[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is he a just meme or actually a good chef?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4
File: diQRVDo-.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
diQRVDo-.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
So is he a just meme or actually a good chef?
>>
Both.
>>
he's a competent but uninteresting chef and a very good businessman
>>
>>7655935
What makes a chef interesting? Is his food just bland?
>>
>>7655929
He is a pretty good cook but an amazing chef, the chefs job in the kitchen is to make sure you have the right people in the right place at the right time, Ramsey nails it as a manager.
>>
>>7655950

no it's not bland it's just not particularly unique. he had his own style in the 90s but it didn't evolve very much as his priority seems to have been just expanding his business.
>>
He's an alpha who fucked his boss's wife as a teenager.
>>
>3 Michelin Stars every year
>meh, he's merely a competent chef, he's uninteresting
>*microwaves hot pocket*

/ck/
>>
>>7655975

they don't give out michelin stars primarily on the basis of innovation.

you don't have to prove your qualifications to express an opinion.
>>
He's run several successful restaurants and has accolades aplenty. Sounds to me like he's a good chef.

Just because he's a cum-guzzling douche buffet doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing.
>>
File: 2015-09-30_11.15.05.jpg (295 KB, 1078x1322) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-30_11.15.05.jpg
295 KB, 1078x1322
>>7655929
He's no meme, you've lost the plot kid.
>>
>>7656334
How do you make an omelette in 30 seconds without ending up with a blue rare egg with rubbery outer texture?

I would eat omelettes every morning if I could make them that fast.
>>
>>7656347
https://youtu.be/s10etP1p2bU

The second omelette was on the heat for about 40 seconds
>>
>>7655981
>I have no idea what I'm talking about but I DEMAND to be humored

cancer.
>>
>>7656379
>scraping the non stick pan with a fork

NO STOP AT ONCE
>>
>>7656379
Hmm.... I do it the first way, but don't let the butter brown and I fold and scoop it with a big spatula. I'll have to try the "classic french" way.
>>
>>7656410

Nigga, they've invented nonstick pans that don't die from a fork.
>>
>>7656425
I move the pan in a circular motion so the egg gets onto the sides and cooks quickly and then I spatula it towards the middle and repeat before flipping it in the pan.

Making omelettes was the only thing I enjoyed about breakfast shift and I always put some sort of 4 egg omelette special up.
>>
>>7656431
Do you see that video quality? That's like 16 years old right there. They didn't have our fancy microfillament titanium gotham steel stoneline pans made with real diamonds back then.
>>
>>7656454
listen to the fork going over it, it's not a teflon or coated pan it's anodized aluminum (safe to use with metal utensils)
>>
>>7656379
JUST
SCRAPE
MY
SHIT
>>
>>7656622
>every pan is a $20 walmart brand sprayed with teflon
>>
At the very least, he's apparently a really humble and down-to-earth guy
>>
OLIVE OIL
>>
PAN
>>
>>7656383
>i'm in a really bad mood
>>
ON THE HEAT
>>
>>7656454
ok jacques pepin doesnt know how to cook, you're right
>>
>>7656347
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qCi-buLGPM

get rekt
>>
>>7655929
He's a better chef than most people on this board. Whether he can compete in the big leagues is something I don't know, though I doubt it, but you don't get that famous without at least being pretty good.
>>
File: 121.png (235 KB, 365x379) Image search: [Google]
121.png
235 KB, 365x379
>>7656379

>salt in the egg mix
>>
>>7656765
>>7656779
>>7656795

He

Talks

Like that
>>
>>7657232
he has multiple michelin stars you fuck
>>
>>7657232
>big leagues
Yeah uh. He could totally steal third base while Alton runs interference to hold Flavortown back and hit a hole in one.
>>
>>7656383

i doubt you've either eaten at his restaurants or worked in your own.
>>
>>7657232
He was classically trained in France and holds multiple michelin starred restaurants.

If you're not informed on a subject feel free to not share your opinion.
>>
>>7657280
>>7657275

why did you get so vociferous in response to *that* post? the guy just said 'i don't know if he's good but he probably is'
>>
>>7656622
Yeah right you idiot. Look again its an anodised pan.
>>
>>7657284
>He's a better chef than most people on this board. Whether he can compete in the big leagues is something I don't know, though I doubt it

He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Aubergine held 3 michelin stars, he is a world class chef.
>>
>>7657289

obviously he doesn't know what he's talking about, he's said it himself

why do people let themselves fanboy over fucking chefs?
>>
>>7657296
Frankly I don't care what Ramsey is up to, what I think is pointless is someone who knows next to nothing trying to put his opinion across.

His opinion is worthless on this topic and therefore he is shitposting.
>>
>>7657298

your disproportionate reaction to a knowingly inane and inoffensive statement makes me think that you're really insecure about people thinking GR is a charlatan.
>>
>>7655981
>they don't give out michelin stars primarily on the basis of innovation.

No one said it was "primarily" on that basis. But that is one of the standards that Michelin base their criteria on; how do you think places like Noma get two stars?
>>
>>7657304

>how do you think places like Noma get two stars?

being good restaurants.

you can be an extremely traditional restaurant and get three stars.
>>
>>7656710
He grew up on a Glaswegian council estate and his brother is a smackhead, so yeah he doesn't have much of a basis for sticking his own head up his arse.
>>
>>7657301
The post could have been about anything, the fact is he didn't know what he was talking about.

He should have gone to a different thread and posted about what he knows about, or contributed to the discussion in a way that isn't meaningless.

