[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /ck/ think of chili served in the way system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: three way chili.jpg (777 KB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
three way chili.jpg
777 KB, 4032x3024
What does /ck/ think of chili served in the way system?
>>
The sauce looks a little dry, and I would nix the sour cream, and replace it with onions.
>>
Looks constipating and bloatingly delicious.
>>
>sour cream

heathen
>>
isn't a 3way - chili, cheese, onion?

had it for the first time a few months ago. I was into it.
>>
>>7673968
Spaghetti, chilli and cheese is a 3 way. Adding onions makes it a 4 way
>>
i think this is also called cincinatti-style chili
>>
>>7674011
Yeah, Skyline popularized it. Good shit.
>>
>>7673907
It's not dry, just a thick sauce. I let it simmer for 9 hours.

>>7673932
It's so good though with the sour cream.

>>7674011
Cincinnati style has the connotations that you've prepared the chili in the Cincinnati manner, which I didn't do. So it's just a three way chili.
>>
>>7674174
Adding beans makes it a 5-way. Unless the beans are instead of onions, which I think makes it a 4-way with beans. I'm not 100% sure, I'm sure every place does it differently. But that's the way Skyline does it.
>>
File: CincinnitiChili2.jpg (33 KB, 432x278) Image search: [Google]
CincinnitiChili2.jpg
33 KB, 432x278
>not putting more cheese on it like a normal person

Pic related is a proper amount of cheese for any serving of chili.
>>
>>7675989

still could use a bit more cheese to be 'tic 'nnati 'li, bro
>>
>>7675982
i miss the old memes desu senpai
>>
that looks like an abomination
>>
Chili is the dish with the greatest versatility/taste ratio. Try and prove me wrong.

You can eat it with a piece of bread, in an omelette, with tortillas, even combine it with other meats like putting it on a schnitzel and many many more things you can do with it.
>>
>>7675982
shit i grew up in dayton, we got 3 ways all the time. It didn't make any sense as a kid: spaghetti, chili and an entire bag of cheese. I used to go to skyline during lunch break in highschool, it gave me the most rancid farts afterward. I'd sit in english class after lunch and just rocket farts into my chair, the girl behind me had to ask to be given a new seat.

I don't eat skyline anymore.
>>
>>7673890
If your chili is so bad that using it as spaghetti sauce seems like a good idea your standards are really fucking low.
>>7675982
Then, if the result of chili as spaghetti sauce is so unsatisfying that it requires an inordinate amount of poor quality cheese to make it edible to a "normal" person you're really circling the drain.
>>
>>7678827
Your argument could be worded to fit almost any dish on the planet. I'm disappointed you didn't take it a step further:
>if your meat is so bad you have to load it with seasonings and make chilli out of it then you have shit meat
>>
>>7678848
I'm pretty sure that tough shitty cuts of meat are why we have chili and stews.

But I agree with your sentiment. A better chili simply enhances chili mac. It's not like you are trying to hide the chili. You're just adding textures and making it more filling.
>>
>>7678848
Not at all. Chili is a thing. It's generally served with tortillas, tortilla chips or rice (sometimes beans and rice. It's a meat dish, sometimes with beans added to it. But reducing this dish to a pasta sauce is turning it into something else entirely. It's more like making BBQ a pizza topping - you could do it, but it's not really putting the attention on the BBQ, so BBQ pizza would be very likely to be a terrible example of BBQ. Just like the chili on top of spaghetti (or on a chili dog) is almost always a terrible example of chili.
>>
>>7678883
But that's silly. It doesn't HAVE to be shitty chili. I make a pretty mean Guinness based 3 meat chili. (3 beans too. I give no fucks), On the first day, it's served from the pot. There are typicall saltines ad cheese on hand for those that want them. A few people in the house add sour cream to cut the heat a bit.

Day 2 of they chili is Chili Mac. Spaghetti with a generous amount of chili. And then I melt sharp cheddar cheese over it under the broiler. It's garnished with fresh chopped onion, and sour cream is available again.

