[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /ck/? I recently moved off campus and don't live with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: soup.gif (124 KB, 389x600) Image search: [Google]
soup.gif
124 KB, 389x600
Sup /ck/? I recently moved off campus and don't live with my mom so I've got to start cooking for myself. I feel shitty eating so much canned soup and rice but I don't really know anything about cooking.

I also have almost no interest in food. Like, I don't get any pleasure from good food or anything, I just want to eat some cheap food that won't make me feel like shit. Tasting anything better than edible isn't super important to me. Other than fresh fruit, which I really love, I pretty much couldn't care less about taste.

Where does someone like me start with cooking for himself? Pic kinda related.
>>
>>7632964
Find your ass a website and start cooking.

Japanesecooking101 and Cooking with Dog is a good start for learning basic Japanese recipes, for instance.
>>
File: potatoes.jpg (7 KB, 281x179) Image search: [Google]
potatoes.jpg
7 KB, 281x179
microwaved potatoes. cheap, easy to make, nutritious, and delicious.
>>
>>7632999
solid i'd for sure be able to keep a few potatoes stocked for myself.

>>7632990
Japanesecooking101 seems really helpful, thanks a lot!
>>
>>7632964
grilled cheese sandwiches with the soup. Stew (keep in the fridge it'll last about a week. Kraft Mac n cheese with diced jalapeƱos and maybe some bacon bits. Veggies and hummus. Fried eggs and buttered toast. Oatmeal. Smores.
>>
>>7633031
I'm looking more for healthier foods that are on the less expensive side. Hummus is a great idea though; real cheap to make I hear and it's a good way to get full on veggies. And I generally have an omelette for breakfast but I think it would be a good idea to expand into oatmeal as well. And stew in the fridge is a great idea! Thanks.
>>
>>7633045
Hummus isn't veggies
>>
>I also have almost no interest in food. Like, I don't get any pleasure from good food or anything
>>
>>7633045
Fresh fruit in the oatmeal fa sho. I forgot to mention to excess fruits or cucumber infused on your water.
>>
Creamed tomatoes on fried potatoes. Cheap and easy, and can be turned into tomato soup by blending the creamed tomatoes. http://www.food.com/recipe/creamed-tomatoes-aka-tomato-gravy-321752 is basically what I do, sometimes I'll use sour cream instead of milk. This is also basically how you make a gravy, by starting off with a flour and butter and milk roux. Frying the potatoes is as easy as getting a russet or Yukon gold potato, slicing it into discs, and then frying in a pan with some olive oil and pepper.

Find yourself a copy of the Victory Garden Cookbook, by Marian Morash. It's my go to for cooking vegetables. It has lots of different ways of preparing each different type of vegetable. For example, celery dishes include celery antipasto, Waldorf salad, celery slaw, braised celery, stir fried celery, celery consomme(this one tastes like a spring thaw), scallops with celery in a vinaigrette, celery stew, celery cod and cream, and celery and rice with peas. Some are a little old fashioned, but I use the book to help me prepare whatever is on sale and in season while also being pretty healthy.
>>
>>7633057
I've thought about it long and hard but I'm really not looking to be that guy

>>7633051
You serve it on veggies. Like peppers, celery, carrots, etc.
>>
File: IMG_20160502_205403.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160502_205403.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
>>7633065
Forgot the cover
>>
File: 1459507927553.gif (2 MB, 300x228) Image search: [Google]
1459507927553.gif
2 MB, 300x228
>>7632964
have you just never eaten anything that you've found really delicious or what?
>>
>>7633071
Badass, I'm really going to pick this up. I appreciate the help.

Also -- and this is gonna sound pretty stupid but I don't really have anyone else to ask -- how do I go about making dishes into meals that don't make me hungry again a few hours later? Or is it better to eat more smaller meals than fewer larger ones?

Like I said, I'm really just trying to make a change in my life and not feel so shitty all the time.
>>
Things that are cheap and healthy: chicken breast, brown rice, frozen vegetables, beans, canned tuna, potatoes.
There are lots of easy recipes that include these things. You can even prepare a week's worth of meals ahead of time. Just make sure you eat a variety of vegetables and try to have a serving of protein in every meal.
>>
>>7633078
I have, but it's mostly just chilled fresh fruit. Like, I fucking love watermelon. I'll eat a whole one by myself in one sitting and not think twice. And I look forward to the winter for pomegranates every year. I used to have some friends who owned a bakery and could get me boxes of pomegranates in bulk on the cheap, and I alone would kill them before one went bad. And don't get me started on farmer's market peaches in the summer.

It's just that, outside of fruit, food is mostly a way of not dying for me. I was raised in a house where food wasn't a huge focus, but spending time together over it was. So I have warmer feelings about my mom's beef stew or my dad's potatoes than I do other dishes, but only because they take me back to being a kid. It's not like there's anything remarkable about the food itself. And the difference between a $15 burger from the foodie place that only makes burgers and a $2 Big Mac is, to me, just $13.

I really like drink though. Love coffee, all the different ways of prepping it, beer, cocktails, tea, sodas, etc. Just not so much food.
>>
>>7633096
Good call; prepping meals sounds like a really good idea. Especially for bringing into work or whatever so I don't cave and buy shitty fast food
>>
>>7633080
I do either 3 meals a day, with lunch being smaller, or 2 meals with veggie snacking throughout the day with a late dinner. I try to eat once every 5 hours, expecting to be hungry for breakfast. I'm trying to lose weight though. Now that the weather is warmer, try and get to a farmers market. My local one has both farmers and produce wholesalers who sell fucktons of produce for cheap.

>>7633096
I try to avoid cooking for the week, I really enjoy the process of cooking, and I also can't stand eating the same thing for more than two days in a row. I have also found that flavorful dishes lose a lot of that flavor by the 4th day, if not earlier.
>>
>>7633080
That seems to depend on the person. Some people don't feel full unless they have a good amount of fat in their meals. For some, it's protein that keeps them full. I've heard carbs are usually pretty filling, but I don't know which ones in particular. You could try drinking more water to stay full, too. Sometimes people feel hunger when they really just need a glass of water.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.