[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: ask a baker anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: glad_bagare.jpg (30 KB, 288x216) Image search: [Google]
glad_bagare.jpg
30 KB, 288x216
Lets have fun :)
>>
Why is American bread so sweet compared to the rest of the world?

Whats your favourite type of bread and what would you reccomend I try ?
>>
What's the best, easiest recipe for sourdough?

I've never baked before and I want to give it a go.
>>
>>7634786
Been trying to make really dark Honey Wheat bread for a while. (I was told that's what the bread at the Outback Steakhouse was).

How do they get it so dark? I must know.
>>
my dream is to crawl into a stove oven, curl up and be consumed by the flames. Is this possible
>>
Why aren't Americans into individually-baked bread buns (aside from hamburgers)? All I see them eat is either sliced bread loaves or "hand-break" type bread like baguettes or sourdough
>>
>>7634861

We are into those. You'll find many varieties of them in any supermarket, they're served at a huge number of American restaurants, and many families make them at home.
>>
>>7634804
i don´t really think american bread is necessarily sweeter then breads from different countries for example Sweden has a bunch of sweet bread for example cinnemonrolls.
>>
>>7634884
Yeah, but cinnamon rolls are supposed to be sweet. It's a dessert or sweet snack.

In America even the basic "sandwich bread" is very sweet.
>>
>>7634808
Find a good ciabatta or levain recipe those are good for beginners
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 400x400
Can you lend me about three fifty?
>>
>>7634845
honey/suger/syrup is what makes bread dark so ad some extra honey or syrup to make it darker
>>
are you sad that you never made it as a chef so had to resort to a science based cooking technique? it's hard to fuck up when smarter people than you did all the math right?
>>
>>7634854
i hear /pol/ can help you with that
>>
>>7634886
Well if you compare sandwich bread with say french baguette or Italian ciabatta the yeah there is a differences in sweetness i have no idea why thou, but suger does make things taste better maybe thats the reason
>>
Is yeast or kneading more important for bread?
>>
>>7634925
Unless you want a completely flat bread then yeast is more important but they are both fairly essential.
>>
>>7634786
Is it true that certain climates are not condusive/hostile to sourdough starters? I've tried many times to produce my own from wild yeast to no avail. My friend thnks it has something to do with the amount of pollen in the air where we live (central tx), but I don't know. I'm also not a particularly accomplished baker, so there's that.
>>
>>7634951
What makes you think your environment is not too sterile?
>>
>>7634951
>Is it true that certain climates are not condusive/hostile to sourdough starters?

Yes, that's true. But it doesn't matter very much. You ought to be able to make a sourdough starter anywhere, easily. (Well, except maybe Antarctica...)

>pollen
has nothing whatsoever to do with a sourdough starter.

Describe how you're trying to make your starter and we can help you better.
>>
>>7634786
What happened to your last thread? Did it died because nobody cared?

Otherwise, give me hot cross buns or give me death.
>>
>>7635022
yeah nobody cared so it died
here
www.taste.com.au/recipes/7695/hot+cross+buns
>>
>>7634951
I live in central texas and have never had a problem creating a starter. Just feed it equal weights of flour and water at around the same time every day, give it a good stir and cover it with a piece of cheese cloth or some kind of screen that lets air through but keeps out any bugs or flies or anything that may try to get in.

Even better if you can find a reasonably cool place to park it outside so it's out of the sun and doesn't get too warm.

Feed it every day for a week or so and you should have a pretty solid starter going.

Also make sure to use bottled or filtered tap water. Sometimes chlorinated/treated water can inhibit yeast growth.
>>
Why can't I get a decent ciabatta going?

I can't ever get any fingermarks on the damn thing, it always just springs back. Where's my error?
>>
>>7635228
Literally this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI
>>
Do you agree that Hawaiian rolls are the best?
>>
>>7635237
Never tried it but it looks pretty good.
>>
>>7635236
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI
informative~
>>
>>7635228
recipe looks good but freaking hell, 21 hours for one loaf?

