[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I just a philistine? I sincerely don't get why this is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
Am I just a philistine? I sincerely don't get why this is basically put on nearly everything in haute cuisine. And I'm not just talking truffle oils or using it for aroma, I see people cutting up huge chunks of this stuff and throwing it into sauces or just chucking it on the plate. They taste like literally like dirt.
>>
Because they taste fucking delicious. If you don't like truffle you don't have a refined enough palette for good food, enjoy your tendies though. Truffle oil is garbage and anyone who says it's nice is retarded.
>>
>>7653281
It's the new parsley. Remember when every place would throw a parsley sprig on the plate?
>>
>>7653302
nah hes right, your refined palette shit is the same emperor has no clothes bullshit that drives these food trends and others like gluten
>>
>>7653302
Some people don't like musky tasting stuff. I love mushrooms and such but I get why people dislike stuff that tastes like dirt.
>>
>>7653305
Yeah, I remember it being a big deal in the 1860s.
>>
>>7653302
>truffle oil is garbage
OP was talking about the portion sizes you retard
>>
>>7653318
It was around in shitty US diners well through the 80's and 90's.
>>
Note how everyone who has ever tried to describe truffles just calls the flavor "earthy" aka like dirt.
>>
Why is cooking the only profession where non-professionals think they know better than professionals just because they make Mac and cheese every Tuesday at home?
>>
>>7653343
>the only profession
not true at all

and if someone doesn't like something, the chef isn't right for insinuating that they actually do
>>
>>7653343
Wtf are you talking about I get retards that worked at the IT helpdesk for a summer that talk shit to people with 30 years of industry experience. People are just dumb, it's not limited to a single field.
>>
>I sincerely don't get why this is basically put on nearly everything in haute cuisine.

it isn't

>I see people cutting up huge chunks of this stuff and throwing it into sauces or just chucking it on the plate.

no you don't

>They taste like literally like dirt.

no, they don't. they taste like very concentrated mushroom.
>>
>>7653365
Mushrooms taste like earthy, kinda like dirt.
>>
>>7653372

they don't taste like dirt. have you eaten dirt? just because they grow on and sometimes have dirt on them, doesn't mean they taste like dirt. eat some dirt and then you will see that mushrooms do not in fact taste like dirt.
>>
>>7653373
Yeah, anyone who has worked earth has tasted it by mistake. Kinda tastes like mushrooms.
>>
People with pig genes enjoy truffles.
>>
>>7653372
no they don't, stop being stubborn, you sound retarded
>>
>>7653373
>dirt's distinctive taste is due to fungi in the soil
>"fungi don't taste like dirt!"
>>
>>7653429

dirt's taste is due to a ridiculously huge diversity of stuff. the 'earthy' taste people identify is probably due to geosmin, which is present in mushrooms, but nowhere near as much in your standard shroom as, say, in the skin of a beet
>>
>>7653324
I guess saffron tastes like dirt too you fucking pleb
>>
>>7653302
>refined
>says palette instead of palate
>>
if u dont like truffels then ur a philistine, i suck down tuffels and saffron's and quail's eggy's and fillay min yawns and shampaine all out of cut glass and tage my luxury doo doo's in a solid gold turlet with a big old tv in front of it ok that's my opiion on this site ok :D
>>
Because using overpriced shrooms makes you a better cook
>>
>>7653603
You're such a pleb. I'm so highfalluting that I fertilize a bathtub of beluga caviar before eating it.
>>
File: 1446502093279.gif (1 MB, 170x180) Image search: [Google]
1446502093279.gif
1 MB, 170x180
Probably because they're not real truffles, they're some identical species from China that have none of the taste and all of the dirt

Worst of all, you have people importing them to Europe and trying to pass them off as good quality European truffles

https://youtu.be/3RpfBA8iHes
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.