[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there meal plans for adults? Like a place to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3
Why aren't there meal plans for adults? Like a place to eat you just pay rent at and can use as much as you like? Just imagine.

Say the average demographic of this meal plan spends $100 a week on food. This includes groceries and a little eating out. Instead of that they could start paying a $400 monthly bill for a meal plan at this big cafeteria. They can go there and eat whatever they like whenever it's open, like in college. There would be different special dishes everyday alongside daily options of sandwiches, salad bar, pizza, cereal, and desserts. This way people wouldn't have to worry about cooking, going to real restaurant alone or eating fast food or frozen dinners every meal. People who aren't members of the cafeteria can come eat too but they have to pay extra, members just walk right in.

What does /ck/ think?
>>
>>7608300
Have you heard of Golden Coral?
>>
>>7608300
Those exist. Luby's, et al.

I have no idea why anyone would want to eat there though; it's boring bland cafeteria-style slop.

>>going to real restaurant alone
What's the problem with that?
>>
>>7608306
Lubys is almost exactly how it would be but there would be a little more variety like a self serve salad bar, a sandwich deli counter, pizza, burrito bar.

Can you buy a membership at Lubys and eat unlimited for a month?
>>
>>7608311
>Can you buy a membership at Lubys and eat unlimited for a month?

Why on earth would you want to do that?
>>
>>7608300
>100$ a week on food.

Holy shit. I spend like 55$ a week and I eat like a fucking king
>>
>>7608328
Do you make your own food?

If yes, then you don't eat like a fucking king.

Get a load of this mongoloid.
>>
>>7608328
>I eat like a fucking king
No you don't, you just think you do, pleb.
>>
>>7608300
I was thinking something similar today OP, but as more of a way to restrict diets. You would pay someone to portion out your meals so you wouldn't overeat, like mother used to do with my tendies before I burned the umbilical cord. I miss not having to worry.
>>
>>7608300
There are tons of them. I pass a sign for eatcleanbro every day.
>>
>>7608336
>If yes, then you don't eat like a fucking king.

Sure he could. He wouldn't be *living* like a king if he does his own labor, but he could still eat very well.
>>
>>7608545
Next time you go to a restaurant you should go into the kitchen and cook the food yourself then pay.
>>
>>7608337
You know its not called burger King because actual Kings eat there right?
>>
But such a thing already exists, OP.

It's called being an adult and being able to walk into any restaurant, anytime it's open, and order anything you want.
>>
>>7608300
This is the role the club used to fulfill for wealthy men.
>>
>>7608584
Lol
>>
>>7608556
Wow, you're missing the point, restaurant you're paying for food plus labor puts their overhead. If you were paying for food alone, your bill would really be cut by 3/4's. That's what home cooking costs you is about 3/4 of a restaurant meal, and if you know what you're doing in the kitchen the food tastes as good if not better. Guess it's a matter of what your time is worth to you but you missed the point completely
>>
>>7608328
>everybody look at how low my standards are!!
>>
>>7608609
It would be sort of like an old timey gentlemans club but it would be for lazy neets and women could join. Pay membership, never worry about food or drink, come and go as you like, eat in peace. No cooking required, no awkwardly walking into a restaurant and having to sit alone, no table service so you don't have to worry about tipping or talking to a server. If you've ever been on a college meal plan it would be exactly like that but more adult oriented.
>>
In many countries I've experienced different models of paying for however much you eat. In one place they had a cafeteria style where you could put as much as you wanted and then they charged by weight. The food there was cheap but very good and had a lot of variety so a lot of people who worked or went to school in the area ate there almost every day.

In Asia in some countries it's popular to bring out a spread of food, say 10 different small containers of food, and you only pay for the ones you've eaten.

I think both options are a lot better than buffets which usually offer cheap shit because they know people will go there to stuff themselves silly.
>>
>>7608640
Honestly if you have a few cheap cooking staples on hand at all times, and can plan enough to buy ingredients for multiple different dishes in a given week $55 isn't bad, not great, but not bad. You won't eat like shit that's for sure
>>
>>7608625
>kings cook their own food
>kings time is spent cooking

A kings dining experience is that of a nice restaurant on a daily basis.
>>
>>7608676
>A kings dining experience is that of a nice restaurant on a daily basis.

