[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this shit on the top shelf next to Tanqueray and Bombay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: beefeater-gin.jpg (109 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
beefeater-gin.jpg
109 KB, 700x700
Why is this shit on the top shelf next to Tanqueray and Bombay at my liquor store when it goes down like rubbing alcohol?
>>
I dont know. In my store they have it on the bottom shelf, even though it's not cheap.
>>
>>7687613
I usually drink Bombay, but got this cause it was slightly cheaper. It has a dimensionless flavor profile, literally tastes like pine needles steeped in isopropanol.
>>
There's literally nothing wrong with Beefeater and Gordin's you pansies. The stuff in the price bracket below them is where the line should be drawn. Anyway, I'm poor atm so I'm drinking Chardonnay and tonic.
>>
>>7687551
I've never seen that happen. Tanqueray and Bombay have enough spent money spent on their marketing that I'm surprised the suppliers allow it.

But >>7688264 is also right. Beefeater is good enough, especially if you're doing cocktails. It just happens to be the bottom line.
>>
>>7687551
>>7687623
>this bumder doesn't even drink gin and eat fancy fucking crisps on a bunking-off day
>>
>>7687551
Tanqueray and Bombay go down like Pine-Sol, so it's in good company.

If the top shelf has regular Tanqueray and not at least Tanqueray #10 then your liquor store is shit.
>>
>>7687551
>Tanqueray
>Bombay
>Topshelf
No.
>>
Beefeater is fine. It's my go-to gin for Martinis at bars because they usually don't stock Boodles.
>>
Beefeater is usually $15. Bombay and Tanqueray are $20-25. Beefeater is a step up from $10 a bottle gin. It's usually the gin I buy. It makes a good gimlet/martini/g&t.
>>
>Hennessey gin and tonic
Fuck I could drink my brain out in that stuff.
>>
>>7689531
Fugg I meant Hendricks
>>
thank fuck i didnt buy this shit if it goes down like ass, was on for cheapsies where i live but i figured i should stick to the usual
>>
>>7687551
Fuck you OP. If you dont like it, dont drink it. No one gives a shit about your opinions you fucking cretin.
>>
>>7687551
Beefeater's great. Gordon's is the one that gives you a splitting headache the day after. Tanqueray and Bombay are for faggot hipsters.
>>
>>7692812

Beefeater's shockingly disappointing. I usually drink McCormick's (it's actually really not bad) and I bought Beefeater's as a treat, and it literally tasted like McCormick's except made with distilled water rather than tap.

Broker's I really enjoyed, though.
>>
Why do people shit on Bombay on this board? It's a very decent gin at a reasonable price.
>>
>>7692873
Because Bombay is shit. How is this even a question?

Go buy some Hendrick's, or Uncle Val's.
>>
If you can find Plymouth gin it's worth a try, usually a bit cheaper than Bombay or Tanqueray.
>>
>>7692882
Hendricks is twice the price but yes it is good.
>>
Gin is terrible.

probably because it came from Brittan
>>
Hendrick's is just marketing. Bombay is ok for mixing with maybe a G&T or something else that masks most of the gin flavour, but if you aren't drinking glorious Hernö Juniper Cask, St. George's or Inverroche you're a pleb.
>>
>>7687551
>Waaah! Why is this entry level gin next to my other entry level gins!
>>
>>7692905
>Gin is terrible.
This. Not that the origin of a beverage matters much if its delicious, but like Southern Comfort, it was a process to mask unpalatable spirits available at the time. It's really an acquired taste which I can imagine appeals to none at first and then craved out of habit after the fact. I love me some juniper berries in recipes, as well as rosemary. But, I could just add them since they're more easily found and better fresh anyway. Very adulterated spirits simply doesn't sit well for cleaner modern palates avoiding hangovers, carbs and too much junk that isn't natural. On the opposite end, vodka can be terrible too, until mixed.

To each their own, however.

