[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vomit Soap Plant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6
File: cilantro.jpg (50 KB, 1044x783) Image search: [Google]
cilantro.jpg
50 KB, 1044x783
Why do so many people ruin their dishes with this shit?

Such a huge amount of people (at least most people I know) hate it, yet every time I watch a cooking show I see people put it on everything.

Even restaurants around where I live rarely have cilantro in their dishes because they know most people don't like it. Just mexican restaurants, even then, i constantly hear people ask to leave it out.

Why the fuck does everyone on television and youtube throw this into everything? Is it just the area I'm from and the rest of the world doesn't think cilantro tastes like shit?
>>
>>7608278
>Is it just the area I'm from and the rest of the world doesn't think cilantro tastes like shit?
Pretty much
>>
>>7608278

Apparently some people have a genetic variation that makes cilantro taste like soap to them.

Personally, I like it. But that being said it is easy to overdo it and add too much.
>>
oh look, it's another faggot who thinks the world should cater to his genetic deficiencies.
>>
>>7608278

F L Y O V E R
L
Y
O
V
E
R
>>
>>7608333
I'm not asking anyone to.

I'm asking why it's fucking everywhere.

When you watch cooking shows, they put it on everything, even places it doesn't really belong. I remember watching episodes of Emeril when i was a kid, and every dish he made, he just threw the shit in it "BAM BAM BAM!" and the whole audience is all "oooooh, aahhh", like they're having orgasms. 10% of the human population genetically can't stand this shit, I don't know why it's overused so much.

Not even other herbs, ones that almost no one dislikes, are used like that. You never see these chefs putting basil on everything. They just use it when it's called for.

Television and youtube chefs use cilantro more often than italian chefs use garlic. And almost everyone loves garlic.

I'm just asking what makes people like it, when they themselves admit it kind of tastes like soap. And why people use it so often when 10% of people watching the show not only hate it, but don't even have a choice but to hate it because of genetics.
>>
>>7608504
Everyone else loves it. Only genetic freaks like you think it tastes bad. This is like an autismic complaining about why so many people insist on having empathy.
>>
STOPLIKINGWHATIDONTLIKE - the thread
>>
Because it goes well with pretty much everything
>>
>>7608278
Meme plant
>>
>>7608278
I feel the same way about Mayo and Ranch.
>>
>>7608278
what do you even call the taste of coriander? I can't really describe it. I put a generous amount of it in falafel and it adds that distinct note that truly completes the dish.
>>
>>7608278
>Is it just the area I'm from and the rest of the world doesn't think cilantro tastes like shit?

yes
>>
>>7608504
The same reason parsley and pepper is everywhere. Most people really like it.
>>
I know people who think it gets overused sometimes, but don't know anyone that actually hates it, or has ever requested to have it left out of a dish.
>>
>>7608333
>able to taste a chemical compound other can't
>deficiency
are people who can detect cyanide by smell deficient too? nah, the ones who can't smell the deadly poison clearly have the better gig.
>>
>>7608504
>I'm asking why it's fucking everywhere.
>When you watch cooking shows, they put it on everything,

I disagree. I watch a lot of cooking shows and I only see it when it's typical for the type of food being prepared: either Mexican/Central American & related (Southwestern US, etc.), and in Southeast Asian cuisine. I sometimes see it subbed for culantro in Spanish cooking.

But I've never seen it on cooking shows featuring Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian, etc. I think it's not as prevalent as you think it is--either that or you're watching a ton of Southwestern & SEA to the exclusion of all else.
>>
>>7608504
>even places it doesn't really belong

I challenge you to give me one example of Emeril adding cilantro to a dish for no reason. I will be happy to accept multiple examples, but only one is necessary.
>>
>>7608742

It becomes a "deficiency" when it causes you to hate something that isn't toxic at all.
>>
Are people such children they can't deal with the taste? I've been eating it all my life (spic side of the family) and even though it's not my favorite, it isn't so bad that I need to ask the chef to omit it. Goddamn so many pansies on this board I swear
>>
>>7608759
It's not a matter of being picky, its one of the only things to do with taste preference that is actually due to genetics. 10% of humans actually taste soap when the eat it because they can taste a certain chemical in it that the other 90% can't.
>>
File: 103NIKON65_thumb-634x336.jpg (106 KB, 630x336) Image search: [Google]
103NIKON65_thumb-634x336.jpg
106 KB, 630x336
>>7608716
Hey, good idea
Will try it next time I make falafels
>>
>>7608754
not my fault the plant is poorly designed
>>
>>7608951
>not my fault my genes are poorly designed
ftfy
>>
Is this a cilantro love thread?

I load pico de gallo up with this stuff.

Love the way it feels around all the wet veggies and the herbal kick it throws out there.
>>
>>7608951

Nobody said it was your fault, anon. But it still is your deficiency.
>>
Salsa is not salsa without cilantro I don't give a fuck what you say

Also nice b8 OP
>>
Potatoes+cilantro+mayo is best potato salad
>>
>>7608278
Just use little on some dishes so you'll get used to the taste
I wasn't a big fan but I kept using it and I like it now
Throw some in guac, really works wonderfully there especially
>>
>>7608278
>>7608504
Relax stupid, you just have a genetic defect that makes you think it tastes like soap. It affects mostly females so maybe you're a effeminate faggot.

