[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any of you good anons have tried baking macarons? I tried doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: 4you.jpg (244 KB, 1723x908) Image search: [Google]
4you.jpg
244 KB, 1723x908
Any of you good anons have tried baking macarons? I tried doing those by the recipe found on youtube and this is how they turned out...
>>
File: IMG_2854.jpg (185 KB, 1280x956) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2854.jpg
185 KB, 1280x956
>>7637786
I tried making them for the first time last week, here's the result. Did you weigh yours by volume?
>>
>>7637786
did you let the batter rest until tacky?
>>
>>7638038
errr no? i presume i was supposed to, now that you mention it
>>
>>7637786
I'd still eat those fuck it
>>
>>7638016
wow very nice for a first try. I heard its tricky to get the perfect fluffiness of the batter.
>>
>>7638456
https://youtu.be/dddAa2AEy_M?t=61
>>
/ck/ seems so mentally challenged when they try to bake. macarons are not supposed to be complicated, just don't measure your ingredients by volume or the batter won't be thick enough. you don't even have to let them dry like a lot of american recipes say to if you measure correctly. also tapping your baking sheets on the counter before putting them in the oven prevents cracking. and you have to be gentle and count the folds so you don't overmix so you can get the feet.

here's the recipe I use:
4 egg whites
70 castor sugar (regular granulated sugar won't hurt you if you use it, so you don't have to go out and buy it, but it is preferred)
230g powdered sugar
120g almond meal
pinch of salt

whip the egg whites to soft peaks, add castor sugar, continue whipping until they are dry and you can turn the bowl upside down. then, sift the almond meal and powdered sugar together into the egg white mixture, and fold with a rubber spatula 30-50 times until it is incorporated. pipe into one inch circles, and bake at 150 degrees C (305 F for burgers) for 20 minutes, on the middle rack, one sheet at a time. This is the best recipe I've tried for macarons and I've used many that were by weight, volume, baked at higher temperatures and this one is always consistent.
>>
fuckin things look like nasty vaginas anyway. all hype but it doesnt actually deliver.
>>
>>7638879
macarons are one of those things grossly affected by humidity. dont' be a cock
>>
>>7638879

>just don't measure your ingredients by volume

yes that is clearly the only factor in producing successful macarons. as long as i'm putting five TONS of egg whites into thirty five grams of tpt it will be fine. only when i measure it by swimming pools does it become a problem
>>
>>7637786
i laughed way too hard on this

good to know others here are fucking up just like normal people.
>>
>>7638879
>it's important to do it precisely by weight
>4 egg whites
>not even any mention of size
You might as well do it by volume.
>>
File: Black-Tap-milkshakes-4.jpg (67 KB, 760x950) Image search: [Google]
Black-Tap-milkshakes-4.jpg
67 KB, 760x950
>>7637786
Get a kitchen scale
Get a food processor
Get two baking sheets and stack one on top of the other for even baking (silver ones, black absorbs too much heat)

Or forget all that because macarons are old meme, make freakshakes instead
>>
>>7639057
>milkshake covered in cookies and cookie dough
Why
>>
>>7639028
i'm sorry 4 standard size chicken eggs unless you somehow only have access to quail eggs or ostrich eggs. chicken eggs are fairly consistent so they don't need to be measured like the other ingredients
>>
>>7639666

take a look at this faggot he doesn't weigh his eggs

/ck/ can't cook for shit
>>
>>7639057
>memeshakes
no pls no
>>
File: 9001[1].jpg (57 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
9001[1].jpg
57 KB, 800x600
Guys what kind of almond flour are you using?
Does it have to be just ground almonds?
Or is it somekind of specialy made almond flour?
I could only found ground almonds in my shop and they didnt seem to be as fine as flour is, will that be sufficient?
>>
>>7640457
nope, you need almond flour. Of if you have a high powered blender you can make your own
>>
>allergic to almonds
>cant have macarons
i hate it
>>
>>7639057
how does one even eat/drink this
>>
File: img_3494[1].jpg (830 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
img_3494[1].jpg
830 KB, 2048x2048
>>7640481
ohhhhh youre missing out on a lot m8. The macaron ice cream is THE SHIT
>>
>>7640481

ann reardon has your back

https://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/macaron-substitute-almond-flour/
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 640x628) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 640x628
Made these a while back. Don't look pretty but tasted amazing.
>>
>>7637786

Nailed it.
>>
>>7637786
hehe op thats a commendable effort.
>>
>>7640735

they've got really good feet anon, and i personally like it when they have a textured surface
>>
>>7639666
there are like 6 "standard" chicken egg sizes i can think of
>>
>>7638910
Like all things, if you follow the right steps at the right times and don't try and rush to the end you tend to find your enjoyment will increase
>>
Ugh these are always terrible everyone makes them way too sweet
>>
File: 004b1a6bcc[1].jpg (215 KB, 1002x714) Image search: [Google]
004b1a6bcc[1].jpg
215 KB, 1002x714
>>7637786
yeah some one wanted " strawberry mille feuille" macarons for his girlfriend or mom or something so I tried making some by making strawberry buttercream and leaving the macarons pale and then icing the top like the mille fuilles
I thought they were okay,
from the looks of it you over folded it or didnt let the eggs become properly stiff
>>
>>7640480
Not true, most recipe call for ground almonds
>>7640481
Try an alternative nut meal if its just almonds you can't eat
>>7638879
If you're whipping till dry you're over doing it, you just want stiff peaks

