[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
red pill me /ck/. I'm heading to Philadelphia next week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: MIlk_steak_with_jelly_beans_373.jpg (168 KB, 1280x840) Image search: [Google]
MIlk_steak_with_jelly_beans_373.jpg
168 KB, 1280x840
red pill me /ck/.

I'm heading to Philadelphia next week on business and will be near downtown for about a week. I'm looking for recommendations for places that will help me experience all that is philly.

where are the best spots to eat? I'd prefer value and a "local" experience over fine dining and hype, if that makes sense.

I am also into beer, specifically sours, barrel aged beers, and citra/simcoe-ish IPAs. are there any solid breweries/bottleshops in the area that I shouldn't miss?

cheers.
>>
>red pill

Get back in your containment board.
>>
>>7617969

I don't know whether this is touristy or dumb, but I was in Philly for a day last year and I went to the Reading Terminal Market. It felt kind of like a bazaar. Interesting experience, any kind of food you could want. Something to look into, though I'm clearly no expert on Philly.
>>
>>7617973
/tv/?
>>
>>7617973
Fuck off back to your containment website.
>>
>>7617979
sounds fun. I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the tip.

>>7617973
quality start to any /ck/ thread. thanks for the bumps friends

>>7617999
nice trips
>>
>>7618055
At first I was on your side OP, but now I realise you're from /b/. This guy was right: >>7617973
>>
>>7617969
geno's
that's it
there is nothing else in philly worth a damn.
>>
>>7617973
Christ you faggots drain the energy out any thread you infest.
>>
>>7618081
>Geno's

HAHAHAHAAHA you're literally a faggot. If you want a sandwich pick any family owned corner store in south philly. Don't go to pat or genos. Absolute trash.

Pizza brain and little baby's ice cream are cool, Sabrians Cafe is wonderful if you want a fat ass breakfast
>>
>>7618090
any specific recommendations for a cheesesteak? will probably end up trying either pat or genos just to say that I did, but I know what I'm getting myself into.
>>
>>7618097
John’s Roast Pork
>>
New Delhi
It's around upenn and will be the best cheap Indian food experience you've had
>>
>>7618105
If it's even open yet. It has been so damn long since I last ate there. It doesn't help that it just sits there, mocking me, whenever I head to iHop.
>>
>>7618097
Gooey Looies
>>
>>7618597
It's not very good.

Just a few blocks away is Kabobeesh. They serve Pakistani food. Paki food is just about the same thing as Punjabi food which is what New Delhi serves, obviously. Kabobeesh >>>>>>> New Delhi.

The best Indian joints in Philly are actually in and around Millbourne, which is the only town in the US where Asian Indians form a plurality of the population. Something like two-thirds of Millbourne residents are Asian of any kind (Indians and East Asians both), with about 40% of the total pop being specifically Indians.

And while there are no South Indian restaurants in Philadelphia proper (at least not that I know of), Millbourne and nearby Upper Darby both have quite a number of Keralites (the most famous of whom is M. Night Shyamalamadingdong) and a few South Indian eateries as well as plenty of Punjabi places.

Millbourne and Upper Darby are a ten minute EL ride from University City, which is where New Delhi and Kabobeesh are.

As for natively Philadelphian fare, don't really both with cheesesteaks from anywhere but a cart, pizza place or corner store with a grill. For roast pork, everyone's gonna talk Jon's up a bunch, but Nick's Roast Beef has, paradoxically, the better roast pork sandwich.

If it's warm and sunny, you may run into the carrot cake man around somewhere. If you do, buy one. It's actually pretty good. The guy's been a Philly fixture that no one seems to talk about since forever.

South Philly is really interested in Cambodian food these days, which is a shame because all the restaurants opening up to cater to the sudden interest kind of suck. One place that's actually good (and pre-dates the bandwagon by several decades) is Phnom Penh, on 7th and Wolf. Best fucking spring rolls, ever. Khmer ones are wrapped in rice paper rather than wheat, so they blister as they fry and are super crunchy. I mention it because Khmer food doesn't seem to be common really anywhere else.
Hope this helps.
>>
>>7617969
>red pill
Grow up and google.
>>
>>7618097

you could go to Max's on Erie Ave. It's like Pat's and Geno's but in the hood. Also they probably have better steaks.

definitely don't go to Jim's on south street. I remember them being pretty good when I was a kid but either they've gotten worse or I had shit taste. Most likely the latter
>>
>>7618097
I went to Geno's and it wasn't bad at all, it's just a tourist trap. It's a philly cheesesteak, that shit isn't complicated. Did I like it? Yea. Was it fun? Yea. Did I have better cheesesteaks in Philly? Yea. Have I had better cheesesteaks in states far away from Philly? Yes. The best cheesesteak I had around Philly was from some antique shop just outside of town that had a deli in it. I'd suggest you go to one of the tourist trap steak places, then just randomly buy them whenever you see them being sold.
>>
>>7619969
Their entire staff changed. The manager of the South Street location and everyone that worked under him used the place as a front for selling drugs. A crackhead would get to the front of the line and order some odd thing no one ever orders (don't know what) and the workers would put the drugs into his brown bag.
I don't know how they got caught, but the manager guy has been in jail about six years now and he's up for parole in a few months. I know his baby momma.
That might be why you don't like it anymore.
2bh, I never liked either of Jim's locations. Both are fucking shit.

Never been to Max's, unless you mean the place on Lehigh with the fucking huge cheesesteaks. You don't really get much more hood than Frankford and Lehigh without heading deep into Logan or Nicetown. Even West Philly's gentrifying nowadays.
>>
>>7617979
OP, especially if you're in Center City, check out Reading Terminal. It's a really unique place and it's just exclusively a tourist trap (I do my grocery shopping at Iovine and some of the butchers there weekly).
Italian Market is okay, now it's like half mexicans but still some cool stuff down there.

In terms of cheesesteaks,
>>7618090
>>7618698
>>7620029
Are spot on. Any place that's known for their cheesesteaks is probably sub-par. My favorite place was Mama Angelina's/PizzaSteaks on Broad and Locust. Closed after being open 40 years. RIP In Peace.
Just try a random cart/mom and pop pizza place. That's where you'll find the actually good ones. If you want specifics, there's a cart on 11th and Sansom that makes really good cheesesteaks for $5. It's right next to Jefferson hospital.
If you have a rental car I'd say go to Mama's out in Bala Cynwyd (yes that's how you spell the city). Best cheesesteaks period. They have weird hours, google them.

Just in general for places in "downtown," I enjoy Han Dynasty in Old City and Gran Caffé L'Aquila for good, cost effective dinners. Han is a Szechuan place, very spicy but very good. Centered in Philly. L'Aquila is an italian jawn that has some really good entres with savory gelato to compliment.
>>
>redpill

>>>/pol/

>>>/r/TheRedPill

>>>/wizardchan/
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.