But if you want to see what all the hype is all about try out Culantro. Culantro is just like cilantro but doesn't have the compounds that triggers your genetic defects into thinking it's soap. By the way some soaps taste fucking delicious.
>>
>>7608283
>Apparently some people have a genetic variation that makes cilantro taste like soap to them.
Yeah, it's something like 1% of the population has it, yet my mom, dad, sister and I all have it.

Almost died having dinner at my friend's when I stopped eating the soup his dad made because it was full of cilantro, yet he insisted there was none.
>>
It's a key component of pho, which I really like.
>>
File: m8.png (49 KB, 346x341) Image search: [Google]
m8.png
49 KB, 346x341
I used to think I liked coriander because I'd only had it in small quantities in foods where other flavours were more dominant and so didn't really pick up on it.

Then one day I ordered coriander & chilli chicken from a Chinese place......

It would've been cheaper just to drink a bottle of liquid soap. Fortunately, the coriander was in big sprigs so I could eat around it, but I learned my lesson that day.
>>
>>7609058
Do you come from an inbred family? Maybe that's why the genetic defect is affecting all of you.

It doesn't taste like soap, it's delicious and it's the reason it's prominent in some of the best world cuisines, not just Mexican.
>>
>>7609119
>It doesn't taste like soap
Yes it does and it will never not taste like it unless I get a tongue transplant you dipshit.
>>
>>7608278
only a small percent of the world's population has that unfortunate genetic disposition.

git gud.
>>
>>7609116
>coriander
>sprigs
choose one
>>
>>7609121
Ok you special deformed snowflake, then just don't eat it and quit whining about it. If you don't want to further curse your family I suggest you quit fucking your sister. Do humanity and cooking a favor and never reproduce, spare the world your defected genetics and let us enjoy cilantro.
>>
>>7608278
It means you are untermensch desu senpai
>>
>>7609058
It's hereditary.

Congratulations, your children will also inherit your defective taste buds.
>>
>>7609135
>projecting this hard over fucking leaves
>>
I don't have the gross soap thing, but I still think cilantro is shit

It's like the laziest herb there is. They only put it on stuff because it's flavorful, but it's not like the flavor is particularly good
>>
File: 1396623407289.jpg (43 KB, 665x385) Image search: [Google]
1396623407289.jpg
43 KB, 665x385
Just because of this thread, I went outside and picked some fresh cilantro leaves from the garden, and then grabbed some dried leaves of a different variation of cilantro from the garden last year.

And then I chewed them up, and they were both good. Suck it OP you fat fuck.
>>
>>7609139

I can eat cilantro just fine and I don't think it really limits a person's diet that much not to be able to eat it.

Still, good luck enjoying Southeast Asian cuisine because they pile that shit on in a lot of dishes.

I can't imagine not being able to have pho the way it was meant to taste. It's honestly like ramen on steroids, very delicious.
>>
>>7608742

ayy lmao the faggot that cant taste cilantro is getting buttmad
>>
Cilantro is starting to grow on me.

It used to taste like soap and ruined every dish that even had trace amounts of it.

But it's growing on me. It's come to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore, and even adds to some food like Indian.

So whether this whole "le genes" thing is true or not, I think anyone can learn to like cilantro with enough exposure to it.

However, cilantro should be kept optional in dishes because of how potentially offensive it is to the senses of a very vocal minority.
>>
It doesn't taste like soap to me, but it is really bitter and tends to overpower anything that's on it or in it.
>>
Cilantro is sex. Mouth gasm. Period. That's why
>>
>>7609211
I can taste it, you're the one who cant taste it
>>
>>7609231

That's why dishes that use it often tend to have very heavy, rich flavors to go along with it.

You're making a big mistake if you put cilantro on a light dish. It will quickly overpower it until all you taste is cilantro.
>>
>>7608278
tastes good to me because im a beaner
>>
http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.2096

It's one gene which makes you slightly more sensitive to a handful of molecules that make up part of coriander's taste, and there are plenty of people with the gene that also like coriander. It's not like a genetic on off switch, it's still primarily just a matter of personal preference and acquired taste.
>>
>>7608283
>>7608333
>>7608504
>>7608511
>>7608754
>>7608767
>>7609025
>>7609058
>>7609119
>>7609121
>>7609122
>>7609135
>>7609139
Stop with this fucking genetics bullshit. It's just an acquired taste like every other food you're not used to.
>>7609223
>>7609293
Finally some common sense in this cringeworthy thread.
>>
You need to use it in a small dose first. I hate the pure coriander leaf taste. But i dig it if i use some in a dish. It´s just awful to aquire where I live. Gonna plant some on my balcony.
Nobody I know uses it and i dont watch cooking shows (living in germany)
>>
File: 1429134960078.gif (2 MB, 400x372) Image search: [Google]
1429134960078.gif
2 MB, 400x372
>>7609234
reddit: the posting style
>>
>>7608278
I can taste the soapyness in cilantro, but I eat it anyway because I enjoy the flavor.
>>
I like cilantro, but a lot of people use WAY too much. It's supposed to compliment the other flavors, and people overpower them instead.
>>
>>7610741
Except it's actually for real a genetic defect, you are physically unable to smell the plant and therefore the taste is off.
>>
For some reason, I can eat it when it's cooked in soups or sauces to where the leaf itself becomes soft and the flavor is mostly dissolved into what you cooked it in.

