.jpg (8 KB, 181x278) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
8 KB, 181x278
>>7694207
kek
>>
>>7693864
Sounds like they did it wrong, should never be dry and I've never had salty tasting ribs anywhere ever.
>>
>texas bbq
that's where you fucked up. north carolina, missouri, and pretty much any other southern state all have bbq that's leagues better
>>
>>7693874
Live near Houston and unfortunately I've only eaten ribs at Spring Creek Barbecue. Even then the ribs they have a pretty good. What am I missing out on?
>>
>>7695037
>Houston

You fags don't know shit about barbecue, go to CenTex.
>>
>>7693904
Texans who don't live in Texas aren't Texan anymore. You're not Texan
>>
>>7693864
First off, Texas is a shit state and everything they do is wrong.

KC has the best BBQ.
>>
>>7697352
Says the nigger, enjoy your sugar meat.
>>
>>7693864
I love ribs though
I live in fly over country so there's only one place that makes legit good ribs, but they're always closed before I can get off work
>>
Any good recommendations for BBQ in Dallas?

Staying here for work this weekend and its always better to have a local tip than just going off yelp.

Also is Torchy's Tacos worth going to?
>>
>>7693864
whoever cooked it just did a really shitty job. they should be extremely tender when cooked properly.
>>
>>7697393
>Torchy's Tacos

Tourist bullshit.
>>
File: 1355064685855.gif (3 MB, 500x260) Image search: [Google]
1355064685855.gif
3 MB, 500x260
>>7695037
If you can make it to Conroe, McKenzie's Barbeque off of 75/Frazier is fan-fucking-tastic.

It's not the greatest I've ever had, but their brisket and pulled pork are both very good. The bread they use for their sandwiches is awesome too.

Their sauce is quite good.

If you haven't had Rudy's, go for it. They're probably the best BBQ chain, at least that I've had. Good brisket, pork is meh, hot links are great. AWESOME creamed corn. Sauce is also quite good.

Dickey's is trash.

Corkscrew in the Woodlands is supposed to have phenomenal ribs. I'm just never up in time to go before they run out.

>>7695079
Fuck you.

Though there are more, better BBQ joints in Central Texas...

We're not a bbq desert, though.
>>
File: 1388231788512.png (465 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
1388231788512.png
465 KB, 719x719
>>7697414
I bet you don't even know what barbecue is
>>
>>7697405
no shit man just like In n Out, Shake Shack, Halal Guys, etc.

>>7697414
I second Rudy's being a good chain
>>
File: 1435204158215.png (8 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
1435204158215.png
8 KB, 469x463
>>7697422
Nah, you're right. I grew up in Texas with parents that drove my brother and I to damn near every BBQ joint within 400 miles of Houston.

I can't possibly know what you know about slowly cooked meats.

Please do tell, if your euphoria permits.
>>
>>7697414
I have family in Conroe, your barbecue sucks and you make Huntsville look pleasant.
>>
>>7697435
>I don't know what bbq is
>>
>>7697440
I'm sorry that you have family in Conroe, what a shitty place to live. I don't live there though, I'm just south of it.

Huntsville is literally like 2 freeway exits.

I went up there to buy a gun the other week and holy shit, I forgot how little there is up there. I'm sure Huntsville is pleasant because all the darkies are locked up as opposed to walking around Frazier street.
>>
>>7697457
>I live in East Texas and just bought a Hi-Point

Just say you're a nigger next time.
>>
>>7697460
inb4 if you're able to go outside unarmed without having a full blown anxiety attack you must be afraid of guns
>>
File: DSC_0064.jpg (670 KB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0064.jpg
670 KB, 3872x2592
>>7697460
>Thank you for pointing out the nature of your trip. It was critically important that we set the context. Confirming once again how insecure gun owners are.
>he doesnt like guns
>>
File: walker.jpg (758 KB, 4032x1564) Image search: [Google]
walker.jpg
758 KB, 4032x1564
>>7697475
Actually, kinda worse than a Hi-Point in terms of technology, but whatever. And I don't live in Beaumont.

Still want to buy a Hi-Point, vacuum seal it with an extra magazine and leave it in the tank of my toilet.
>>
>>7697542
Go back to /k/
>>
>>7697545
We don't want him.
>>
>>7697573
Would you be willing to split custody and responsibility? /ck/ can cover monday through friday but we want weekends off.
>>
>>7693981
Leonard's is underrated. Also I would kill for a fucking pulled pork from Tops or Colemans, assuming they aren't nasty as shit these days.

>>7695037
Spring Creek is mediocre at best. I found it kind of nasty. Houston only has a few hidden gems. At least go to Austin... but Texas just isn't as good at pork. Hickory is where it's at.
>>
>>7697669
>Texas just isn't as good at pork. Hickory is where it's at.

This.
>>
There are good ribs and bad ribs, there are good burgers and bad burgers.

I've had ribs that weren't worth it before, and some that definitely were.
>>
>>7693904
>They were shitty texans. And I guess they make a classic rib since they had a lot of prizes.

probably from austin
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.