[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could somebody please explain the whole no true scotsman mentality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Corn-Bread[1].jpg (32 KB, 460x360) Image search: [Google]
Corn-Bread[1].jpg
32 KB, 460x360
Could somebody please explain the whole no true scotsman mentality that surrounds cornbread? I've never had cornbread in my whole life and I would be interested in trying to make some but trying to find a good recipe for the stuff is like searching for the holy grail apparently.

Also give me your cornbread recipes, southerner anons.
>>
>>7683778
Well anon, it's probably like bread in general. There's no one way to make bread
>>
I feel ya op. Usually I just follow the recipe on my bag of cornmeal, sometimes with regular flour, sometimes without. I also omit the sugar and salt it more heavily and if I have bacon drippings/any meat drippings around I'll use those as opposed to like, vegetable oil. Butter might even work in a pinch.

How plain do you take it? It's also pretty decent to saute some chilis and throw them in and possibly throw in a handful of cheese or something. The cheese might be a little overdoing, but the chilis add a nice zing to it
>>
>>7683778
Southern Cornbread is more akin to actual bread.
Northern Corn"""""bread""""" is more like Corn Cake.
>>
because there are many types of cornbread and the ones that add wheat flour and sugar and shit could be seen as 'adulterated' as they compensate for the lack of the right kind of cornmeal.
>>
File: 20160517_231342.webm (881 KB, 720x460) Image search: [Google]
20160517_231342.webm
881 KB, 720x460
>>
>>7683778
Just get some jiffy, add heavy cream, a spoonful of sugar, maybe bacon/jalapeno/cheddar if you want, then throw it in the oven.

Or form an opinion after making it for a lifetime, then join one of the camps about what is "proper" cornbread.
>>
>>7684674
You remind me, my hastily typed recipe at
>>7684655
Needs egg, corn, and sour cream. Nice to fry up the corn until browned at the edges, then blend half with cream.

Also like to do maple syrup butter on the top when it comes out the oven, and bacon fat to coat the pan.
>>
>>7684655
This man is correct. Jiffy is GOAT.
>>
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/04/sour-cream-cornbread-with-aleppo/

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/02/perfect-corn-muffins/

I won't claim that these are "authentic," but they're fucking good

Failing that, you can just make polenta thick enough to be eaten like bread
>>
i like making a dense honey cornbread as a side to a hotter chili. i usually put powdered sugar on top to serve
>>
>>7683778
>Could somebody please explain the whole no true scotsman mentality that surrounds cornbread?
Do you have a fucking clue what you're talking about?
>>
File: ProdAdminImage.png (156 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ProdAdminImage.png
156 KB, 300x300
cornbread is the ONE AND ONLY time i use butter-flavored crisco.

maybe it's a nostalgia thing 'cause my mom made it that way. but it tastes so goddamn delicious with that artificial transfat.

i've tried using real butter. it's not the same.

also: use plenty of sugar. i want my cornbread to be like a dessert cake.
>>
>>7685216

>sweet cornbread

no
>>
probably not at all authentic but this is good

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/moist-and-tender-brown-butter-cornbread-recipe.html
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 296x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 296x500
Buy this op.
>>
>>7685216

Would that be a good use in buffalo wing sauce?

There is a "butter flavored oil' called Whirl that some restaurants use and I'm wondering if that stuff is similar.
>>
I add corn and jalapeños. Bretty gud.
>>
>>7683778
>>7683778
honestly op i made corn "bread" once and it was AWFUL.

i would suggest you make sweetened corn bread, it's really satisfying
>>
>>7685206
It was pretty easy to understand, dumb anon.

OP doesn't know why people insist that the only True Cornbread that exists is their personal version, and crossing over to other cornbread versions would desecrate their ancestors.

It's kind of like how people like to say "No true chili has beans in it", and so on. OP wants to know the True Cornbread Path (tm), or at least comprehend why we're so anal about it.
>>
>>7685546
That being said, I'll place my vote for using bacon drippings, eggs, and roasted corn kernels. Savory cornbread is great with stew.

You can make buttery, sugary cornbread if you want to eat cake with dinner. I won't judge you. I just don't like to make it that way myself.
>>
>>7685206

>that's not cornbread
>but it's a bread made of corn
>no true cornbread has sugar
>this one does
>IT'S NOT CORNBREAD
>>
I'll just add on a recipe from ATK for cornbread using fresh corn kernels pureed and cooked down and folded into the cornmeal dough (seek to 17:10):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2wQZHK0Vpc
>>
>>7685824
Not sure if that's the same as the one in their cookbook, that was breddy gud.
>>
Cornbread:

1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
1 Cup All Purpose Flour, sifted
1 Tablespoons Sugar, granulated
4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Egg, Beaten
1 cup plain yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup water
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (can use bacon drippings, or any fat, really....)

Mix dry ingredients.
Mix yogurt and milk until it's the consistency of milk and add.
Beat the egg and add.
Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
Pour into a greased / buttered pan.
Cook at 425 for 30 mins or until brown.

The plain yogurt can be substituted with buttermilk if you keep that on hand. I don't, but I always have plain yogurt, so that's what I use, and it turns out awesome. I also add 4-5 Habanero peppers into my batter for the heat and flavor.
>>
>>7683778
I love corn bread
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.