Always make sure to use the right type baking paper or a silpat, some types you honestly can't get the shells off of
Also if your recipe doesn't call to add some of the meringue and beat to loosen the mixture,or doesn't tell you to rest for a tacky surface use a different one

Also anons do you prefer French or Italian method? I can make more consistent with French but my good Italian ones are so much better , but can fail so hard
>>
>>7640457
most fine almond flours come from the byproduct of making almond milk, the nut meal is dried and then processed and because most of the fats are released during the initial milk making you can get it much more fine than by grinding the whole almonds. or just get some liquid nitrogen and super freeze some almonds to keep it from turning into butter.
>>
I'm trying them for the first time, goal is to complete at least one set by Mother's Day.

I've never baked before but achieved meringue today. Sweet stuff, can't wait to make another batch tomorrow and then try actually making batter.

Since I'm not using the meringue I made today for my macarons, what should I use it on?
>>
>>7643199
meringue cookies, fold in dutch processed cocoa powder with some vanilla extract and pipe quarter sized blobs onto a parchment covered baking sheet, bake at 250F for 1 hour then turn oven off and let sit for 2 hours longer
>>
>>7638879
What do you use to flavor the macarons? For example pistachio macrons, do you add pistachio flour?
>>
File: 0005210030607_A.jpg (119 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
0005210030607_A.jpg
119 KB, 1500x1500
btw, do you know if this stuff has alcohol in it? There is no mention of it in the label.
>>
>>7644462
most extracts and imitation flavorings are alcohol soluable unless you pay more for emulsions or gels and oils.
>>
>>7643199

marjolaine
>>
>>7640728
How do these taste compared to normal macaroons?
>>
>>7643566
looks like people use extracts, though the flavoring is above all meant for the filling.

Look up how other pastries are flavored (ie. how does a bergamot cookie get its flavor) and try to adapt it to the batter recipe for your macarons.

incidentally I'm >>7643199 and I finished my first batch tonight. they're not pretty but I'm super happy to have gotten good feet on my first try. Debating now on whether I should stay up all night baking to have two more sets ready for Mother's Day tomorrow.
>>
>>7639666
Because this guy forgot his weights.

Standard egg is 56-70g, yolks are generally 36g(restaurants use Large Grade A eggs). Whites average around 30. I understand this doesnt fall in the minimum range.

These guys have shamelessly pilfered from the Bouchon bakery cookbook. It's solid. Follow the recipe on the link if you don't want to shell out for a 100$ cookbook(you should though, tons of great recipes, nearly idiot proof).

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2014/06/03/recipes-worth-trying-thomas-kellers-vanilla-bean-macarons/

Vanilla Macarons
From Bouchon Bakery by Thomas Keller & Sebastien Rouxel

1¾ cups + 2½ tablespoons (212 grams) almond flour/meal
1¾ cups + 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons (212 grams) powdered sugar
¼ cup +1½ tablespoons (82 grams) egg whites
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (90 grams) egg whites
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cup + 3 tablespoons (236 grams) granulated sugar, plus a pinch for the egg whites
⅔ cup (158 grams) water

>>7643566
Really depends on how high-level you want to be.
Pistachio - use pistachio paste(expensive) 50/50 with almond flour, nut pastes are ideal for flavorings
Tea Flavor - Use the water and make extra strong tea
Rose/Citrus/Mint - Rose water, you can get citrus water(or liquer), or make a simple syrup out of them

These cover the most common seasonings. If you want to get crazy, easy way is flavorings and extracts
>>
File: 1459137718475.jpg (72 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
1459137718475.jpg
72 KB, 400x533
I read that people leave their assembled macarons to sit overnight (or some say 24 hours or more) so that cookie and filling 'merge'. Is this better done in the fridge, outside of the fridge, in an airtight container, in open air, etc. ?
>>
>>7648588
Keep stored in the fridge, bring back to room temp before serving
>>
>>7650591
that's what I ended up doing, they turned out well. Didn't have any left by the time I left today.

Now the question is what to do with my leftover lemon buttercream and lemon curd.
>>
>>7651920
take pastry bag and apply to face hole, commence tasty suckin'
>>
>>7651941
No way, I don't like lemon that much (the people I made it for do which is why I made them).

I'm hoping to find a recipe I can make and then pass on to other people rather than watch all my hard work go in the trash.
>>
>>7640873
They look fucking incredible.
>>
>>7643566
well yeah you could, but you can also add a few drops of flavor oil or no more than 1/4 teaspoon of extract. I prefer oils because liquids can fuck up your macarons, which is why you cant use more than 1/4 tsp.
>>
>>7651947
could just freeze it.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.