[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any garden/urban agriculturalists or beekeepers on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Are there any garden/urban agriculturalists or beekeepers on /ck/? If you have a nice garden, why not grow your own food?

Once I buy a house I think I'm going to start growing tomatoes, maybe I'll take courses in beekeeping too
>>
>>7655109
see
>>>/out/753269
>>
>>7655109

You don't need a house for tomatoes. Simply buy a determinate type (ones that have a fixed growth rate) instead of indeterminate (ones that grow uncontrollably). I'm in an apartment myself and turned my Roma tomatoes, which is a determinate type, into an upside down hanging plant which hangs off my balcony.

There's a lot you can do in a small place, you just need to go vertical instead of horizontal with your growing.
>>
I have a half finished hydrophonic hanging garden that will probably never be finished.
>>
>>7656344

Finish it damn it.
>>
I bought a bigger house with a small garden in the back (which i can make much much bigger one day)

At my old house I used to do potted gardens, but you are kind of limited in what you can grow in pots... and you have to water constantly because pots dry out and are ravaged by higher soil temps in the summer if you aren't careful.

I have 12 tomato plants, an eggplant, a jalepeno, 2 thai basil plants... all in the ground this time around. i have a soaker hose laid out and watering them is as easy as just turning on the faucet.

And I am starting about 30 basil seedlings right now under a grow light.

I'm gonna have some wicked awesome italian dishes around mid summer..

IMO, you aren't really into food and cooking unless you grow it yourself.
>>
>>7656351
But There is nowhere to buy any of the parts I need for it where I live and I don't even have a decent window to hang it in.
>>
>>7656417

Now you're just making excuses for yourself. There's starving black children in Nigerwondica who built a working super computer from dirt, stick and antelope droppings. If they can do that with the looming thread of super aids, you can build a iddy biddy garden.
>>
File: IMG_3071.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3071.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Shared a few days ago, my "beer" herb garden.
Chives are really starting to come in quick now, things grow like weeds.

Bottom 2 right: Chives
Bottom 2 left: Thyme
Middle 4: Basil
Top 2 right: Rosemary
Top 2 left: Oregano

You can't see it but I also have 2 rows of radish growing in an elongated planter and a brussel sprout in another large planter.
I also have the following planted waiting to germinate: tomato, red bell, jalapeno, habenero, cayenne, italian parsley, cilantro, wild chilies (that I got from a co-worker, super hot) and bibb lettuce.
>>
>>7656475

That's awesome anon. Chives really do grow like weeds.

Basil is fun to grow... make sure to pinch it off so that it gets bushy instead of just shooting straight up.. read up on proper pruning. the other thing i've learned about basil is that it recovers very well from wilting and being too dry.. so you can get away with not watering it for a while, just water it and it will come right back.
>>
>>7655109
Eversince George planted his vertical garden, his wife, Mary seems more contented and happy for some reason.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.