It is shitposting, and /ck/ is already a slow enough board. Filtering out even more posts just makes the board even more shitty.
>>
>>7657307

yes he does, he's nouveau riche, they are like the most vulnerable group for pretentiousness
>>
>>7657309

if you think that was shitposting you are clearly two miles into gordon ramsay's large intestine right about now and your escape rope is long snapped
>>
>>7657318
>shitposts complaining about a shitpost complaining about a shitpost

That's enough /ck/ for me today.
>>
>>7657305
>being good restaurants.

Well no shit. There I was thinking Michelin handed out stars for being *bad* restaurants.

>you can be an extremely traditional restaurant and get three stars.

Of course you can, you stupid fuck. If you're not innovative but make the most amazing tasting food ever, you can get stars. If you're amazingly innovative but make food that's a fiddly, you can get stars.

Do you know why?

Because Michelin judge based on a series of categories, all of which when added together determine the rating of the restaurant. Different restaurant can be stronger in different categories.

This is hardly a fucking mysterious system of reading runes and consulting the elder Gods.
>>
>>7657323

i'm not complaining about shitposts, i'm just ridiculing the guy for trotting out the 'gordon ramsay must be beyond criticism because someone i don't know said he was good' crap. guy has legions of sycophantic sofa masturbators at his heel
>>
>>7657324

>Well no shit. There I was thinking Michelin handed out stars for being *bad* restaurants.

the point is that they don't give out michelin stars primarily on the basis of innovation.

>Because Michelin judge based on a series of categories, all of which when added together determine the rating of the restaurant. Different restaurant can be stronger in different categories.

which means the ranking they gave gordon ramsay doesn't prove anything about the level of innovation in his restaurant.

the michelin system, at its origin, is about how far you can justify travelling/going out of your way to eat at a place. it's not about how innovative the place is. innovation is not a necessary condition
>>
>>7657329
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7657331
>primarily

No one said "primarily". It is one of the categories they judge on.

>which means the ranking they gave gordon ramsay doesn't prove anything about the level of innovation in his restaurant.

Holy fuck. I'd say you were autistic, but an autist would actually understand this shit because it's so simple and logical. I guess you're just too fucking stupid to understand such a simple concept.
>>
>>7657280
>>7657275
When I say big leagues, I'm talking about the toppest of the top tier chefs. Obviously he's better than 90% of the world.
>>
File: Woll_Smoth_original.jpg (38 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Woll_Smoth_original.jpg
38 KB, 300x400
>>7656334
He is a meme, you can't cook an omelette in 30 seconds the whole preparation and cooking process takes more than 1-2 min
>>
>>7657340
>When I say big leagues, I'm talking about the toppest of the top tier chefs.

You mean, say, Chefs who's restaurants have held three Michelin stars?
>>
>>7657222
Wait till pan gets hot 2 min, break the egg 10-20 seconds put in the black and white video pan voila magic 30 seconds
>>
>>7657344
Whose*
>>
>>7657334

when i gave the example of a completely traditional restaurant it showed that a restaurant could not innovate whatsoever and still be worthy of 3 stars. hence, gordon ramsay's restaurant could not be innovative at all and still get 3 stars.
>>
>>7655930
This, he can make good food but he definitely plays into the celebrity personality, just doing things for attention.
>>
>>7657363
It could also be the most innovative restaurant in the world and get three stars.

The thing is, not even Noma managed that.

However, what *is* likely to get you three stars is the combination of both innovation and very good food, which is a very hard combination to pull off.
>>
>>7657370

>It could also be the most innovative restaurant in the world and get three stars.

yes, but innovation is not a necessary condition. so when you say he's uninteresting/not innovative and someone retorts that he has michelin stars so he must be, it doesn't follow.
>>
>>7657377
When someone has *3* stars the chances are very high that at least one of those stars is on the basis of innovation, simply because it's almost impossible to get a high enough scoring to get that third star without it.

Noma couldn't get three stars on the basis of innovation alone. No restaurant gets three stars because there's no innovation at all.
>>
>>7657370
>>7657380

but then wouldn't you say its even more impressive to get 3 stars without innovating?

because it basically means that you are producing the same dishes as millions of other chefs around the world and yet out of all those chefs you have been chosen as the best
the level of mastery required to surpass that degree of competition and rise to the top must be uncanny right?

if you create unique dishes and get recognized that way sure you're still going to be considered a great chef but you've also created your own niche where no competition exists
>>
>>7657404
>then wouldn't you say its even more impressive to get 3 stars without innovating?

Um. No.
>>
>>7657380

>at least one of those stars is on the basis of innovation

no. the stars are for the exceptionality of the experience. significant innovation may contribute to that or it may not.

gordon ramsay has not really innovated in cooking since the 90s. he still puts out excellent food and food need not be innovative to be delicious, which is why he has 3 stars.
>>
>>7655929
he's got or had 3 michelin stars. of course he's a good chef. but more importantly he's a good restaurant manager
>>
>>7657380
>>7657404
>>7657408
>>7657409
You guys seem to be forgetting that one of the criteria that the michelin guide has is that restaurants are visited multiple times to test the quality or the food.

You cannot let the quality drop at any point.
>>
>>7657431

i don't see how either of us are forgetting that
>>
>>7657222
>eggs in a stainless steel pan

Literally how?
>>
>>7655935

This.

A lot of the time his recipes just seem pretty basic, but very good in terms of flavourful and presentation. There's a reason why none of his restaurants are ever commented upon as being must see or anything, they're just serve good food done well.
>>
>>7655929
ON THE HEAT

OFF THE HEAT

ON THE HEAT

OFF THE HEAT

ON THE...
>>
>>7657656

>he doesn't season his stainless steel pan

I always cook my eggs on stainless steel. After seasoning it becomes better than any nonstick gimmick pan.
>>
>>7657688
seasoning is a gimmick, you've lost the plot kid
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.