[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Budget Meals Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: budget-recipes-and-easy-meals.jpg (87 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
budget-recipes-and-easy-meals.jpg
87 KB, 700x400
Okay so I've discovered a new cheap combination that I actually like a lot, so I figured I'd get a budget meals thread going

Here's what I've got:

- 2 cups rice cooked with 1 packet sazon goya seasoning
- 1 can chicken breast
- 1/2 can black beans and 1/2 can peas

Makes a really nice pot of seasoned rice with chicken, beans and peas.

Anyone have any other budget meals ideas?
>>
Dry lentils are much cheaper than canned beans and cook in 10 minutes, still very high in protein and fiber like most legumes.
>>
>>7625526
Do you mean split lentils? The whole brown ones (cheapest usually at the store) take 30-45 minutes to cook.
>>
I need meal recommendations

I usually have bread, eggs, milk, noodles are the staple, then sauces and simple burritos
So just burritos, eggs, pasta and pb&j make up my whole diet

I don't really know what people usually eat for meals, need things that don't take that much supplementary ingredients as I'm a poor student but I feel like I could be eating a lot healthier food for my budget
>>
>>7625552
Spaghetti and ground beef are pretty good, but then again I have a place nearby that sells ground beef buy-one-get-one-free, so it's fairly cheap for me.

Anyway, rice is a cheap and versatile option, as in the OP. Only problem is you really need some kind of seasoning with it because plain white rice sucks.
>>
That's legitimately about tree fiddy.

>2 cups rice
Weighs about 300g. Depending on the size of the bags of rice you buy, that can cost anywhere between 14¢-66¢.

>cooked with 1 packet sazon goya seasoning
A box of ten costs $2, so 20¢.

>- 1 can chicken breast
$2.29 or so.
>- 1/2 can black beans and 1/2 can peas
50¢ and 35¢, respectively.

How many servings is that, you think?

Here's my low-cost suggestion, going with your beans and rice motif:

black beans, 13¢
>2lb bag is $2 and a half pound cooks up into four servngs, each costing 12.5¢

oil, 1tbsp
>128 oz of oil is equal to 256 tbsp and costs $6.99, so 3¢

flour, 1tbsp
>7g of flour, a 5lb bag costs $2, so less than 1¢

onion, 1 very small
>3lbs costs $2 and a very small one weighs about a quarter lb. so 17¢.

garlic, 1 clove
>a sleeve of five heads is $1, there are about 20 cloves per head so about 1¢

jalapeño, 1
>1lb is $4, and a single 'peño weighs about an oz, so 25¢

chili powder, 1,5tbsp
>about 10g and a 100g container costs $1, so 10¢

cumin powder, 1tbsp
>about 7g and a 100g container costs $1, so 7¢

tomato juice, half cup
>48oz bottle costs $2, so 17¢

water, half cup
>let's just say free

stock cube, enough for 1 cup
>pack of knorr, enough for 12 cups, costs $2, so 17¢

rice, 1 cup, cooked
>1lb of rice cooks up to 5-6 servings, so going with the highest cost, let's assume 20¢ each serving

That's $1.30.
>>
Remember, always ask the guy in the meat department if he has anything that's marked down because it's close to being past the sell-by date.

Nothing quite like getting 3lbs of ground beef for $5.
>>
>>7625653
I got $10.something worth of oxtail yesterday for $6 doing that. The meat department manager slapped a discount sticker on it because I brought up its approaching expiry.

Love oxtail and grew up eating it (brisket and oxtail soup, fuck yeah!) but the price has been escalating due to interest from non-immigrants.

I guess it's nice that I can find it at literally every supermarket nowadays, at least.
>>
>>7625533
Well you are right, only Red and French lentils cook in 10 minutes, the other ones 30-45
>>
Adderall and food rations
>>
>>7625609
Made this for dinner but it cost me less than $1.30 because 4lb bag of mixed kidney and pinto beans is $2.79 and I used that instead of black beans. Also, no japaleenies and just upped the amount of chili powder. And instead of rice, I ate it with free Passover matzo supermarkets around here give out for free every year in March/April. Six boxes of three packages each, each of six matzot (so total of 108 "loaves") for free.
>>
>>7625759
is this diet food? how skinny are you?
>>
>>7625517
>rice
>>
>>7627212
>meme arrows
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.