Cmon!
>>
>>7634786
How do you get a good oven lift? Much of the time my bread will come out of the oven the same size as it went in.

I generally make white loaves and "no-knead" bread.
>>
>>7635252
Bigger batch?
>>
>>7634786

Just how high is "too" high?
>>
>>7635253
White bread require proper gluten formation in order to rise so after you finish mixing the bread do a gluten test and after you`ve given the doug time to rest knead a proper loaf now give the loaf proper time to rise before putting it in the oven and you should be fine.
>>
>>7635273
If you let bread rise to high it`ll end up flat as a pancake and too high is when its bigger then double the size of the originally knead loaf
>>
>>7635287

...bread?
>>
what do you use to slce dough before you put it in the oven.

I tried a stanley knife but it sucks
>>
>>7635297
Try getting the knife scalding hot by running water over it. This will melt the dough slightly and make it easier to cut.
>>
>>7635297
Use a razor blade
>>
>>7634786
Does kneading in a mixer with a bread hook have essentially the same effect as hand kneading or is one superior?
>>
>>7634786
What's your favorite recipe for fluffy white bread?
>>
>>7635344
Mixer is better for proper gluten formation and its a lot faster and more efficient then using your hands.
>>
>>7635350
i don´t have any recipes in English sorry but i do like zopf.
>>
>>7634804
Never had Portuguese, Spanish, or Vienna bread I guess
>>
>>7635351
Mixer uses electricity, requires fewer calories, and is much more consistent and efficient.

Using your hands will add flavor and salt, gives a pro fine-tooth control over the results, and can push the rise in an interesting way.

There are proponents for both methods, but the mixer is generally considered superior ...
>>
>>7634786
What is your bakery like? Is it a good place to work?
>>
>>7635455
its your average Swedish home-bakery but its nice and i like it, good coworkers and its a place that gives room for experimentation if you have extra time.
>>
>>7635373
The traditional Portuguese bread i've had is pretty savoury, and rock hard.
>>
Why are hot dogs sold in packages of ten but hot dog buns in packages of eight?
>>
How much pussy you pullin?

When I was in culinary school there were all these hot girls going into pastry

If I didn't hate baking with a passion I would have changed majors desu familia
>>
>>7635575
Oh believe me there`s an abundances of pussy i guarantee it.
>>
>>7635571
Because fucking consumers over is what industries do best.
>>
>>7635613
>>7635571
>spend $10 to buy five packs of hotdogs
>spend $4 to buy four packs of hotdog buns
>forty hotdogs
>forty hotdog buns
>problem solved
>>
>>7635571
I rarely ever see hotdogs sold in packages of ten, anymore.
>>
File: the_nose_knows.gif (28 KB, 650x804) Image search: [Google]
the_nose_knows.gif
28 KB, 650x804
>>7636009
Hebrew national is 7 per pack.
>>
Do you make gluten free bread?
>>
What do you think of no knead bread? It's flavor is great, and there's barely and work involved.
>>
>>7636009
Oscar Meyer is. As is Ballpark. Dietz and Watson sells a 5lb case of forty, so I assume they may also offer 1lb packages of ten.

>>7636051
Because seven is some special magical number in Judeochristian mythology (and, by extension, also in the mythologies of Islam, Bahaiism and others).

And beef hot dogs are criminally awful. I'll never understand it: for a country of such proud Christians, you Amerifriends sure do follow and glorify a lot of Jew customs, like mutilating your infants and pretending to like beef sausages over glorious pork ones.
>>
>>7636095
your math is fucked. 40/5 = what?
>>
>>7635504
You probably had a broa then, if it was sweet then it was probably an Avintes broa.
>>
>>7636172
Yeah, kinda! Which is embarrassing as I minored in mathematics. Yikes.

To be fair, I wasn't even thinking of maths there, just that Oscar Meyer and Ballpark both package 1lb packs of ten IE 1,6oz each hot dog.
>>
>>7636067
only when im making say 100% rye bread.
Because then theres no wheat that can form gluten.
>>
>>7636075
I don´t mind no knead bread but i like to touch the bread i working on so i don´t do it very often.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.