[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just tried to cook this recipe for the fifrth time in a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: recipe cod curry.jpg (109 KB, 674x1200) Image search: [Google]
recipe cod curry.jpg
109 KB, 674x1200
So I just tried to cook this recipe for the fifrth time in a year. And again I've completely butchered it
>>
File: recipe cod curry pic.jpg (98 KB, 674x1200) Image search: [Google]
recipe cod curry pic.jpg
98 KB, 674x1200
For reference, this is what it's supposed to look like
>>
File: cod curry 1.jpg (121 KB, 674x1200) Image search: [Google]
cod curry 1.jpg
121 KB, 674x1200
And this is the actual thing
>>
File: cod curry 2.jpg (156 KB, 674x1200) Image search: [Google]
cod curry 2.jpg
156 KB, 674x1200
Same result every time, as it cooks, the curry powder on the cod burns to a black crips, if it doesn't peter off into the oil/butter mixture in the pan.

Even as the fish itself falls apart and shrivels up, the cod is ALWAYS undercooked. Roughly the same texture it had going into the pan after 15 minutes of frying

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Cod fillets don't come cheap.
>>
>>7647854
Lmao
OP you dun goofed
Maybe try being more delicate with the fish - use a spatula or a knife instead. Also you are using too much oil and probably too high heat.

Tbhfam I dont think it would even be that good if you made it right. Curry is better with chicken or lamb imo, but that doesn't mean this recipe isn't worth a shot. Next time make a thread while your cooking it
>>
>>7647854
I use to have a lot of problems with fish falling apart when pan frying too. You need to get thicker filets and fresh never frozen helps.
>>
>>7647854
Get a fish slice (a wide and flat spatular)
Use a dessert or tablespoon to spoon the oil

Your pan is probably the wrong temperature.
>>
>>7647854
use a lower heat and buy a pair of fish spatulas to turn it GENTLY. one underneath it and one on top to guide it.

cook it nearly entirely skin side down and flip it flesh side down for just a minute to finish. if you're using a rectangular looking filet like the pic in the cookbook as opposed to a flatter one, do all 3 long flesh sides 30-45 seconds max.
>>
>>7647885
This and >>7647866

Frozen seafood will fall apart like mad. Fresh makes a world of difference. Your pan seems too hot and cook it almost entirely skin side down before flipping it.

Also
>15 minutes on high heat
>fish
Do you know when fish is finished cooking? Are you aware frozen/overcooked cod gets a really spongy texture?
>>
File: ck_mascot.png (402 KB, 546x291) Image search: [Google]
ck_mascot.png
402 KB, 546x291
>>7647851
jsyk it'll never look like it does in the picture. this is a relatively benign looking specimen, but almost all food imagery has some sort of trickery behind it.
>>
So how low a heat should I cook?

The stove is electric, goes from 0 to 6, and I cooked on a 4 throughout.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.