[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I start if I want to become good at cooking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Where do I start if I want to become good at cooking?
>>
First you need to get a proper chefs knife and some at least halfway decent pans.

Second you need to get a good handle on ingredients. Go to a farmers market or a fish market or a butcher and ask for advice in choosing proper ingredients of their field. If your ingredients are shit then your final product will be as well.

Thirdly you have to watch God of Cookery

Fourthly you need to start making food. If you are trying something new look up 3-5 recipes on what you are making and take what you will from each one to make your own dish and then tweek it. Anyone can follow a recipe but to be good at cooking you need to be able to do it without written instruction.
>>
>>7656245
Not on /ck/, that's for sure.
>>
I bought a good set of stainless steel pots and pans, and a Rachel Ray cookbook. Look online for recipes, too. The first time you cook a recipe, cook it exactly like it says, then subsequent times tweak it to add more of the flavors you like and less of the ones you don't like. Sooner or later you'll figure out principles based on this and be able to apply them to other things, thus creating your own dishes.
>>
Get a Blendtec blender, get a Kitchenaid mixer, get an iron cast pan, get any $200 chef's knife, then leave it all sitting unused in the kitchen while you shitpost on /ck/. Guaranteed results.
>>
>>7656267
>>7656273
>>7656284
>>7656298
Why is chefs knife so important? Should I start reading cookbooks and start attempting hard recipes? Right now I can only make very simple recipes with chicken or turkey fillet, eggs, etc.
>>
>>7656327
You won't really need a fuckton of different knives until you git gud and can appreciate what they do differently. A decent chef's knife, filet knife, and paring knife are all you'll need starting out.
>>
>>7656335
I have all of these because I live with my parents.
>>
>>7656342
Key word here is decent. I assume if you are coming to us to ask how to cook well it means your parents are not good cooks and therefor your parents knives probably need a good sharpening. You can get them done for $10-$20 at pretty much any knife shop.
>>
>>7656245
I BET THE JUDEX THIS
>>
>>7656245
Get a job in the industry

I worked dining hall through college and learned from the chefs there

went to a ritzy school so we had some chefs with storied pasts, one ran the Mayflower for a bit and he fuckin' taught me how to make pasta and make tomatoes into flowers
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.