OP, product placement isn't by actual quality rating, really. You're an adult, and should have this level of Media Literacy already. If it were true, the most popular wine in the world (Santa Margherita) wouldn't be...and no one would buy Patron over any other blue agave tequila. Kudos on not liking something that is mediocre!
>>
>>7692827
I use beefeater's for gin and tonics. Other gins are too mild or flowery. For martinis I use Plymouth.
>>
>>7689535
tastes of cucumbers
>>
>>7687551
>implying tanquershit is top shelf quality
>implying memebay is top shelf quality

You don't like beefeater because you don't really like gin. Bombay/Tanqueray are geared towards vodka drinkers AKA people who don't drink gin much. I bet you would love New Amsterdam gin.
>>
>>7688284
lel
>>
>suggesting memedrick's

the true hipster gin. I bet you put a fucking cucumber in your G&T too.
>>
>>7692873
>>7692812
>>7688288

Bombay Sapphire is my favorite gin.
>>
>>7694363
If Beefeater is running alcohol, New Amsterdam is Acetone.

I want to try Plymouth, but can't find it around here.
>>
File: 1418337807573.jpg (36 KB, 633x480) Image search: [Google]
1418337807573.jpg
36 KB, 633x480
>>7694391
That's unfortunate.
>>
>>7694430
What would you recommend under $100?
>>
Alright /ck/ what do you prefer?

Olvies or cocktail onions?

If it's olives it's a gin martini (IMHO a wretched hybrid cocktail that substitutes gin for vodka)

If it's cocktail onions, it's a Gibson (the only good way to drink gin)
>>
>>7694628

olives all the way.

cocktail onions are nice for bloody marys though
>>
>>7692892
The fuck are you finding Plymouth for less than $30 a bottle?
>>
Bombay Saphire was made for non gin drinkers. They decided to make it less flavorful and much less junipery in order to encourage people who didn't drink gin to like it.

Anyway, ya'll should try genever. It's a malty botanical gin and it's amazing.
>>
>>7694764
How easy is genever to find in the US?
>>
>>7694628
>gin martini

That's a bit like saying "A rum rum-and-coke" or "A whisky whisky-sour"
>>
>>7694843
But can't you make vodka martinis?
>>
>>7694866
No.
Well, yes, but it's a "Vodka Martini", not a Martini proper.
>>
>>7693622
Its almost like its distilled with some cucumbers fuck face.

Anyway, Beefeater is classic if you don't like it just drink vodka you pantywaist
>>
>>7694453
Monkey 47
>>
>>7694843
Technically, but for a long time now (since before I was of drinking age) it has been necessary to specify because there are a lot of people do expect vodka when they ask for a martini. If you don't specify yourself, the bartender is going to have to ask.
>>
>>7687551
It's gin. Literally flavored vodka.

Just buy burnett's, polar diet lime tonic, tribuno vermouth, a squirt of those shitty lime-shaped bottles and get dickered. Honestly though, unless it's Hendrick's, just get Burnett's.
>>
>>7694898
Other way around
>>
>>7694628
Lemon twist, you fucking imbecile.
>>
>>7695371
It's gotten to the point where the bartender usually also has to ask if you want olive brine in it, because you know they've had drinks sent back because the fuckstick who ordered it couldn't be bothered to ask for a dirty Martini if that's what she wanted.
>>
>>7692936
what the fuck are you saying?
vodka is the worst spirit because it's boring as fuck.
Gin is amazing and interesting. There are botanical, malty, junipery and all sorts of gins.

If you are going to say "adulterated spirits" is a bad thing then you can't enjoy any liquers. Throw out your cointreau your chartreuse your vermouth your campari and every other tasty alcohol.

Don't post about booze again because you clearly have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>7692936
>it was a process to mask unpalatable spirits available at the time
Also literally ALL cocktails have this same origin. The old fashioned was clearly made to mask the terribly cheap whiskey available at the time.
>>
>>7694826
very easy. literally carried by bevmo
>>
>>7695800
Incorrect.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.