[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever heard of Jollibee, /ck/? I saw it on Anthony Bourdain's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
File: jollibee.jpg (2 MB, 939x843) Image search: [Google]
jollibee.jpg
2 MB, 939x843
Have you ever heard of Jollibee, /ck/? I saw it on Anthony Bourdain's Phillipines show earlier and it sparked my interest. Its an extremely popular fast food franchise in the Phillipines and is basically their own version of McDonalds. They sell burgers, fried chicken, some weird looking phillipino spaghetti, and other fast foods with a Phillipino twist. I did some research and found out there are a handful of these places in America, one of them being in a nearby major city. I'm sort of excited to try it next time I'm in town.
>>
File: 1461623998530.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1461623998530.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
>>7630267
>>
File: jollibee 2.png (90 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
jollibee 2.png
90 KB, 1024x1024
>>7630277
>>
>>7630267
Really mediocre chain. Don't get too excited.
>>
OP. I've never been there, but I wish you luck..
>>
There are two within a 15 minute drive of my house. I'll probably never go but I'm glad you've informed my life.
>>
File: Jollibe padala 1.png (546 KB, 741x385) Image search: [Google]
Jollibe padala 1.png
546 KB, 741x385
>>7630364
I'm not too excited, just a little. It was one of those moments where I see something on tv and am like "well thats interesting. I'd like to go there but most likely never will because I'll never go to the Phillipines". Then I find out they have at least one location in USA, then I find out there are a few locations in the USA, then I find out they have one a little over an hour away from where I live. I suspect it isn't very good and they are pandering to Phillipinos who want a taste of home and childhood nostalgia. I'm still pretty happy I can someday try it though.
>>
>>7630414
Well, yes. I, too, fell for the over-excitement of Filipinos on tv saying it one of their better chain; totally forgetting that Filipinos make horrible-tasting food.
>>
>>7630439
Yea none of the food on that episode looked that good. I somehow missed the Phillipines portion of world history, but why the fuck are those flips acting more American than actual Americans? Maybe its just they way they were portrayed in that episode but goddamn, they have more in common with Americans than Europeans. And some shit they do is so exaggerated that it's like they're American stereotype caricatures.
>>
>>7630449
what anime are you talking about?
>>
I think the spaghetti at Jollibee is like ketchup and noodles if I remember what my parents told me. My Filipino parents think it's terrible.

>>7630449
Do you mean American like how they like shoving food in your face?
>>
>>7630267
I had their spaghetti once, as a kid. So sweet and gristly that I shudder to recall it even now
>>
they opened on in the dubai mall last may
there were so many phillipinos lines up they had security guards and those snaking barriers they have at banks
>>
File: parts unknown manila.jpg (200 KB, 1100x619) Image search: [Google]
parts unknown manila.jpg
200 KB, 1100x619
>>7630457
Parts Unknown: Manila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-c1oKMJOg
>>
fucking awful

based mark shat on that garbo
>>
>>7630277
don't you fucking sully Carl's name with the meme text you god damn retard
>>
File: 1429826361951.gif (68 KB, 278x340) Image search: [Google]
1429826361951.gif
68 KB, 278x340
>>7630470
>"Ugh I hate myself"
>>
I live rather close to one and have been there three times. I think it's pretty alright. Nothing special. There are times when I do have cravings of certain items. Not bad though. 7/10
>>
Ask a native

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1M4AXb7HKg
>>
jollibees home to the most fucked up looking mascot and spaghetti with ketchup on it.
>>
>>7630414
>chickenjoy

lel
>>
All I know is Filipino spaghetti is super super sweet.

I don't think I'm a fan of Filipino food. Anything good is directly influenced from China or other SE Asian countries.
>>
>>7630596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PKO2FrdPY
>>
Flip spaghetti is one of the worst foods I've ever had the misfortune to interact with. Truly horrific stuff. So bad, it's turned me off of trying other Flip foods.
>>
>>7630267
there's a couple locations around here.
i usually go to get the spicy fried chicken and a bowl of rice.
>>
Place serves

>Spaghetti
>Hotdogs
>Burgers
>Chicken
>Breakfast

All at one fucking place?
>>
>>7630684
It's like the Philippines - a mishmash of random shit producing the Filipinos.
>>
Not too sure about it I live in Virginia Beach I know there's one by me but I don't hear too many people talk about it.
>>
>>7630449

After America shit on Spain, the Philippines became an American colony. The Philippines would be Hawaii 2.0 but when the Japs invaded in WW2, the Filipinos sided with the Americans and fought the Japs. As a reward, America granted the Philippines independence and now it's just another generic 3rd world shit hole.

fun fact: a recent study found that America is ranked #2 in which country loves America the most. Number 1 was The Philippines.
>>
File: jb_us_menu.jpg (295 KB, 798x1044) Image search: [Google]
jb_us_menu.jpg
295 KB, 798x1044
>>
>>7630808
>tendies are the most appealing thing on the menu

wew
>>
As a Filipino, I'd like to say that Jollibee is nothing but a fucking sham. You pay good money for a small serving of shitty food. You're better off using that money somewhere else. From what I know, Jollibee at the US is just there to lure overseas flip workers for nostalgia.
>>
utter garbage. only fast food I've actually tossed in the trash. ruined my opinion of flips
>>
food sucks
>>
>>7630267
There's one in the Seattle area when I used to live there.

