[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys have any tips for cheap eating while on a road trip?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: xbpxfz7zbstkl4k8l4jz.jpg (69 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
xbpxfz7zbstkl4k8l4jz.jpg
69 KB, 640x360
Do you guys have any tips for cheap eating while on a road trip?
>>
Go to places with dollar menus, I guess.
>>
Buy a bunch of cheap food at a supermarket ahead of time and don't eat out
>>
Find a grocery store instead of a fast food chain
>>
>>7617082
Don't eat anything that will pass right through you. Stay away from taco bell
>>
>>7617342
Taco Bell bean burritos won't do that. OP should stay away from their meat and "cheese" sauce.
>>
Sandwiches
>>
bring a cooler and grocery shop

if you're camping get a small bbq.. if you're motelling spend the extra $10-20 a night for a kitchenette room
>>
I only ate one meal a day out and went to cheap places. No entree was over 10 bux. Otherwise I just snacked on shit I brought like fruit and instant oatz. So I got to try great local food AND it didn't cost too much.
>>
>>7617093
Yeah seriously.

Buy nuts and apples. They fill up are heatlhy and cheap and can stand hot temperatures.

You can buy a small cooler and pack cold meats and bread and baby carrots and refresh icepacks in a motel cooler.
>>
For cheap eating don't leave a tip
>>
OP here, thanks for the suggestions.

>>7618560
Yeah I think this is a good suggestion and I will probably do the same. I might spoil myself a few times on this trip but otherwise just fill up on fruits and cheap snacks.
>>
>>7617082
>Do you guys have any tips for cheap eating while on a road trip?
Wal-Mart + ice chest.
Keep your drinks at a minimum of cost, from store brand 12packs to just squirting some flavor drops into your ice water. Buy iced tea gallons vs coffee, use a car lighter gadget for hot beverages.
PBJ with goober grape, or some lunchmeat thrown in the cooler. Bag of apples, Bag of bread, maybe a danish ring you can carve a bit off of each day.

Only you know what you like to drink and eat on the road. Some convenience foods like a deli chicken salad, or a footlong sub cut in thirds can last a day or two and be balanced with 99c pretzels and some whole fruit.

Overall, keeping sodium intake down should help with hunger and cravings. Gnoshing on salty snacks and then being sick of eating out of a bag but ravenous should keep the cravings low for whatever appealing fast food options pass you by. And, yea, order off dollar menus, only get ice cream, and get a free iced water in a cup, when you stop in their restrooms.
>>
>>7617091
Yeah, anything that isn't perishable. I like to even bring a propane tank with a single burner (pic related) for boiling water, then you can make pasta, oatmeal, instant coffee, etc.
>>
>>7619154
Peanut butter, yeah I could always just stop by a store and get some bagels or a few buns and eat that for a few days. I hear pb on tortillas is a good hiking snack. I'm thinking that in Cali the avocados should be pretty cheap as well so I could always make sandwiches with some canned tuna and avocados.
>>
>>7617082
How long is the road trip? I like to have a small cooler in the back of my car with a bag of ice, and prepared sandwhiches in paper baggies so they don't get soggy. If you don't want to paper bag getting wet, you could wrap the sandwhich in a paper towel then stick it in a ziploc. The icechest is good for a few drinks and fruits, and you can have some trail mix up next to your seat to snack on. This will save you some cash.

other than that, try to get meal deals that you can take on the road, like a footlong subway, eat half there, eat the other half on the road.
>>
>>7617082
carry a big coal bag in the trunk, run oner any animal you see.
thats what i call easy eating
>>
Make your own sammies, veggies to snack on. Whatever nonalcoholic beverages you like.
>>
>>7619422
6 weeks and I'm going by motorbike which makes things slightly more difficult. I actually have a small cooler that I'm able to fit a few things in and I have full camping set as I plan to camp for about half of the trip. I might just be too lazy to cook for myself every day though, especially if I'm tired at the end of the day.

>>7619484
I think I'll be eating a lot of sandwiches on this trip :)
>>
Make a couple of PBJ sandwiches every day before you set off
Like everyone else said, carry things like apples and oranges or other durable fruit that don't need a fridge.
Lots and lots of nuts (preferably unsalted), I try to get nice nut, seed and dried fruit mixes and they're really really good.
For protein you could take some jerky or hard-boiled eggs, or if you're /fit/ conscious you could bring some protein powder and make some shakes.
Most tinned food tastes like ass, but tinned anchovies, baked beans, sweetcorn all taste great.
Biscuits that aren't too sweet like digestives are quite good and filling and don't have chocolate in them that makes them messy.

Just some ideas.
>>
>>7617604
This.

The bonus is that kitchenette rooms are more often available at cheaper motels so you're generally saving money on the room rate compared to staying at a more expensive motel/hotel and also saving money on food while eating better.
>>
>>7619498
Fast food is cheap.
Despite what /fit/ may think, eating takeaway a few times on this rare few occasions won't kill you or turn you into America's fattest man. And you will get sick of sandwiches and whatever shit you could make at a motel room.
>>
>>7617342
>le Taco Bell gives you the shits meme
Things people with weak digestive systems say for $400
>>
>>7619610
Personally, I think it's people not getting enough fiber and suddenly getting a megadose from the beans.
One of my coworkers swore it was the beef that caused it, and would only eat chicken or steak options.
No matter what, a road trip is NOT the time to find out if T.B. gives you the shits or not.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.