[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
British Cuisine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: steak-and-kidney-suet-pudding.jpg (49 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
steak-and-kidney-suet-pudding.jpg
49 KB, 625x352
Why do people always think of "Fish and Chips" when British Cuisine got mentioned?

Fish and Chips is literally just deep fried, tasteless cod, soaked in oil. Served with potatoes, deep fried, soaked in oil.

There's so much better stuff on offer from the British Isles (like Steak and Kidney Suet Pudding, for example, or indeed any of the glorious British pies). And yet nobody cares about them and everybody would say "Lol your country's only good for deep frying fish! British cuisine is therefore shit!"

It's like if people say the Italians are only good for Spaghetti Bolognese, or the French are only good for Snails.
>>
>soaked in oil

do you really think steak and kidney pudding has the high ground in this matter
>>
If Gentlemen will have French Cooks, they must pay for French Tricks. So much is the blind Folly of this Age, that they would rather be impos'd on by a French Booby, than give Encouragement to a good English Cook!
>>
>Kidney pie
>Piss-flavored pie made from piss-flavored organ that you can't properly clean
>>
>>7618718
Nobody says that fish and chips is the only good British dish, it's just one that comes to mind. The exact same way that snails come to mind when discussing the French or Bolognese for the Italians. It's not a statement of "the only good dish" or anything like that, it's just an example of one well-known food from that country. Chicken Tikka Masala is another good example for British cooking.
>>
I'd give anything for a steak and gravy slice right now desu

>no greggs in west britain
>worst feel
>>
>>7618718
>Fish and Chips is literally just deep fried, tasteless cod, soaked in oil. Served with potatoes, deep fried, soaked in oil.

Still better than the rest vomitus crap you brits eat
>>
>Chicken Tikka Masala is another good example for British cooking
Yeah, that's it! Nice one
>>
British food is fucking shit. Most of the time it somehow manages to be stodgy and unsatisfying at once. I'm amazed that even have a dish to show off to tourists.
>>
File: british olive oil.jpg (115 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
british olive oil.jpg
115 KB, 500x334
>>7618718
Not being funny, but only losers in the south use "oil"

In The North We deep fry our superior Haddock And Chips in Beef Dripping.

Higher smoke point, no "soaked in oil" southern fail.

Pity you live in the wrong part of the country.
>>
>>7618783

chips absorb oil no matter what temperature you fry them at
>>
British cuisine while not the most varied but is for sure terribly underrated. I happen to be a lot near Oxford and well before I was pretty sure was all about the breakfast and fish and chips.
>>
I love making steak and guiness pies. The gravy is so fucking rich and good. Thickly slice some potatoes without peeling and bake them for the last 25 minutes the pie's done for a great meal, have it with some peas.
>>
>>7618894
recipe?
>>
>>7618742
>no greggs in west britain

u wot m8? There's loads of the fuckers here in Bristol.
>>
>>7618838

I think his point was that they cannot absorb OIL if you fry them in DRIPPING instead. The higher smoke point was a side comment.
>>
>>7618939
I change it a little every time.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8326/serious-steak-and-ale-pie

You can follow that as a basic outline. I serve with veg instead of putting it inside the pie, and replace it instead with more steak (leaner instead of overly fatty) so the pie isn't underfilled. The guinness makes the gravy dark and thick, almost black, but it's so damn good. Goes great with the chips too if you let the filling spill and combine.
>>
>>7618953
>they cannot absorb OIL if you fry them in DRIPPING

You...you don't know what any of those things are, do you?
>>
>>7618742
worcestershire fag here they everywhere here too
>>
>>7618959
Having looked at that recipe, don't go near it. I just found the first steak pie recipe and posted it since I use a basic template, but don't use oxo cubes. It needs real stock or it'll become watery salty shit.
>>
>>7618960
right back at you, dripping is a fat, not an oil
>>
>>7618940
I meant to say Dublin
>>
File: ira.jpg (71 KB, 752x501) Image search: [Google]
ira.jpg
71 KB, 752x501
>>7618993
>Confused Dublin with Britain
>>
>>7619005
It's a joke, like that Dublin is basically west Britain
>>
>>7619020
But it isn't... Belfast maybe, but the republic isn't part of Britain
>>
>>7618718
I have a weakness for mushy peas and pickled onions.
>>
File: u_wot.jpg (84 KB, 634x445) Image search: [Google]
u_wot.jpg
84 KB, 634x445
>>7619020
>Dublin is basically west Britain
>>
>>7618718
pasties
>>
>>7618783
>>7618953
its still oil you fucking poof, just cause its solid at room temp doesn't mean its not oil
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.