[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of cafeteria style restaurants, /ck/? Lucy's,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: IMG_6403.jpg (366 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6403.jpg
366 KB, 1600x1200
What do you think of cafeteria style restaurants, /ck/? Lucy's, Piccadilly, and Furrs come to mind. For you non Americans it's sort of like a buffet, but not. You stand in line and get a tray. First there are assorted salads you can get for additional charge. Then you pick your meat out of about 15 main entrees and they hand it to you. Then you pick two veggies/sides and a bread. At the end if you want you can get dessert for extra money. At the end of the line you pay and sit down, no table service. For whatever reason mostly old people and blacks frequent these establishments.
>>
Sounds retarded. It has all the downsides of a buffet with none of the positives
>>
>>7684329
The food is usually much better, they don't run out of the good stuff, the general public doesn't touch it, and you normally get more food than you can eat for cheaper than a buffet.
>>
Sounds pretty terrible tbqh.
>>
I see them in food courts and highway rest stops, but can't imagine going to an actual restaurant organised in that fashion.
>>
>>7684322

>ribeye steak
>12.49
>pay extra for salad/desert

whew here in america i can eat 8 steaks and 12 deserts for less than that
>>
Clifton's in LA just reopened. Can't wait to go back
>>
>>7684322
But what about the main?
>>
>>7684372
Meat/main, same thing. You pick one. If you're vegetarian you can get four veg and bread instead of meat two veg and bread.
>>
>>7684347
Yeah it's a niche, and I worked at a place like this for a while. I'd you're coming for lunch or dinner you're probably getting fresher than a buffet because the offering is slightly more limited and turn over of food is higher. But, like with any place, a lot if the quality is dependant on the cook. I can't tell you how different the quality can be with two different cooks with the same ingredients.
>>
>>7684322
no offence but that looks like garbage
im sure there are better ones and it was an ok alternative to mcdonalds 15 years ago. I would rather go to a buffete and order to go honestly
>>
The only one I've ever had is Furrs.

It was pretty standard food for an okay price I suppose, but it was pretty average.
>>
File: sokolowskis.jpg (88 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
sokolowskis.jpg
88 KB, 700x525
I used to go to this one fairly often. Polish-style. One trip to this place will reverse a year's worth of dieting.
>>
>>7684388
I was just curious because you only mentioned the starter, salad, sides and dessert.
>>
>>7684329
Furrs is all you can eat, at least in oklahoma it was.
>>
>>7684322
I go to luby's every thanksgiving but the last few years whole fucking famalies show up. Really dampens the mood for all us degenerates.

Also my local luby's is all you can eat on satudays so i go probably once a month on a saturday. The food isn't worth it for the normal price but ob buffet day it is.
>>
>>7684341
>The food is usually much better,

You kidding me? Every one I've ever been to serves slop that's barely better than a school cafeteria or a prison. It's all boring bland shit that's sitting out on a steam table.

I don't see the point because the food is so bad. Who would willingly seek out "cafeteria food" when there are so many better options available?
>>
>>7684627

Hey, I just saw that place on the show Pizza Masters.

Looked pretty mediocre, but it's in Ohio, so what can you really expect.
>>
>>7684322
I don't really trust them because who fucking knows what people have breathed onto that stuff that's been kept warm for hours?

>>7684349
>i can eat 8 steaks and 12 deserts for less
> deserts
Well, if you're eating that much steak, I guess you need some sand for fibre.
>>
>>7684322
I eat at one of those five days a fucking week at work anyway.
Don't want to deal with the same shit on my days off, only without the assurance that if they get someone sick, they'll be out of a job. And more expensive. And likely worse quality than someone who's cooked the same dishes with the same kitchen for years.
>>
Ye boiiii
>>
worked as a chef in dobbies which is a garden center with one of these style restaraunts.

Food wasnt bad, but the amount of waste food was insane.

oh and the fact that if you get hot food its cold by the time youve waited to get a coffee
>>
I quite like the idea but feel the execution is often awful.
There are too many options done to mediocrity that sit for too long and create a metric shit tonne of waste. I can't say I've ever ran in to the issue of anything being cold, though. The real middle class ones aren't too shabby (they usally identify as 'markets' here), but are usually overpriced and have a tragic atmosphere.