And that's not very expensive if one performs the labor himself. That part isn't very "kingly" even though the meals might certainly be.
>>
>>7608665
For example if you buy a bag of carrots for one meal alone you're retarded, you gotta plan. I bought some carrots and that went into Bolognese, soup and stir fry. If you're throwing shit out you're not planning ahead and doing it wrong
>>
>>7608676
Eat like a king not live like a king you idiot. It's called English comprehension, you lack it
>>
>>7608328
I spend about 70 a week, make everything from scratch. I wouldn't be able to afford fish, shrimp, or beef at 55 a week.
>>
>>7608686
That's why going to the frocery store and eating at a restaurant have different costs for the same thing. Kings have the money to not pay the opportunity cost of doing it themselves. Kings don't eat thir meal knowing the dishes they will have to clean afterwards.
>>
>$400 a month to eat in a cafeteria

Why is it that people with money to blow always have terrible taste?
>>
>>7608705
I scored college level english comprehension in fourth grade. Kings don't cook their own food. I look at eating as the ecoerience as a whole, not the calories, protien, fat, and carbohydrates that go into it. So do kings. Kings don't cook their own meal. Eating is an experience, poorfag.
>>
>>7608708
>That's why going to the frocery store and eating at a restaurant have different costs for the same thing.
Yes, I know.

>>Kings have the money to not pay the opportunity cost of doing it themselves.
Yes. But we're not talking about the entire experience of being a king. We're talking solely about eating like one, not spending like a king, fucking like a king, being waited on hand-and-foot like a king, etc. Just eating.

And a regular person could indeed "eat like a king" on a modest budget if they do all the work themselves.
>>
>>7608717
>I scored college level english comprehension in fourth grade.

Then why do you keep talking about cooking when our discussion is limited to eating?
>>
File: kangz.png (622 KB, 740x516) Image search: [Google]
kangz.png
622 KB, 740x516
eating like kangz
>>
>>7608726
This is a difference in what eat like a king mrans to each of us. I didn't grow up poor so just eating steak and seafood on a regular basis isn't royal enough a treatment to me.
>>
>>7608328
Kek $30-50 for me. You guys are living it up.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (441 KB, 1918x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
441 KB, 1918x1080
Indian here.

There kind of services are common in India, at least where I am from. Normally they are one meal a day and you pay maybe a weekly subscription. But you get a big meal with meat and often just water. They do kids portions too which are half an adult. It works out cheaper than cooking yourself because everything is done in bulk. Often single men and single women do it so they can mingle...

Normally the portion is large as for many people it is their only meal of the day except for fruit/yogurt/snacks. It's like a Sikh Langar but you pay. Actually many Sikhs will pay for that monthly too as a donation or in rural places they will donate ingredients.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3-_HnNy8U0
>>
File: 1449608831120.jpg (26 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1449608831120.jpg
26 KB, 800x600
>>7608805
>all dat poo
>>
>>7608812
Hi /int/, how are you and your family? Do you have loo?
>>
>>7608812
And no signs of a loo
>>
>>7608805
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
>>
Why aren't there restaurants that have "kids" menus for adults? It could have mac and cheese, chicken fingers, a hot dog, etc.

You order off it and you get a small prize or free ice cram for dessert. Imagine that.
>>
>>7608827
>Imagine that.

sounds horrible.

A kid's menu makes sense because when a group of people go out to a restaurant there often needs to be something for the kids to eat. But what adult wants to eat such basic and bland food? What adult would eat a child's portion? And worst of all, what adult would be willing to pay restaurant prices for it?
>>
>>7608827
It's called McDonald's.
>>
>>7608846
This. You could live on $100 a week at McDonalds and they're open most hours of the day if not 24/7.
>>
>>7608846

McDonald's has a kid's menu for adults?
>>
>>7608805
That's what I'm talking about indianbro. Working singles pay a subscription and go eat instead of cooking or eating fast food all the time. Since no family would pay for this service it isn't weird to go eat alone. Also it would give singles a place to meet that doesn't involve a bar scene or alcohol. I'm thinking maybe this "cafeteria club" could also have different activities like showing movies, playing games, live entertainment, etc.
>>
>>7608827
You can order a kids meal as an adult at pretty much any fast food place.

They don't care. They just want you to pay and leave.
>>
>>7608859
Yes, the entire menu. A quarter pounder meal is the exact same food as a happy meal, just bigger.
>>
>>7608861
The one problem with your idea is the three meals a day. Most people won't want to walk or drive somewhere for all 3 meals. Not sure about the entertainment, people need to specialize and cooks are good at cooking.
>>
>>7608300

What about a restaurant that sells you the food uncooked and then you come home and cook it? They good vary the ingredients like different cuts of meats, different vegetables, etc. as well as a good selection of prepared appetizers and desserts.

Items from this restaurant could be fresh or frozen to make your dining experience at home much easier. Imagine that.
>>
>>7608897

They don't have grocery stores where you're from?
>>
>>7608888
Nice digits.

3 meals a day might be overkill. If it was marketed towards working singles I'm thinking one dinner meal would be good since these people could eat lunch at work. I'm imagining it in a downtown area where young singles go work in offices, a city like phoenix or Houston.
>>
>>7608897
Why do that? They offer this service through mail, it's called blue table or something. They send a box with all the ingredients and recipe and you cook it. I like the idea but its expensive.
>>
I'm always jealous when I read old novels and food cooked by old ladies is included when a bachelor rents a room or apartment. Why doesn't that exist anymore?
>>
>>7608941
before Social Security, widows needed to work so they ran Boarding Houses
>>
>>7608941
>Why doesn't that exist anymore?

