[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prepped/Canned Meal Life spans/durations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
So I'm looking at acquiring a stockpile of food over several months or so; no real time frame though the sooner the better .
Looking for food items in cans, bags i.e. chili, beans, rice; food stuffs that will last a long duration of time without being touched at your normal room temperature .
I'd prefer not to buy those over-priced "survival" bulk packages of dehydrated food you see online for $600+
Any tips or tricks other than check the weekly ads for discounts ?
I'd appreciate any assistance with brand names or types of food that will last as stated above !
>>
>>7670705
rice stores for years with no problems

so do dried beans

you don't even have to get cans, they store fine in plastic sacks, although I suppose it's harder for vermin to get in if it's canned

also, save bottle tops, these will be the new currency
>>
>>7671826
I really didn't mean for it to be another dumb >lolbutzombiesthatmeanspreptime, thread
Concerned with realistic issues i.e. Large Earthquakes, civil unrest, etc.
Anyhow dried beans ?
We talking dehydrated ?
>>
>>7671992
I'm not sure what the difference is, since they both remove moisture

mold can't grow without moisture, so both should be good

not an expert though, been building up my pantry the last few months, mainly gone for rice and pasta, I just buy twice what I need every shop

definitely a good idea to have some food in just in case
>>
Rice
Dried beans (get a few kinds)
Lentils

Anything commercially canned (metal cans) is good indefinitely as long as the can is not dented, bloated Or otherwise altered.

Hone canned goods -should- be eaten in a year. But really if they were done properly they will last longer.
>>
>>7672223
Any canned goods ?
like I know Spam is on sale a lot
other than that how's about canned veggies ?
I for some reason feel a can of fruits or vegetables wouldn't last nearly as long as spam for example
>>
Being that I'm currently eating cereal that reminds me; what's cereal's shelf life like ? I'm sure the expiration or best by dates aren't absolute, though I wonder what kind of leeway I've got
>>
>>7672267
Anything canned commercially is no issues as long as the can is not damaged. Yes, that means fruits and veggies and spam.

>>7672278
Dried ceral? Unopened a year plus. Humidity getting To it is the issue.
>>
File: 1456286862974.png (631 B, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1456286862974.png
631 B, 400x400
>ctrl+f
>no canned squid
>>
File: mountain-house-canned-food-2.jpg (34 KB, 420x260) Image search: [Google]
mountain-house-canned-food-2.jpg
34 KB, 420x260
I've heard that Mountain House products can last something like 25-30 years.

>I'd prefer not to buy those over-priced "survival" bulk packages of dehydrated food you see online for $600+
I guess this technically qualifies as that. BUT, those expensive packages are meant for families and whatnot. If it's just you, the price becomes a lot more reasonable.
>>
>>7672344
So what's the expiration date on the cans for? To make people think they're expired so they go out and buy more?
>>
>>7672441
Mountain house is the absolute shit. Long time companion on my backpacking trips and always satisfying
>>
>>7672394
I love tinned squid, but only the ones in ink sauce.
>>
the Infowars Life Select: sale is still going on athttp://store.infowars.com/-Emergency-Survival-Foods_c_80.html
>>
>>7672449
Pretty much.
>>
The problem with dried things like rice and especially beans, is that they require both water and a hell of a lot of fuel for their hours of simmering to make them edible.

That is fine when everything is working, but in the event of a disaster you may not have gas or electricity so you had better have a large supply of firewood and an outdoor cooker if you are going down that route.
>>
As someone who survived a major hurricane on a Caribbean island. No power for 5 weeks at my residence, running water was not restored for almost two months. The following may sound like a prepper talking....

Had maintained a rotating supply of bottled water before the event (five 5 gallon bottles). After the hurricane limited access to water was possible. Used a golf club carrier with a water bottle strapped to it for transport.
Canned goods last and have easier prep when you do not have a water supply.
Things in soft sided packaging lasted but had rodents as a storage issue (always even before the hurricane). Most needed additional water water to consume.
Dried goods lasted a long time in proper storage but we could not use till we had rainfall or easy access to water. Prep also took longer.

As a aside

Figure how your are going to get your self around and collect stuff/go to work post disaster. I commuted to work on a bicycle once power was restored to town

The food and water for our cats and dog protected our food and sleeping area from vermin/rodents/people. The dog barking woke us up in time to stop a guy from stealing our stuff. The cats kept our soft sided supplies safe from critters.
>>
>>7672449
I've heard it told that the dates are mandated by state regulations or something similar
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.