It's ok.
>>
I wanna try the tuna pie.
>>
The lesson I've learned living in an area with a large Filipino population
Don't trust any dish that involves noodles because they have no fucking idea what they're doing (it looks and tastes like something a hobo would cook up) and they have a real fondness for BBQ meat (or maybe that's just because over here one restaurant has some mild success with it and others are copying them)
>>
>>7630267
Ida know.

Here where I live you get the same six restaurants repeating over and over every five miles. I'd love to have something like the Bee here because the shit I got is fucking bored and boring.
>>
>>7630267
OK well I've been, and its pretty flip OP. The spagetti is sweet like they like it so that's a no go. But their chicken when I had it was pretty damn good. Its more of a novelty for flips than anything.
>>
>>7630267
Their fried chicken is really good. Can't remember getting anything else from them actually.
>>
Yeah when i lived in koreatown in la there was one. Iactually think thats the same one they went to in the show but anyways its fucking gross.

Filipino food is litereal low tier trash food.
>>
>>7630808
Those burger steaks sound so shit
>>
>>7630267
I used to live in Brunei when I was younger.
A few chains there, only ever had the cheeseburger and I remember it being very disgusting (compared to McDonalds).
>>
>>7631893

>bases an entire culture of food off of a fast food chain

stay juvenile
>>
>>7630267
I'm filipino there is probably 2 things I'll eat there, the spaghetti I like sweet spaghetti, and tuna pie something they serve only in lent season. Don't eat jollibee states side the prices are retarded. 50 pesos is about 1 dollar, spaghetti in the philippines is 49 pesos, in america it's 5 bucks. Biggest ripoff ever. If you guys want to try something try philippine kfc rice with your chicken and free gravy you can drown your plate with gravy and it's the best.
>>
>>7632015
Well that and my best friend since grade school is filipino and ive eaten and cooked with his family before and yes their food is shit. Just a mish mash of other peoples shit.
>>
>>7630851
W-whats wrong with the tendies? Why does everyone on this board hate tendies? Why cant i enjoy some delicious tendies!
>>
>>7630646
The fuck is wrong with them.
>>
>>7632116
It's seen as simple, childish food for people with undeveloped palates. While it's sort of true, there's nothing wrong with enjoying tendies every now and then.
>>
theres one in woodside queens nyc

tthe bubble desserts are one of my favorites
>>
>>7630808
>burger steak

lol
>>
>>7632463
not even a flip, I'm american and hamburger steak is a thing at least where I live. It's exactly like that too. A ground beef patty covered in brown gravy and usually onion and/or mushrooms. Usually served with rice.
>>
File: img_1655.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
img_1655.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7630796
come on now, hawaii isnt nearly as shit as the Philippines. give us some fucking credit you fucking haole
>>
>>7632506
He doesn't need to. Hawaii is already better than Flipland but you live so far away so you probably don't really matter much to foreigners unless we're talking about vacation and volcanoes.
>>
File: sisig.jpg (121 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
sisig.jpg
121 KB, 1023x682
>>7632108

>bases an entire culture of food off of a fast food chain AND one random family

continue to remain juvenile
>>
File: 1420422981910.jpg (48 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1420422981910.jpg
48 KB, 640x640
>>7632174

>it's a "/pol/tard continues to be a cancerous faggot on a board for cooking" episode
>>
Yeah I live near one, never gone. The filipinos who live in the area like it though.
>>
do they have lumpia? Seems like a huge opportunity cause every now and then I get a lumpia craving and have to hassle the old lady next door to make me some.
>>
>>7632772
I doubt it. It looks like its basically a Flippified version of McDonalds and KFC.
>>
>>7630851
Anon traumatised in childhood by their beetus spaghetti here. The tendies are pretty good, actually, had some the other week.
>>
>>7630414
$22 for that shit, nigga iz u jokin
>>
there are a lot of them where I'm from, never ate there though because
>filipino food
>>
>>7632772
yes, they have it. bit pricey, though. you should buy one of those big packs they sell at the asian market for the same price
>>
this thread reminds me of my Filipino co worker
>>
>>7633990
We all have Filipino co-workers, dude.
>>
>>7632540
>>7632506
>>7630796
If everybody actually thought about reading up on history, the Philippines would have been the 50th American state, not Hawaii. It was just due to our dumbass president at the time who wanted to be a commonwealth and shit.

>>7633262
Yeah, it's pretty good though.

>>7630449
America was the Philippines' hero that's why we love them so much.

>>7630646
That's only one idiot tho. In America there's sketti. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1X2FBf7hw
>>
>>7632467
Yeah, it's also called salisbury steak in other countries. Well, it's what it was derived from.

Also, not to be very particular about food, but don't knock it til you try it. Bourdain thought the same way at first.
>>
>>7630267
It's shit except for the chicken. The Philippines isn't a burger eating country to be good at making them.
>>
>>7632108
Well my mom is Filipino and all her food is pretty dang popular here in Texas within all my co-workers.
>>
Our third-world palates love it. The taste of banana sauce in Jollibee's spaghetti reminds us of our ancestors. The chicken and palabok are decent at best, though.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.