[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a bunch of chili ingredients but no ground meat, in fact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: A Kiwi.jpg (40 KB, 461x370) Image search: [Google]
A Kiwi.jpg
40 KB, 461x370
I have a bunch of chili ingredients but no ground meat, in fact I have no meat at all. How should I best make this chili? I really want chili.
>>
Prepare a spicy tomato sauce, I guess, because that's the best you'll do.

Faggots will say to use beans, but you don't use beans in chili.
>>
I found a 19th century recipe book for kiwi in Invercargill. It was $200. Still kind of regret not buying it.
>>
>>7662784
>A beanless meatless chili
>>
>>7662784
>tomato in chili
shig
only faggots put tomato in chili
>>
>>7662784

Homosexuality is determined by how much you worry about ingredients in chili. The Texas homosexuality index is based on chili ,in the same way the Philadelphia homosexuality index is based on cheese steaks.
>>
Beans rule.
>>
File: yeahs.jpg (26 KB, 348x321) Image search: [Google]
yeahs.jpg
26 KB, 348x321
>>7662784
>>
>>7662768
You really can't.
Somebody might give you an idea, but it won't make what you crave. Go to the nearest supermarket and buy whatever meat is in the manager's special. You can get some shit for liek 30c a pound sometimes
>>
I just wanted to make chili. I didn't mention beans in the OP because I knew this would happen. Beans are good. Please I'm so hungry.

>>7663143
>30 cents for a pound of ground meat

Do you live in Thailand? Africa maybe? Shit's expensive here
>>
>>7662768
There's always meat available in a pinch. How many arms do you have, OP? How many do you really need?
>>
>>7663151
No, northwest USA. Like I said, managers specials. Its stuff past prime that won't sell whole price, and its usually not ground. But cut it into small chunks yourself and you get a heartier MUCH cheaper chili. The quality isn't that important because your cooking the shit out of it anyways.

If it matters I am a professional cook, and have won 3 chili cook offs. I'm not trying to get you sick
>>
>>7663161
That does sound much nicer than ground meat, but past prime stuff around here is usually 25% off at most. I usually wait until ridiculous sales then buy a bunch of meat all at once. I bought 30 pounds of ham not long ago for like 20 bucks.

What's your secret to chili then? Trying to get real good at it. I love the stuff.
>>
>>7663170
Well "chili" is a broad term. I usually make it from myself as kind of a cabinet clearing. Just some general tips though:
>fresh produce when possible
I use dried peppers a lot, but add near boiling water to get them diceable again
>if using a roux, use a dark one
>let it cook as long as possible
>take note of when you add certain ingredients
If you add your onions/bell peppers/whatever at the start they will get soggy and not have as much of that nice crunch to them in the end. A lot of the time I will sautee my veg on the side and add them in very last so they are cooked but not soggy

Most importantly
>taste and adjust frequently
You can always add more spice, salt, whatever, but taking away is much more difficult. The flavors will concentrate as more of the liquid evaporates as well, so taste every once in a while, and add PINCHES at a time. You don't want to spend all this time cooking and end up with a product too salted to eat.

I can answer more specific questions if you have them, but not trying to type a book right now. Hope this helps.
>>
>>7662768

You can't.

Literally, you can't. Chili by definition must contain meat. It's the shortened name of chili con carne. "Beef with chiles."
>>
>>7663197
Thanks anon. I usually use a slow cooker because I don't have a big pot, or even a proper stove top right now. Single burner cooking is suffering. So just add in the onion and such maybe halfway through instead of right away then? My chili usually ends up as more of a thick, spicy pasta sauce anyway. I put finely chopped cabbage in there for cost/nutrition efficiency, for example.
What spices do you usually put in there? I use chili flakes, cumin, a bit of cinnamon, and chili powder.
>>
>>7663208
Yeah, halfway sounds about right.

The spices I use depend a lot on what ingredients I'm usings. You've got a good start, I might add cayene , herbs like oregano or thyme (recently made one with lamb and rosemary that was amazing). And again use whole peppers as opposed to flakes/powder whenever possible.
>>
>>7663222
Perfect, much appreciated. Guess I'll check for sales on meat I can cut up. Doubt ham would work too well, still have about 12 pounds of it.
>>
>>7663208
Also try looking at different recipes, find one that has a lot of things you like for a guideline then just wing it from there. The best way to learn to cook at home is to not be afraid to experiment and fail.
>>
>>7663227
Shit, ham MIGHT work. Id be sure to cut the added salt. Maybe add some apple cider vinegar or something sweet to cut the savoryness of it. Never know unless you try right? Have fun with it.
>>
>>7663231
I don't know if I'm a confident enough cook to make it work. I'm all for experimenting but money is money. I'll see what I have around and maybe I can convince myself to.
>>
File: 1304466653900.jpg (147 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
1304466653900.jpg
147 KB, 500x288
>>7663237
I would get a giant can of beans, canned tomatoes, pack of chorizo, round up the spices and go for it..

If it matters I am a professional maintenance worker and have won 3 taco and 2 nacho cook offs at my work.
>>
>>7663151
>Shit's expensive here
Don't you have an Aldi's? Hell, even some dollar stores sell meat and produce.
>>
>>7662802
sounds interesting... you remember the recipe?
>>
>>7662768
Just use a few types of beans/legumes to replace the meat. Whenever I make a vegetarian chili con carne I like to use kidney beans, pinto beans and chick peas.

Though I usually put kidney beans in my chili regardless of whether it's vegetarian or not.
>>
>>7663818
>vegetarian chili con carne
So you mean chili sine carne
>>
>>7663756
It was a bland british stew im sure kiwi is delicious af though
>>
>>7663853
i think too
>>
>vegan """"""chili""""""
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.