The best I've ever used have only had a couple plating options and a salad bar. Simple and quick turn over (nothing sits) that allows for the kitchen to select and fine tune winning dishes. They were usually more akin to staff dinners/cafeterias than public dining.

/blogpost
>>
In America, the Jamaican chain restaurant, Golden Krust, does this.
I fucking love GK.
>>
They have this style at IKEA!
>>
>>7687523
Criminally underrated. In surprised the hipsters on NY haven't claimed it as their own yet
>>
>tfw Furr's no longer in my city
>tfw some old employee bought the building and called it something else
>tfw only good thing are the mashed potatoes with cream gravy

neither furrs nor this place are like what OP describe. it's all you can eat but you have to go back in line, and you pay at the beginning so you get what you want. soda is extra but who the fuck doesn't drink water.
>>
Anyone remember Wyatt's Cafeteria?
>>
>>7684322

i live in charleston south carolina. there is a place called bertha's that follows this and the food is great. for literally 5 bucks i get lima beans, white rice, baked or fried chicken leg quarter, and cornbread.

there is a line out of the door everyday (closed on saturday/sunday)
>>
File: 110056604.jpg (410 KB, 1007x1024) Image search: [Google]
110056604.jpg
410 KB, 1007x1024
>>7687500
Dat big ass 30 pound of roast beef they slice up for you tho. I could beat off to somebody slicing up a piece of roast, nowhere else have i seen them do this. Covered in au jus then you can do up the juice with a bread roll, then eat blue jello and Mac and cheese. 9/10 experience.
>>
Ikea does this where I live
>>
>>7687567
You euro? I'm murrica and used to eat at IKEA. It's pretty much just like a cafeteria restaurant.
>>
File: tnt.jpg (38 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
tnt.jpg
38 KB, 550x413
>>7684322
one of my favourite places to go, the this n that in manchester (uk) is pretty much a cafeteria

good stuff
>>
>>7687527
GKs are usually in areas with too many minorities of the scary sorts (IE blacks, Ricans and Dominicans) for hipsters to feel safe going to.
>>
File: htown.jpg (128 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
htown.jpg
128 KB, 640x480
Mexicans do this really well in Texas
>>
The chain places are shit but there's a southern cooking restaurant near me that has been there for decades. The food is fantastic and the format works because it's designed for people to eat there during their lunch breaks. You can have a line out the door and still get your food within 5-10 minutes. Plus they stay busy so none of the food sits out for long lengths of time. I definitely believe it can work under the right circumstances.
>>
>>7684322
Worst style of restaurant imo desu senpai
>>
>>7687859
This. My mom loves those places and growing up pretty much had to eat at these places. It's like going to a bad buffet, having someone else scoop it for you, then paying too much for the shit.
>>
>>7687538
you can ask waitstaff after you've seated to bring you something else, my mother was always cheap and had them bring coffee so she didnt have to pay
>>
>>7687582
Yes I'm eu.
>>
File: o.jpg (157 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
157 KB, 1000x750
The only dedicated, non-chain cafeteria I've ever been to is Gray Brothers Cafeteria in Mooresville, Indiana. Food was actually really good but the presentation is painful.

Even though servers plate food carefully, no matter what you do the cafeteria food will always look bland without a 'dash of black pepper' or a 'sprinkle of green onion', you know, the kind of shit /ck/ uses to judge the quality of food since you can't taste things through a computer monitor.
>>
>>7684322
>For whatever reason mostly old people and blacks frequent these establishments.
>Whatever reason

Yeah it's fucking cheap and filling.
>>
>>7686312
He can't spell, but you're the only person I've ever met who thinks sand is fiber.
>>
>>7687914
That looks fine to me, personally.
>>
>>7687914
That is way too much food for one meal.

captcha: select all images with pies
>>
>>7688066
It's not enough food. I'd have the same minus the dessert but with lots more vegetables for dinner every day. But then, I don't sit on my ass all day.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.