[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Banh mi?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: banhmi_copy.jpg (41 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
banhmi_copy.jpg
41 KB, 480x320
Hey there,

Supposed to be slicing radishes right now, but need a quick guide to banh mi.
I'm using ground pork and feel good about additions and spices.
I'm gonna grill them, I think.
I'm using potato hamburger buns.
I've got carrots, breakfast (red/French) radishes and cukes. I need to marinate them. I'm gonna start slicing right now.
What I'm hoping for is what to dress them in. I've seen water and cider vinegar, white vinegar, and rice vinegar. I've seen 2 Tb of sugar and 1/2 cup.

It probably doesn't matter too much, but I'm curious if you have a pickled veg marinade that you swear by.
>>
>implying id give away my familys treasured pickled vegetable maranade for nothing

Shoe on head first pls.
>>
>>7644873
kek
>>
File: 1448524757799.jpg (101 KB, 448x331) Image search: [Google]
1448524757799.jpg
101 KB, 448x331
>>7644841
Potato hamburger buns?
Nigga it's not a banh mi if you don't have that crusty flaky baguette.
Vinegar, sugar, garlic and salt. Fish sauce for excitement.
>>
>>7644917
I don;t like them on baguettes. I don;t really like any sandwich on baguette- it's too tall and crusty.

I realize what looks like a faux pas, and maybe i'm not allowed to call it banh mi anymore, but I like potato buns WAY more.

What kind of vinegar? I like rice in most everything.
>>
>>7644841
>potato hamburger buns
>>
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp rice vineger
3 tbsp caster sugar
Will pickle 1 large finely cut carrot in 20min. You do the maths for what ur working with
>>
>>7644923

I'm guessing you've never had a Vietnamese style baguette. It's smaller, and light and airy with a thin flaky crust. Also, fuck you, baguette sandwiches are the best, stop buying your bread at Walmart.

It's not a banh mi if it's not on a baguette.
>>
>>7647104
I think this might be a good time for you to learn that:

1. Banh Mi is kind of like cupcakes, flyovers decided they're "cultured" and went crazy on them in the last 10 years or so, they're especially popular with the Chinese and Korean small business owners who were making flyover sushi in the late 90s and early 2000s, capitalizing on the fact that the locals have no idea what those foods taste like, or how to tell different kinds of asians apart
2. Most people on 4chan don't know what a banh mi actually is other than "a cool new sandwich that came out last tuesday"
3. You are now going to get berated by people saying "oh yeah but they're real squinty eye asians at my sandwich shop so you have no idea what you're talking about also fuck you it tastes good to me and authenticity is a scam"

In the future, learn to hide these threads, as I'm about to do now
>>
>>7647113
>Most people on 4chan
I dont think 4chan cares about a gook sandwich besides us on /ck/
4chan isnt the place where these trends of liking """"authentic"""""" food comes from, its the tumblr hipsters
>>
>>7647113
>tfw don't live in Denver anymore and can't get any more great $3.00 Banh Mi from little Vietnamese bakeries
>>
>>7647079
Thanks. I went with a ratio of 3 parts rice vinegar to 1 part maple syrup, with about 1 1/2 part salt. Worked out pretty well.

>>7647104
I haven't had a Vietnamese style baguette, but it sounds much better than a French baguette for this sandwich.

No walmart shopping here, but I'd bet that their baguette (if like my local supermarket) would be better for their sandwich than what I consider a good baguette. I love a good baguette, but I like them pretty crunchy. Great toast. I hate them for sandwiches. I also hate bagels for sandwiches. It's too much. I like softer, and less tall options.

If it's not on a baguette, and it's not banh mi, then I had a good pork sandwich last night.

>>7647113
I'm with you. I was thinking about the tough guy posters on here yesterday, and realized that there are some items that everyone will complain about if it's different than what they know. Pizza isn;t pizza unless it's NY style, cornbread isn't cornbread if it has sugar in it, chili isn't chili if it has beans, etc.

My sandwiches were super good. I've made them a handful of times, and this was the first time I tired them with pate. I'm not sure I'll do it again (because of the extra expense), but I thought it was pretty good.
>>
>>7647272

>Pizza isn;t pizza unless it's NY style, cornbread isn't cornbread if it has sugar in it, chili isn't chili if it has beans

None of those are true, but a banh mi not made on a baguette isn't a banh mi. You can have different versions of a dish, but sometimes there's a particular ingredient that can't be left out without changing it into something different.
>>
fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, salt, garlic
ginger and/or carrot if you're feeling frisky
that should be the flavor for your meat
>>
>>7647282
Well, then we disagree.
I think you could make a number of dishes that I (or others) would say is not what you think it is, because of the addition or subtraction of an ingredient. If I make my banh mi with a Vietnamese baguette, and you make it with a hoagie roll, I'd say it's still banh mi (assuming it's still pork (does chicken count as banh mi?), pickled veg, etc).

I think your thinking is too narrow. Would you call it banh mi if there's no pickled radish? Does adding pate make it banh mi, or can you go without it?

>>7647287
I forgot to say I added lime juice. I didn't do garlic, though. Or fish sauce. I figured the pork had enough going on.
>>
>>7647303

>i think your thinking is too narrow

Says the person who thinks a banh mi needs to be pork.

Certain sandwiches require a certain kind of bread. You can put the most traditional taco ingredients on rye bread and call it a taco sandwich, but it will never be a taco.
>>
>>7647303
you realize fish sauce is like, the most important ingredient in all Vietnamese cooking right?
>>
>>7647316
I don't actually think it needs to be pork. I was wondering if that was one of YOUR rules. I prefer pork, and I prefer ground pork, but I'd be open to other stuff and still call it banh mi. Tofu, even.

This is silly really, cuz I don;t think Im going to change my thinking, and it doesn't seem like you are going to change yours.

I think many sandwiches are best with certain bread. I like my reuben on seeded white rye. But I'm pretty sure you and everyone else would call it a reuben if it were on white, or unseeded rye, or pumpernickel. Probably even wheat. I wouldn't call it a reuben if you put it in a taco shell.

I can't think of a sandwich that requires a certain bread, unless it's a bread that is shaped differently, like a pita, or a tortilla (or a taco, if you can call those breads).

>>7647321
I didn't really.

I used all the fish sauce in the pork and the peanut noodles. I would have added some to the pickled veg if I had some, but I was out.
>>
>>7647363
baguette,
pate & fish sauce on the bottom
pickled carrot & daikon, cilantro on top

char sui,
cha lua,
gio thu,
etc in the middle
>>
>>7647363
nah. you got it right. the fish sauce goes in the pork. good job. Use Sambal Oliek for pickling spice then just sugar salt and vinegar
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.