[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it too late to learn to cook at 25? Will I ever be good if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 14210475755290.jpg (53 KB, 640x438) Image search: [Google]
14210475755290.jpg
53 KB, 640x438
Is it too late to learn to cook at 25? Will I ever be good if I start immediately?
>>
Absolutely. It's all about learning what tastes and foods go with other tastes and foods. Once you understand how to put different things together to make an end result, you're golden. Anyone can learn that.
>>
Of course it's not too late
>>
99% of cooking comes from knowing what tastes good. It's not a matter of age but whether or not you've been cultured enough, at least to be a professional

if you're talking about cooking for yourself, you're outta luck. have fun with McD's your entire life
>>
If you want to learn how to cook, spend about a year cooking from scratch three times a week following very good recipes....I prefer top rated ones from allrecipes
>>
>>7629027

>Is it too late to learn to cook at 25?

Not unless you don't plan on eating for the next 50-60 years.
>>
I started at 25
>>
>>7629027
Yes, it's all ogre
>>
>>7629027
Much like being a Jedi, if you start learning to cook over the age of 6 you are destined to go evil. Except instead of killing younglings, you make boxed meals and wifey material tier things.
>>
Buy a cookbook with cool pictures you like and work through it.

Alternatively, buy a professoinal textbook as well. It's filled with advice and tips on techniques of cooking, which is just as important as learning flavors.
>>
>>7629027
If you try that glory hole, you'll get it bit right the fuck off.
>>
>>7629027
Getting good at cooking is all about repetition as they say do something ten thousand times and it will eventually become perfect. Same concept I worked security at a hotel with a 1 star Michelin restaurant and stole the chefs recipe book like 3000 recipes. When I entertain guests I'm like a shot caller
>>
>>7629027
>Is it too late to learn to cook at 25? Will I ever be good if I start immediately?

No, you're thinking of competitive sports.

It's never too late to learn a new skill.
>>
>>7629027
It takes a long time to memorise all the specific recipes and individual foods, but 90% of cooking boils down to a few basic techniques. Skills like using a knife or understanding how/when to reduce a liquid are universal and easy enough to learn. Understanding the chemistry behind cooking processes helps immensely, and there are loads of good resources for this.
>>
I started cooking on and off when I was 20, and I really regret not learning sooner. I'm 24 now and am quite confident in making a lot of intermediate level meals, I've even come up with a few of my own recipes that my friends have really enjoyed.
>>
>>7629027
I have almost the exact same question, turning 26 and I have two kids (yes I know let out all your rage).

I grew up eating fast food every day and I am totally out of shape. Is there a good path to learning to cook well for a family?
>>
>>7630854
I don't like children, but having two children at 26 really isn't that bad
>>
>>7630049
>over the age of 6 you are destined to go evil
See: Luke Skywalker
>>
>>7630773
>and there are loads of good resources for this.
And none of them are /ck/
>>
It's never too late to start cooking, since cooking is easy as fuck
>>
>>7629027
yes cooking is fucking easy.
>>
depending on your income, it might be worth setting aside a bit of money to eat at high end restaurants regularly and pay lots of attention to flavours and how tastes play into each other
restaurants with tasting menus would be best for this
as this anon >>7629065 said you should learn what tastes good
also, stop eating at the fucking computer or tv and actually acknowledge what you eat
>>
no reason why not. it's all pretty simple. the only difficult thing about cooking is time management.

I am 27 and have never polished a pair of shoes before. I intend to do it this week as I bought a $300 pair of shoes which are looking bad. how do I do it? can I just pay someone at the shoe store?
>>
>>7630854
check out startcooking.com
>>
>>7630854
I have 2 kids at 27 you're fine bro. I was in the same situation, mom never really liked cooking too much. Lotta boxed and canned crap and the obligatory fast food. I picked up some random cookbooks and just went for it, simple stuff that looked good using fresh ingredients. The tough part is my 4 year old is picky, what I've learned is to just put it on the plate to get them familiar with whatever food they don't like. Eventually they get the hint and try it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.