[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wanted to buy some actual parmesan cheese because the pre-grated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Parmigiano_reggiano_piece.jpg (65 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Parmigiano_reggiano_piece.jpg
65 KB, 800x600
I wanted to buy some actual parmesan cheese because the pre-grated stuff is garbage, but I don't need a whole lot and don't know how long it will keep. I googled it and got varying statements so I'm wondering if /ck/ has any suggestion, for this and other cheeses as well I guess.
>>
have a block of the stuff right nah just keep it in a airtight plastic bag that should keep it good for 2+ months
>>
>>7665972
You can wrap it in wax paper, and then in foil. It'll keep a couple of weeks easy.

It has a lot of uses, though. I can't imagine not using it all up.
>>
>>7665995
+in the fridge
>>
if it gets too hard just cube it and chuck it in minestrone
good use for the rind too
>>
>>7665995
I've had a wedge of parm in the fridge for close to a year now, still immaculate as far as I can tell.
>>
>>7666000
dubbatrips speaks truths
>>
File: 1456377057178.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1566) Image search: [Google]
1456377057178.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1566
>>7666000
This, also trips. Trips speak truth.
>>
cheese can be frozen, its not a problem
>>
>>7666786
>parm
Faggot.
>>
Use it in breadcrumbs when you make schnitzel.
>>
>>7667433
oh no i'm sorry it's Parmesan reggiano, and don't forget the inflection you stupid american!!!
>>
>>7667665
Sorry Wisconsin, but no matter how much you insist, your «cheese» never will be
>>
A hard cheese like this will keep fresh for a loong time. If any mold grows on it, you can cut it away and it'll be fine.

Besides, you can freeze this easily. The cheese is easily thawed as well, so you could just keep it in the freezer until you need it if you're afraid of it going bad.
>>
>>7665972
costco sells good sized wedges that you can keep sealed and will probably go through before it gets bad
>>
>>7665972
In my experience it usually lasts for at least a good month if you store it properly. Hard cheeses are pretty resilient.

You can also freeze it, and it will still be better than most of the pre-grated "parmesan."
>>
>>7665972
I'm Italian and trust me, buy a Parmigiano that has been aged at least 24 months (it will last longer), put it in the fridge in a plastic or glass container, be sure it doesn't get a lot of air, it will last for about 30-40 days, if you see mold on the surface you can remove it with a knife.
>>
Why do Americans spell it 'Parmesan' but pronounce it 'Parmigian'?
>>
>>7667426
it's already fucking frozen you poofter, since tis neither liquid or gas, m'lady
>>
>>7671464
To confuse simple-minded Yuropeons.
>>
>>7669334
It just isn't fair
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.