[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else hats working in a kitchen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: amy.png (71 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
amy.png
71 KB, 268x188
What do you hate most? How does your day usually go?
>>
I always had to wear a hat when I worked in kitchens. It was okay because I cut my own hair and don't always shower, so putting a hat on would hide my crazy looking hair.
>>
I always hat when I'm in the kitchen. I prefer sombreros or birthday cones
>>
ill start
>get to work
>set up work area
> ask head chef (owner) what needs to be done
>start doing what needs to be done
>One of the line cooks (other owner) starts telling me about what needs to be done.
>they argue amongst themselves about what needs to be done.
>now have 15 things to do at once
>start going things
>they get distracted and ask me to get stuff rom basement or other assorted bullshit things
>work gets halted
>we get slammed with customers
>they freak out
>now my job description completely changes
>we need this, and that and go here and do there
>they start to freak out more
>FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK WE CANT DO IT...
>I'm just sitting there pumping out work
> finally calms down
>I go nice its busy
> They go NO ITS NOT NICE WE CANT HANDLE IT BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
>2 hours till shift ends
>just pumping out work
>1 hour till work ends
>we need this 2 hour job done
>finish half and bounce leaving w.e is left for them
.What I hate most is that for the owners they have NO FUCKING CLUE what they are doing...im often asked how is inventory or things like can I run a delivery because someone across town wants food..or my alltime favorite is is them both giving me a days worth of work in the first 15 minutes and then while I'm doing it giving me more of their own work...I'm underpaid...and they are understaffed (and cant retain staff because they are super picky)
>>
>>7654088
my Birthday Was the thursday and I Wore a Birthday Hat!
>>
File: 1439567479312.png (386 KB, 519x533) Image search: [Google]
1439567479312.png
386 KB, 519x533
>>7654093
>>
>>7654091
Welcome to the world of small business. Don't know if it would work for you because it can shift depending on how many customers there are, but I just tell my boss "X will take this amount of time, Y will take this, etc. What do you actually want to get done by the end of today?"

Don't you just love being told the night when you're leaving what you're going to be doing the next day, then showing up and it's something completely different that has to be done right now?
>>
lmao opppps forgot the s in the title
>>
>>7654118
not really. It seems that they lack direction and cant direct me to do anything because between the two of them it changes every 2 hours. What I hate most is that they are SOOO understaffed that they are literally calling friends because they have nobody and cant find anyone they like enough(mostly becayse "oh they aren't kitchen material") and I'm sitting there thinking...shit neither are you
>>
>>7654119

It sounds more like you forgot to put on your thinking cap.
>>
>>7654125
Nah I have that one...I cant seem to find my proofreading hat though..its a shame I always like that I always hat loosing my hats
>>
>>7654131
tehehhe see what I did there.
>>
>>7654091
I quite like working in the restaurant I am employed by. Mostly because of the other workers, it's a good crew and we have fun.

However, the owner is a lot like your pair but in one person.
She regularly comes up with long lists of things that could be done but don't need to be done now and pulls one of the better line cooks off in the middle of a rush. She'll claim that she's going to work the line and then wander off to talk to customers for an hour while we only have two in the kitchen because the employee bathroom just had to be cleaned at 12:30 in the afternoon.
>>
>>7654147
Whats funny is that I recently put my notice in and I have come to the conclusion that my job description has now grown because they are tightwads and want to get every fucking penny out of me so now I'm processing the deliveries and taking inventory.lmao this place is funny
>>
>job I've had for several years
>start BOH, but job becomes a mix of BOH prep, running plates, covering tables and managing COGs/inventory
>eventually become FOH manager/maitre d'
>owner/head chef sells to new owners (married couple)
>fire 95% of the staff keeping me, the sous, head bartender and a couple of waitresses willing to come back in a few months
>remodels FOH, completely changes the vibe, yet fails to invest in replacing the hoods and our deep freezer (morons)
>going for a roaring 20's atmosphere with lots of emphasis on cocktail pairings
>my uniform goes from a black button up, slacks and a blue tie to:
>bow tie
>ivy cap
>suspenders
>I am a walking douche
>wife of owner supremely disappointed when she finds out I can't grow a mustache

I hate hats and my job.
>>
>>7654153

Taking deliveries and doing a certain amount of inventory are as basic and ubiquitous as cleaning your station at the end of the night.
>>
I love working in the kitchen that I am in currently, BUT it does get annoying when the Chef, restaurant manager, and sous chef all have different ways of how that want things done.
>>
>>7654091
>>7654124
>>7654153
Leave it behind, dude. Keep your head high enough above the water to get a good job rec. but be done with that shit.

I can't imagine having a boss, much less two, who would say being busy & having cash flow is a BAD thing. They sound more like hobbiests than actual business owners...
>>
>>7654170
Except its during the day because I work brunch and lunch..im also talking about the big deliveries from food vendors.
>>
>>7654192

That's usually when food deliveries come.

Are you talking about just checking the list and signing or actually having to put everything away in the walk-in and wherever? Because putting away a big order should be done by everyone who has a minute to spare.
>>
>>7654211
I'm talking about putting them away. they don't have a dishwasher or prep cook and they also don't have a night time prep or dishwasher so ALOT of the work that a dishwasher/porter should be doing its basically tacked onto my job..and as said earlier they are trying to get as much done by me as possible before I leave because they literally have one other guy who works like 3 days
>>
>>7654251
also food deliveries to customers which I gladly say no to because they want me to run around fucking town and do my job here for shit wage...no thanks..ill never get work done...they need more people
>>
>>7654269

Yeah, sounds like a place not worth sticking around in.
>>
>>7654275
you aint kidding
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.