What makes you think it doesn't?
>>
>>7608854
Much less than that if you're efficient.
2 McDubs and 2 McChickens twice a day is about 3000 calories. Free water and you're bulking for about fifty a week.
>>
>>7608941
Poo in the loo Indian guy here.

It happens in India too. But you know people do that because they don't have much money. Here in the UK I make the average salary and have a car and 2 bedroom house to myself, eat good food and save a few hundred pounds a month. Some young men would kill for that instead of having to live two to a room in some old ladies house while working 12 hours a day for the privilege.

I think you're just being nostalgic for a simpler and more community orientated time.
>>
>>7608897
There's plenty of places like that in Houston.

Some places you go pick it up from a pre-determined menu. Some places deliver.

In all cases, it's extremely overpriced and all organic.

Interestingly enough, HEB (a Texas grocery chain) has started doing the same. If you order $50 worth of HEB Organics online, they'll ship it to you for free.
>>
>>7608641

Sounds like shit and a stupid idea. Why not just bring back gentleman clubs and be very explicit in the men only part?
>>
Join a cult with a meal plan, OP.

Or start one.
>>
>>7609064
>be very explicit in the men only part
Anon, think about that for a second.

Do you really think that will fly in today's anti-white, anti-male social climate?

I specified 'anti-white' because you and I both know that it would be seen as a thing for 'rich white dudes'.
>>
>>7609078

Obviously you leverage the sjw rage and make it cool. You could try to attract the meme hipster mgtows with their beards and philosophy books. Controversy can only be good until lawsuits start flying even then you could still do your best to make it hostile towards cunts once they litigate their way in.
>>
>>7608733
>talking about cooking when our discussion is limited to eating

anon, absolutely burnt to a
C R I S P
R
I
S
P
>>
>>7609010
>2 McDoubles ~$5
>2 McChickens ~$5
>twice a day
$10 per day
>50 a week
>Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
7 days
>7x10=70
$70 a week
>>
I never went to college to be fair but I don't understand why you need a cafeteria. Aren't you old enough to make your own food by the time you go to college? Sounds like some bullshit to pry more money from parents and students.
>>
>>7609327
It's for dorm students who live on campus. They don't have kitchens and many don't have cars to go out to eat. So you get a meal plan and eat all your food from the cafeteria. There are also fast food places on campus that can be used on the plan. I was allowed 3 cafeteria meals a day and had something like $150 in good boy bucks per semester I could use at the on campus chik fil a, burger king, and other chains.
>>
>>7609363
I did this in Uni or rather my parents paid for it... Mine only provided breakfast and lunch though so I would get a bread roll, butter, milk, fruit, cake with dinner and take them home for dinner or sometimes get takeaway.
>>
>>7609411
with lunch* and take it home for dinner.
>>
>>7609411
>takeaway
>uni
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
Why did faggot mod delete the OP pic?
>>
>>7608328
>>7608753
>>7608706
Car anon here, been living the homeless life for a bit over a month now and low income for years. Under $50/week is easily done and you can eat very well on it. It's all about bulk purchasing and good planning.

Do you have a meager income and some cookery skills? Buy bulk rice for your staple, I prefer imported Japanese rice, and pair it with some local, seasonal vegetables that are fresh from a farmer's market. The meat gets a bit tricky, but if you split a cow/goat/whatever with someone and freeze it you could easily eat on way less than $50/week if you plan your meals well. Dried beans can be used to stretch things out if need be.

Eggs and that sort of thing can be done easily as well if you want that. Grab some scrap wood (side of the road, maybe some bad stock at a lumber yard, craigslist), 250/500/1000/1500 sandpaper, some stain (you can make it yourself with walnut husks/whatever else), and then some recycled or new chicken wire; make it into an enclosure for the chickens, tons of plans can be found online. Buy some chicks for a reasonable price (craigslist again), and then you're set for quite awhile. If you get a rooster, be sure to keep it in line.

If you're extremely low on funds and can't see yourself as having any skills, plan your meals around peanut butter, tofu, and whatever bulk rice you can find locally. Peanut butter is absolutely amazing in terms of nutrition/protein content, and the tofu is very, very versatile in terms of what flavours/textures you can apply to it. Get beans as well; brown, black, kidney, and chickpeas. You can make black bean patties for faux burgers easily, can do just about anything with the other beans. All you'd need here is either a slow cooker or a pot that can go on top of some sort of [portable] range for the beans, a surface to manipulate the beans and tofu later, and maybe a pan/hot surface that you can sear the tofu on if you want it that way.
>>
>>7608870
The grilled cheese sandwich is perfect hangover food.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.