[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I put cans of beer in the refrigerator and then take it back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: FourPeaksPeachAleCans.jpg (45 KB, 400x265) Image search: [Google]
FourPeaksPeachAleCans.jpg
45 KB, 400x265
If I put cans of beer in the refrigerator and then take it back out to let it get to room temp, does that reduce the quality or affect the taste?
>>
>>7645835
Not really, it's in a sealed container.

If you took it out and left it at room temperature for a few weeks it would probably start to taste kind of skunky but it would still be drinkable.
>>
>>7645856
I'd be putting it back in the refrigerator to chill again before drinking it, but I was considering putting it back in a the pantry where it might be sitting in there for a month or more.

Would that be ok?
>>
Cook's says warm to cold an vice versa isn't a problem, but light is a problem. So, cans should be fine. Bottles would not be.
>>
File: youll never guess.jpg (181 KB, 625x506) Image search: [Google]
youll never guess.jpg
181 KB, 625x506
Cold masks the taste of beer. It should taste differently when it is warm.

This has been a well known fact since the 1950s.
>>
>>7645864
Yeah, it should be fine.
>>
>>7645835
its a myth that temp changes makes it go skunky. its really exposure to light that causes that
>>
>>7645835
Makes no difference OP. Beer goes through so many temperature changes before it even gets to you that it makes this entire myth a source of laughter, yet I live in a area where people will literally abandon a 24 pack of beer after a few cans because "it got warm and now its no good"
>>
>>7646038
This, anyone who says otherwise is a twink faggot
>>
>>7645835
Hey, that's pretty good. Are you in AZ?
>>
>>7645835
light plays an important factor but temperature plays a factor as well

flavor, clarity, whatever are all the products of our senses and protein from the beer. Proteins are just really folded strands. So if you get a beer hot enough that some of those proteins unfold, then get it back to room or fridge temp, some of the unfolded proteins might not fold back

that means the unfolded proteins or rather lack of folded proteins will decrease the quality of a beer.

SO, in summation, light plays a role as does temp. Getting the beer hot and then back to room temp is worse for the beer than getting it cold then back to room temp
>>
>>7645835
Flavor will maintain longer if you keep them cold. Switching temperatures isn't a problem except that while it's warm the flavor is changing faster. Most beers will not improve with age so keeping them cold keeps them tasting better for longer.
>>
>>7648109
Adding a touch of science doesn't make your incorrect assumption true.

Skunkiness on a beer is only caused by light. Oils from the hops are broken down by UV light which causes them to vibrate and split into separate chemicals. As oil contains no protein, this has nothing to do with protein.

Proof? Take a beer that hasn't got hops added to it (99% of beers do, but you're looking for something like a heather ale, made with gruit).

Put this in sunlight, and it will never go skunky. Put a heavily hopped beer in sunlight and it will go skunky.

Fun fact, brown glass protects beer from about 80% of the sunlight. Green glass 20% and clear glass 0%.

Oxidization is what happens when the beer is affected by warmth and time. It will smell like stale, wet cardboard.

Source? I'm a beer expert.
>>
>>7648204
I study biochem and food science bruh.

Most flavor in everything is the result of proteins.

You are talking about skunkiness of a beer as a result of oxidized oil. Yah okay great thats true.

Im talking about a loss of flavor and clarity due to the denatured proteins.
Also thats not what oxidation does to oils. Its not breaking down the oil at all just changing the head group and some of the tails depending on the type of oil
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.