[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make frozen salmon suck less? I can't steam in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
How do I make frozen salmon suck less?

I can't steam in in my rice cooker cause the color drips out.
>>
>>7669515
>How do I make frozen salmon suck less?
You can't

eat fresh or smoked salmon instead
>>
>>7669515

Keep it away from your dick.
>>
Thaw it, season it, grill/pan fry it, make a sauce for it.

If you're steaming it in your shitty rice cooker you might as well just buy canned stuff.
>>
I tried making gravlachs with thawed salmon the other day and it was putrid.

I took two thawed fillets, dried them off with a paper towel, poured a mixture of 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup granulated sugar over it and rubbed it in, then finally I sprinkled on a bunch of dried dill and wrapped it tightly in cling wrap. this sat in my refrigerator for 3 days with a plate and a pack of chicken wings weighing it down.

The end result was not edible and extremely salty/sugary and it didn't cut thinly or have a light color...it had almost a purple color.
>>
>>7669550
I just vomited
>>
>>7669515
>the color drips out.

Bruh it's food coloring.
It's not going to make the fish taste better or worse.
>>
i tried to cook frozen salmon once on my skillet i didnt know what to do with it i just added some olive oil because i didnt have anything else needless to say i also had brown rice with it but the skin didnt taste good
>>
Just google some simple salmon recipes. A good one is thawing it first, rubin it with some lemon pepper seasoning, chop up a couple garlic cloves and fry them on medium heat in some butter, put the salmon in the garlic butter. 7-8 minutes on each side depending on thickness
>>
File: daisylifts.webm (1 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
daisylifts.webm
1 MB, 720x720
>>7669515
I don't get this, people eat garbage beef and chicken like it's nothing, but act like fish quality makes a difference. If you're cooking it and putting seasoning on it then it doesn't make a difference.
>>
>>7670315
It clearly does make a difference but the people in this thread are overreacting. Frozen salmon is still pretty damn tasty.
>>
>>7670560
Frozen salmon is usually better than "fresh."
>>
>>7669515
Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours.
Salt and pepper.
Oven at 375 for 20 minutes.
>>
>>7669515
Bit of soy, honey, finely diced garlic chilli and ginger. Chopped fresh corriander/cilantro (including roots) and fresh lemon grass. Add a few drops of sesame oil and a decent squeeze of lemon or lime.

Marinate for several hours. Then bake skin up for around 15 mins at 180 Celsius. Cooking times will vary with salmon size. Make sure you clean the marinade off the skin when you put it in the oven to help ensure it crisps up.
>>
>>7670632
this
>>
>>7669515
Make salmon burgers with it.
>>
File: 20160417_202837.jpg (802 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
20160417_202837.jpg
802 KB, 2240x1344
Ain't nuttin wrong with frozen as long as you cook it correctly. Which means cast iron, high heat, and an oil that can handle it.
>>
>>7670726
What is the seasoning? pepper? doesnt pepper burn?

I like that it covers the pink colour and the white things of salmon
>>
>>7670726
> cast iron
Stopped reading there
>>
>>7669550

First, Gravlax

Second, it needs to breathe. lay it on a kitchen towel, salt it, then put on a cooling rack in the fridge with a pan under it to catch the liquid.

Third, you only need 24 hours.

Fourth, you need to gently rinse off the salt and sugar. The surface should look fairly dry. Brush it off gently and use a damp towel to remove the remainder of the surface salt. Some people rinse it under cold water, and although it sounds counter-productive, can be effective if done quickly.
>>
>>7669550
What the fuck were you trying to do? Just throw it out and save yourself 3 days next time.
>>
File: IMG-20160501-WA0004.jpg (338 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160501-WA0004.jpg
338 KB, 3264x1836
>>7669547
>Canned salmon

Never. Again. It looked like dog food except you wouldn't even feed it to your dog. I saw a can in the basement pantry and thought "why not?". Well, pic is why not. It was full of bones, too. Needless to say I chucked it away immediately.
>>
>>7669515
you could try putting them on tin foil with a little olive oil, maybe some lemon juice, a little salt and pepper, then make them into parcels, put them in the oven. don't even have to defrost first, I think I usually do them from frozen at 190 degrees c for about 20-25 min

nice with new potatoes and veg of your choice

make a sauce if you are feeling daring
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.