[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I had a grease fire the other day. I haven't the sl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
So I had a grease fire the other day.

I haven't the slightest clue what caused it.

I simply put some oil (Sapporito Olive and Canola oil mix) in the pan, heated the pan to about 8 and... Well, after a few minutes, it just went up in flames.

This caused a lot of soot to spread throughout my kitchen, and I had to paint the kitchen as a result.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this happened?

Again, I heated the pan to about 8, 2 full levels below the max setting. There are tons of recipes that call for max heat so either my burner runs too hot or there's something wrong with my oil.

Brand of oil used:

http://www.saporitofoods.com/uploads/product-shots/2L-CanolaOlive.jpg
>>
>8
>not 4
>>
>>7624576
Pretty sure it got too hot, chief
>>
You can smell and see the oil as it approaches the combustion point. How anyone could have missed the clues (which are not subtle at all) is beyond me.

Did you just turn on the stove and leave the room to play video games or something?
>>
>>7624576
u gots poltergeist nigga
>>
>>7624633
sorry i forgot to lean my face over the pot to smell and see it
>>
>using induction hobs
>>
>>7624681
Standing at the stove like a normal person would work too.

Ask an adult for supervision next time you decide to try your hand at cooking.
>>
>>7624685
>being british
>>
>>7624633

I went out to have a smoke, but I live in a pretty small apartment and could see the pan in the distance.
>>
>>7624745

>smoking

you deserved you're fire lmao

>describing heat as '8'

lmao
>>
You're supposed to use refined oil for cooking, especially high-heat cooking. I disagrees with the manufacturer's suggestion on its website to use the oil for pan frying, even though it is clearly listed as being composed at least partially of cold-pressed oils. What you want to use for high-heat cooking is an oil with a very high smoke point, such as refined peanut oil, or refined oils high in oleic acid and low in polyunsaturated fats (high-oleic safflower, high-oleic sunflower)
>>
probably one of the oils you used have a lower smoking temp.
>>
setting it to 8/10 would bring it to smoke point in just a few mins if you had a good pan
>>
Olive oil has a low smoke point. For frying, it's better to use something like peanut oil or sunflower oil.
http://www.seriouseats.com .com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html
>>
File: watrudoin.gif (123 KB, 496x279) Image search: [Google]
watrudoin.gif
123 KB, 496x279
>>7624576
>heated the pan to about 8
>about 8
>8
>>
>>7624633
I've had this happen to someone who added oil to a pan and it didn't at all take longer than the time it would take for him to put the lid back on the oil and fish the pan off the stove before it caught anything on fire.
>>
>>7624576
something on the pot or burner most likely... or, you're lying about the few minutes part. You will eventually heat can-olive to its smoke point and beyond at 8, but not over the course of a few minutes.

Gas stove?
>>
>>7625970
Sure, if you add oil to an already hot pan, and you don't know how hot that pan is, of course this can happen.

But if you're heating the oil from cold, you should see the problems coming from a long ways off.
>>
>>7624576
pan too hot, oil with low smoke point

at least you didn't burn the place down
>>
>>7624576
You overheated the oil. The dial settings are relative to the maximum heating capacity of the burner, not to any fixed temperature, which is an unknown unless you've actually tested it with a thermometer somehow. Regardless, you never walk away from a pan of oil over heat, ya dingus. If you stand there and watch it until it just starts to give off little wisps of smoke, then you can back the heat setting down a little. That is the point where you are seconds away from combustion. Now that you've learned this lesson you don't have to repeat this mistake.
>>
>>7624576
like some anon in the thread said earlier, olive oil smokes at about 300-350 degrees. for reference, on most stoves, an 8 would put you at something like 400+.

only use olive oil for low heat dishes like fish, stuff that needs a gentle cook
>>
I never turn my stove above 4 or 5 unless I'm boiling water.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_YXN8PiFNM

A huge cloud of smoke not a good enough warning for you?
>>
Once I covered a pan to make the oil get hot faster and forgot about it, when I lifted the lid it made a fucking FIREBALL.
>>
>>7625377
olive oil has high enough smoke point for general frying especially if mixed with canola
>>
Flash point of olive oil is just under 600 degrees. If you had it on high for 5 minutes on a crazy output burner, you could reach that temp pretty quick
>>
File: 1441823113659.jpg (57 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1441823113659.jpg
57 KB, 500x501
>>7624576
I am going to assume 8/10 is about 425 F+ (218 C), which is beyond the smoke point of EV olive oil, which is a component of the oil you used.
Use oil that can take temperatures like that if you are going to cook with them.
http://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points
>>
>>7625463
/thread
>>
Is this a troll
>>
Next time, add sherry to the fire to extinguish.
>>
Not OP, but any tips for preventing grease fires? Never had cooking oil catch on fire, but searing greasy hamburgers is a different story.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.