[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any diabeti/ck/s or anyone with medical conditions here? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: betus.jpg (27 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
betus.jpg
27 KB, 512x512
Any diabeti/ck/s or anyone with medical conditions here?

What do you generally eat? How are your bloodsugars? What do you avoid?
>>
t1 since birth, i try to live my life as normally as I can, but avoid obvious shit like non diet soft drinks and shit like that

my A1c isnt all that great but i am in the process of bringing it down, a more keto based diet is helping with spikes and shit
>>
My girlfriend is type 1 since she was about a year old.

She does drink sugar free beverages and diet soda. Not very good at checking glucose but when it's observed she's alright.

Carbs all over the place. We eat a lot of rice out of convenience. I'd write more but she's probably better at explaining this.
>>
File: fit-drink.jpg (449 KB, 936x1285) Image search: [Google]
fit-drink.jpg
449 KB, 936x1285
>>7631630
Same, t1 for 15 years now. I switched to keto-lite after joining the gym 4 months ago and the combination of less carbs and more exercise has turned me into a mentally alert person, it's really good getting rid of the lethargy I used to suffer from fucky bloodsugars.

I tend to avoid pretty much all processed foods now and I go low on carbs, otherwise I eat "normally". Lots of fenugreek and coconut oil due to their very mild benefit to bloodsugars.
>>
File: 1312594_set.jpg (22 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1312594_set.jpg
22 KB, 306x306
Also tried this shit a month ago after hearing it was good for bloodsugar and it fucking is. It seems to actively reduce mine rather than just slow the uptake, which is really weird since it's just fibre.

I don't get it but it's good shit and cheap. Also you poop like a King
>>
diabetes runs in my family, usually complications are what does us in

I didn't have it but I put on a little weight and started to show signs so I have to make sure I stay thin to hold it at bay
not sure if its inevitable or what
>>
>>7631615
Been t1 for about 6 years now. Git it at 16. Hardest part was changing my diet and sticking to it and realizing how vulnerable I became. Still dealing with it, really.
>>
>>7631896
Diet was never a problem for me, especially after I discovered fast acting insulin. What trouble do you have with diet? Eating too much sugar?

For me the hardest part has always been energy levels, which I've now mostly got under control. Working out and eating more vegetables = life changer.

I'm also getting one of these on Wednesday, can't wait to try this badass out and become semi-cyborg
>>
>>7631929
Yeah, man, it's controlling my sugar intake that's so hard. My sensibilities favor the unhealthy stuff. I do like healthy and diabetic friendly foods, it's just the availability and convenience that's the problem for me.

Energy levels are usually shit too. Never realized it could be my diabetes that's making me this way.
>>
>>7632363
Changing blood sugars are responsible for lethargy. This is why regular people tend to feel sleepy after food or after not enough food.

Keep your shit together and you feel great.

I was pretty much eating and drinking sugar all day before, and I had a shitty insulin. About a year ago I started really taking an interest in diabetus and trying new things. 5 months ago I joined the gym and changed my diet and my bloodsugars are now steady as fuck. As a result I never get that shitty mental cloudy feeling any more. I used to spend entire days just feeling soggy.

Biggest tips are just eat more vegetables (aiming to eat less X Y Z is usually a recipe for failure, but aiming to eat more veg naturally makes you eat less shit over time). Work out regularly and your diet will fix a lot of its own problems too.
>>
>>7631647
It causes your body to absorb various forms of sugar more slowly. The same principle you see from eating a whole fruit vs. drinking fruit juice.
>tl;dr es dank mang
>>
got warned I had an A1C that was .2 over the line into actual diabetes, it was a wake-up call

started cooking for real, cut out soda, cardio and weight training

now if I can just shake this crippling depression I'll be 10/10
>>
>>7633642
Yeah that was my theory too, but it actively lowered my blood sugar. I fasted for 16 hours and didn't eat anything before or after to test it and I was like 7mmol/l before. I took 2 teaspoons of this shit then 40 minutes later I was at 5.

So unless my insulin was doing something weird or my stomach was getting desperate I've no idea what's going on.

>>7633908
Depression is as much a result of environment (heavily including diet and exercise) as much as anything else. It's extremely difficult to be depressed when you have good sleep, get regular sunshine, socialize regularly, eat well and work out.

