[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come almost every source disagrees hugely on how long to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: images (1).jpg (7 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
7 KB, 262x192
How come almost every source disagrees hugely on how long to cook steak? It ranges from 3 minutes for "medium" to 8 minutes for "medium-rare", for the same cut, at the same cooking temp.

I want to sear some rib-eye my dad got for me and I want it medium-rare. Can anyone help?
>>
using a recipe for steak is like using a cheat sheet for cunnilingus. just fucking get in there and listen. on the other hand it is important that your steak is dry and you don't handle it too much.
>>
>>7660593
Every source disagrees because there are too many variables. How thick is the cut of meat? How lean is it? How hot of a pan or grill did you start with? How efficient is your stove or grill at distributing hear?

You judge based on squishiness. Compare it to how squishy parts of your palm and wrist are, and you'll know it's doneness, as seen here : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O8YQX-QgbXc
>>
>>7660593
show us your steaks or describe their size, thickness and weight and your intended cooking method ie stove top, oven, grill, gas or charcoal
>>
>>7660617
>You judge based on squishiness.

the smart thing to do is to use a thermometer instead

that squishness thing is largely bullshit, especially if it's your first time making steak
>>
>>7660593
What the fuck temperature are you people cooking your steaks at? It takes me a good 45 minutes to an hour to cook a steak.
>>
>>7660643

>that squishness thing is largely bullshit,

it's not bullshit, but it does vary from steak to steak.
>>
>>7660648

yeah I might've stated it too strongly.
>>
File: wtf.gif (1 MB, 320x289) Image search: [Google]
wtf.gif
1 MB, 320x289
>>7660646
>It takes me a good 45 minutes to an hour to cook a steak
>>
>>7660617
>>7660643
>>7660593
I second the meat thermometer thing for checking done-ness.

IDK if other people do this, but before I had a thermometer, I would flip the steak. Then I cut a slice into the center and see how much blood/juice comes out. After a few cuts I could judge that the center was cooked enough (depending on what you want).
>>
>>7660760
he boils his steak
>>
>>7660593
If you're only flipping once then I remember a trick I learned from one of MPW's videos on YouTube that you can tell a steak is med-rare when the red juices start forming in the top surface after the flip
>>
If blood starts coming out of the top of your steak when you're cooking it, then it's medium-rare.
>>
>>7663747
so if i cook it on one side for 18 minutes and blood starts coming out the top then it's medium rare? thanks
>>
>>7660593
>How come almost every source disagrees hugely on how long to cook steak?
Because it depends on the cut of steak, the thickness of the steak, your pan, the amount of oil, how much heat you're using and many other factors.

The best way is to look, listen and feel unless you get a feel for how it works with your pan, oil, steak of preference, gas etc.

Poke the steak and compare it to how the flesh below your thumb feels, like in pic related. From left to right it's rare, medium rare, medium and well done.
>>
>>7663985
That's about the dumbest fucking advice ever
>>
>>7664051
Thank you for your constructive criticism.
>>
>>7663985
>>7664051
It's seriously fucking dumb, though. After playing percussion for years, that part of my palm is rock-hard when flexed
>>
>>7662651
thats terrible. youre terrible. youre just not smart. A lot of people cook steak like this. Some, I assume, are good people. but the fact is, cutting the steak lets the juices run out. you end up with, lets face it, a dry steak. Nobody likes dry steak. You don't like it, I don't like it. I know steak! I sell the best steaks. The very best. Made in America! But if you take, if you allow Hillary Clinton to cook these steaks, she'll cut into them. Before they've rested. Before they're ready. And they'll be dry! The texture will be ruined and you know, texture is as important as flavor. MORE important, some might argue.

No, the way, the way to cook a steak, andthe experts agree, I have experts working for me and they all agree, the way to cook a steak is by feel. Frankly, the only people who use thermometers are pussies. And the only people who cutinto a steak, are idiots.
>>
>>7664138
So is everyone's, the point is to just place those fingers together.
>>
>>7664195
forty keks
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.