[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does a dish lose its name?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: banhmi_copy.jpg (41 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
banhmi_copy.jpg
41 KB, 480x320
Is it called banh mi if it's not on a baguette?

Is it called a reuben if it's not on rye?

How is stew different than soup or chowder?
>>
>>7655735
just be a snowflake and make up compound names
>Banh Guette
>Ryeben

HOWEVER stew is different than soup or chowder because it always contains meat and the ingredients are not mixed together (not fully mixed in soup or chowder, but it's much more homogenous)
Also I think chowder is exclusively seafood and soup tends to be primarily vegetables

Someone correct me if I'm talking nonsense
>>
If you eat stew with a fork, you will consume most of the volume. Not so with a soup.

I don't know about chowder. I've only seen it in movies.
>>
>>7655852
Corn chowder.
>>
>>7655864
I did not know that was a thing, but it sounds like a good idea

chowder seems like it's starchier than soup
>>
>>7655852
>ham an potato chowda..
>>
>>7655735
>How is stew different than soup or chowder?

Stews are created via stewing the ingredients, generally in some form of gravy or thick savory sauce.

Soup is based around minimal ingredients in a flavorful broth.

A chowder is thicker than a soup, with the focus on the variety of ingredients rather than on the broth.
>>
>>7655869
It's not. Corn and shrimp chowder sucks at the Marianos. OG clam chowder all the way
>>
the taxonomy of food naming is always going to be somewhat arbitrary/affected by the person or group doing the naming.

'stew' is both a culinary noun and verb. you generally 'stew' something by having it cook slowly with just enough liquid to cover it. a 'stew' is generally the resulting dish when you do this. a 'soup' is a meal that is primarily liquid. clearly your perception of the overlap between these categories is going to vary depending on your perception of how the dish is made, how prevalent stews are in your community vs. soups, what ingredients you commonly associate with the different terms, etc. in most cases people are probably going to say that a 'soup' is primarily liquid with small pieces of solids, whereas a stew is primarily large pieces of solids served within a liquid.

you can take any dish and substitute elements and call it by the same name. people will tolerate this more with some dishes than others, but in any case once you've made a significant change to the dish, the name is now just a signifier for the overall character or spirit of the dish and not a precise descriptor.
>>
>>7655869
Chicken corn chowder is pretty rad. Chowder tends more towards being cream based and thickened with a roux.
>>
>>7655735
A soup is a dish consisting of a broth base, often stock, and which is sometimes thickened, and sometimes with additional ingredients added or the base liquid being further processed or refined through reduction or further simmering with other ingredients.

Stew is a cooking method in which ingredients are simmered in just enough liquid to cover long enough to create their own relatively viscous gravy.

Chowder is a type of soup, typically based on seafood and typically thickened, either through stewing or the direct addition of a thickening agent. Usually I think of smaller bits in chowder, and a lot of them, though I've seen some without a lot of bits of stuff. I think corn chowder was originally made with a clam or fish stock, but now that isn't necessarily the case >>7656106 so I don't really know a good way to define chowder.
--just read wiki and some other stuff that confirmed what wiki said, but still no real clarity. I guess it could come down to if you're a Francophile or an Anglophile - chaudière being a cooking vessel, or jowder/chowter/chowder being a fish monger. My guess would be chaudière being the earlier term, possibly picked up on by the English with all of the French influence on their food, but that's a lot of speculation and probably a bunch of bias. Despite all that, corn chowder can be tasty.

TLDR:
I'd call all chowders and stews a soup, but I wouldn't call all chowders stews, even if they started out that way.
>>
>>7655735
Naming and describing food is a cultural thing.
In a globalised society cultural boundaries and definitions are blurred.
You can name anything anything until you put "authentic" anywhere in the description.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.