But everyone likes to pretend it's some magical mental thing where depressed people are just thinking the wrong way or some nonsense.
>>
>>7631615
Type 1 for 30 years. Switched to a keto diet last year. Blood sugar levels are great now, and I lost some weight. No complications yet. I avoid almost all carbs. 9 days out of 10 all I need is to shoot up is the one basal dose. It's fucking awesome. I feel like a normal person now.
>>
File: Eatwell-guide-2016-FINAL-MAR-16.jpg (146 KB, 526x372) Image search: [Google]
Eatwell-guide-2016-FINAL-MAR-16.jpg
146 KB, 526x372
>>7634156
Right? It blows me away that this is the standard information used in diet in relation to western medicine when we know for a fact it results in shitty health.

Never trust your government or medical service to tell you what to eat.
>>
Diagnosed a few hours ago with hyperuricemia with non-specific, low level musculoskeletal pain, as opposed to the classic presentation of OH GOD A SINGLE JOINT IS ON FIRE SUDDENLY. I guess that means I'm on gout's shitlist?

Reading up on diet plans lower in purines, but there seems to be some conflicting info out there, especially when it comes to plant purines.
>>
>>7631642
>I'd write more but she's probably better at explaining this

It's because you're making up your gf, you pathetic loser. Did you think we wouldn't find out? Think again, faggot.

Return to your mother's basement and dwell their for the rest of your pathetic life.
>>
>>7634661
Making up a girlfriend with diabetes would be retarded considering the real deal has its own bullshit.

>>7634156
I'll have to look into keto. Like I mentioned near the beginning of the thread we're usually eating a lot of rice, pasta, and vegetables but her issue is her humalog makes tends to make her hungry frequently so there's a lot of snacking (which leads to not checking her glucose readings) inbetween meals.

I thought about buying some diabetic cookbooks but I haven't bothered order in anything. Have any recommendations on sites you might frequent?
>>
>>7634659
It means they didn't know what was wrong with you or didn't want to tell you that you're probably just a fat lazy shit with a bad diet who doesn't exercise every day.

>>7634692
>Like I mentioned near the beginning of the thread we're usually eating a lot of rice, pasta, and vegetables but her issue is her humalog makes tends to make her hungry frequently so there's a lot of snacking (which leads to not checking her glucose readings) inbetween meals.
Can't speak for her but having been type 1 for 15 years I can safely say the rice, pasta and other carbs and/or bad glucose control are making her snack more, not the insulin.

I was on levemir for a while and thought I was taking too much and that was what was making me snack all the fucking time. It wasn't, it was my shit high carb diet. If she feels tired/lethargic throughout the day tell her to try out keto or any other low carb diet that works for her, she'll feel stable in energy levels throughout the day.

Also avoid diabetic cookbooks or foods or anything marketed towards diabetes. The only thing you need to know about diabetes and diet is that more carbs = more difficulty in controlling your sugars successfully.

I literally launched a diabetes blog earlier today, but I'm too scared of 4chans autism to post it here. Scottsdiabetes.com is really good though, as is his app (mySugr). reddit.com/r/diabetes is also really fucking good for information because it's mostly first hand and as any diabetic will tell you, medical academia and in particular doctors, don't have a fucking clue most of the time.

Either way you sound like you care which is more than she gets from most people, so rock on.
>>
>>7634692
Yeah it fucking blows chasing blood sugars all the time (she's obviously taking too much humalog or taking it too early). It's like the feeling of the large meal lethargy/fasting hunger cycle x 50. She should try the keto thing. I've had the same damn vial of humalog in the fridge for 6 months (fuck you big pharma). Women also tend to get more fucked by type 1 because of hormones and a penchant for masochistic eating disorders.

I always thought the "diabetic" cookbooks were gay as shit. They seem trapped in the 1980's dieting fads. Low carb recipes are everywhere. Half the dishes in most cuisines are low carb. I have no idea why so many people think it's such a revolutionary thing.
>>
>>7634926
>a fat lazy shit with a bad diet who doesn't exercise every day

I was on the way there, yes. A hair under overweight, BMI wise, now with extra motivation to keep it in check. Still preferable to the health anxiety of not knowing what might be happening.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.