To think that Skyline chili mac is even typical of the dish is to do a huge disservice to a great invention. The pasta should not be something you are using to hide the chili. It should be a new experience in textures.
>>
>>7678827
>>7678883
What pretentious cunt
>>
>>7678872

>tough
>shitty

there is nothing better than properly cooked tough cuts
>>
>>7678936
Where I agree with you, to me the art of peasant cooking is making shitty ingredients into awesome dishes.

There is no way you're going to eat offal on its own. But boiled slowly all day long with the right spices and a little acidity and you get Caribbean souse, one of the tastiest foods ever made.

But the point I'm trying to make here, is that tough cuts of meat, are considered shitty by people that lack the technique to turn them into something awesome. Their loss. it mean I can get the meats I want to prepare via braising for next to nothing.
>>
File: rainbows5[1].jpg (45 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
rainbows5[1].jpg
45 KB, 380x285
Chili either goes on rice or on nothing.

Putting it on plain ass noodles was always retarded and always will be.
>>
File: 1450464867754.jpg (5 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
1450464867754.jpg
5 KB, 218x231
>>7679000
>implying rice is anywhere near as pleasing as a semolina noodle.
>>
>>7678919
>not liking garbage food from one of the worst food places in the country makes you pretentious.
nope. people who know better don't eat this shit. the only reason it exists is because in places like ohio people don't know any better than to eat foodgore like this.
>>
>>7679062
It's not even all of Ohio. Just that shitty part of it. A Skyline opened in my little college town here, right in the middle of all of the bars, and they still couldn't last a year.

Chili mac is a great idea. It's delicious. Skyline however is a very poor implementation of the concept. Pretty much any small diner in the state will do it better.
>>
>>7679101
I get it. A Greek guy worked up his own "chili" recipe which is not all that different from a Greek pasta sauce. (I've had pasta with that sauce in Greece). He's in Ohio, so he has no access to good cheese, instead just piling on shitty yellow cheese instead. That's really where it turns tragic, but it's understandable - people didn't know shit about cheese because we'd just come through the war when the ONLY cheese it was legal to produce for sale in the US was American cheese!

And I'm sure that shit was one hell of a novelty to folks in postwar Ohio. But like most 50's and 60's foodgore it doesn't age well. As you said the concept is spot on though. You could make the Greek pasta dish that influenced chili mac, grate a little aged kasseri over it and the result will be delicious. But calling it "chili" is as dated as topping it with a mountain of the worst cheese available. Most people know better than that now.
>>
>>7679153
See>>7678919
But please, keep rambling aimlessly about how people should abandon their regional dishes because it doesn't jive with your unwarranted smugness. You're really close to convincing us to stop liking 3 ways.
>>
>>7679448
I'm not saying anyone should abandon anything. I'm just saying that in a world where most folks know better than to eat American cheese on anything beyond a grilled cheese sandwich or a fast food burger. The only reason that kind of cheese is on the dish is because when it was created there were no other options!

In a world where it's really easy to do better why wouldn't you want to? Because the 3-way is the regional classic? I get that, but it's a classic from a particularly grim time in American cuisine. Especially as far as cheese was concerned. One could argue Chef Boyardee canned pasta is similarly a classic food from that era, but do you really want to eat it?
>>
File: winkwink.jpg (739 KB, 1037x1112) Image search: [Google]
winkwink.jpg
739 KB, 1037x1112
>>7679448
>it doesn't jive

it's jibe actually

and that chili, spaghetti cheese stuff?
Heck I'd eat it why not?
I don't live up my own butt like some pretentious posters we know.
>>
File: makaroniamekima.jpg (128 KB, 495x400) Image search: [Google]
makaroniamekima.jpg
128 KB, 495x400
>>7679577
>pretentious
I still say why would you eat the dish in OP pic when you can easily eat the better dish on which it's based? Pic related.
>>
>>7673890
The way system? What?
Also I've never seen sour cream with chili like that.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.