[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/, you know how things are boiled in water? Well what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Hey /ck/, you know how things are boiled in water? Well what would happen if I were to take a lot of fat, deep enough to boil something in, and boil food in that?
>>
>>7635050
its called lard, senpai.
to answer your question it would make whatever you put in delicious.
>>
>>7635050
>Well what would happen if I were to take a lot of fat, deep enough to boil something in, and boil food in that?

You'd be deep frying.
>>
>>7635050
That is called confit.
>>
You cant boil oil, sorry OP
>>
>>7635050
It would explode you idiot. You cant heat that much oil. You just cant.
>>
>>7635097
Put this moron in the boiling oil.

>>7635050
That's called deep frying. Shallow frying is when you don't use enough oil to cover the food.

Note that oil tends to have a higher boiling point than water. Its smokepoint is lower in almost every case, so it will turn nasty before it reaches boiling.

But this fact is what makes frying amazing- you can use much higher temperatures than 212 degrees F.
>>
>>7635050
Is this a meme I wasn't aware of?
>>
>>7635103
>Note that oil tends to have a higher boiling point than water

Oil doesn't have a boiling point. It spontaneously ignites before it boils.
>>
>>7635114
The impurities in oil ignite, but this doesn't mean it cannot boil. All substances are capable of transitioning from solid, to liquid, to gas, including oil.

Water boils at 212F.

Soybean oil, which is common in vegetable oil, will start to change chemical composition and exude vapor via smoking around 495F.

Pretty hot.

At this point, impurities will cause fires and any moisture present in the pan will cause chemical reactions. Food itself will often catch fire and the surface of the oil, which makes contact with the air, may also catch fire.

Continue heating the oil for about 80 more degrees F while it burns, and it will begin to boil.

It happens around 572 degrees F for soybean oil.

Boiling oil was used as an ancient medieval weapon, because it was a liquid that could become so extremely hot and would set nearly anything on fire, it was very dangerous and used to resist sieges much like napalm would be.
>>
>>7635121
>All substances are capable of transitioning from solid, to liquid, to gas,

what about wood? checkm8 senpai
>>
>>7635145
To boil wood, you have to first -liquefy it.-

This is especially tricky since wood traps air in its cellular structure, and that will cause an ignition, a form of sublimation. It will be necessary to grind wood, down into a very fine powder, and then put it under immense pressure with no air, over a very long period of time... to finally force it to change into a liquid.

This liquid is often called oil.
Checkm8 m8
>>
>>7635160
oh, and certain other fossil fuels that are not technically oil are also produced...

the mixture of substances is often called TAR.

And tar is able to boil
>>
>>7635050
>>7635093
This, everyone else knows fuck all in this thread.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.