But completely raw? Hell no. I tried eating a couple leaves just for the hell of it and nearly threw up. After that, whenever I taste raw cilantro in any dish I can't help but gag. Cooking it thoroughly relieves some of the soapy flavor, at least in my experience.
>>
What does Cilantro taste like to you guys?
I don't get soapy vibes but it kind of tastes like cricket to me.
>>
>>7611137
honestly, to me it tastes like any other herb, just with a hint of soap and stomach acid
>>
>>7611137
It tastes citrusy, without the acidity or bitterness of citrus.
>>
>>7610741
>Stop with this fucking genetics bullshit

Facts are a liberal conspiracy against you, anon.

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/560/art%253A10.1186%252F2044-7248-1-22.pdf?originUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fflavourjournal.biomedcentral.com%2Farticle%2F10.1186%2F2044-7248-1-22&token2=exp=1461678005~acl=%2Fstatic%2Fpdf%2F560%2Fart%25253A10.1186%25252F2044-7248-1-22.pdf*~hmac=8c3f1cf47422e89083289b3f8477854ca73a067b2f4f549e794d3f52243c0b27
>>
I've eaten cilantro in foods my whole life. It never stopped overpowering everything with its nauseating foamy taste. Fuck all of you.
>>
>>7608278
I dunno, why do people even eat tarragon? Shits nasty
>>
I really wish Chipotle kept a tray of cilantro-free rice. There's four times as many cilantro-haters in the US than there are vegetarians, yet Chipotle sees fit to offer sofritas to cater to vegetarians. Just replace the sofritas tray with cilantro-free rice and bam, you're instantly satisfying way more of your customers.
>>
>>7608278
>degenerate mutant
>tells us we have poor taste

whatever, bruh
>>
>>7611113
This.

Cooked it's ok, but raw and even a trace of it will make me spit food out like a little kid. Soap isn't a good description of how bad it tastes. It tastes like pure poison to me. Soap mixed with battery acid and mexican leprosy pus is more accurate.
>>
>>7611624
I don't understand that either. They put that shit in everything. I wouldn't doubt that was also the culprit making so many people sick. Sub human mexicans shitting in whatever god forsaken fields they grow that weed in. Fuck you chipolte
>>
>>7611137
It used to taste like soap to me but just like any acquired taste I learned to like it and now it tastes like this anon said >>7611180 plus a bit grassy.
>>
>>7608278
Gotta deep fry it for you burger. Cilantro is love. t. Ukrainian
>>
You know I used to fucking hate Cilantro, but now I really enjoy it in a lot of dishes. Don't know what changed, but I heard that your taste buds become desensitized to certain bitter tastes as you get older.
>>
>>7611624
this is actually the reason I don't go there. I love a burrito assembly line, but I can't eat their rice
>>
File: 1459380082278.gif (2 MB, 286x210) Image search: [Google]
1459380082278.gif
2 MB, 286x210
>>7610741

>has been scientifically proven
>calls it bullshit

Keep living under that rock, kid.
>>
>>7608278
Often, it's the result of the "add cilantro and lime juice to it and it will be an authentic Mexican dish"-meme, which spread over to some other cuisines or perceptions of it. I personally like it, especially in guacamole, but I can understand how the taste wouldn't appeal to everyone. Just be thankful you don't dislike basil, too. That shit is piled on everything with tomato in it, for "le authentic Italian taste". I like it, but sometimes it's overdone.
>>
I can't tell if I like cilantro or not

Sometimes it's fine and other times it almost ruins the dish/taco for me.

Related question, I was in Ecuador two years ago and the food was delicious, except some of the dishes had something in them that tasted really bad, and I couldn't figure out what it was. It think it was these things that looked like onions but weren't actually onions. Does anyone know what that is?
>>
>>7608700
I hate mayo, except in tuna and egg salad

It just tastes rotten to me
>>
I've had cilantro taste like dish soap before, and I've had it not taste like dish soap before. I don't know what's what.
>>
>>7609223
Same thing here. My dad would make lots of fresh salsa with cilantro and I always thought it tasted soapy. A few years later now, I'm fine with how it tastes.
>>
i like parsley and cilantro they fit my meals very well thank u
>>
>>7612080
>scientifically proven
You don't know shit about science, you've just heard other people say it's scientifically proven and now you say it as well. Fuck off.
>>
>>7610758
>I can taste the soapyness
>I enjoy the flavor.

Do you enjoy the flavor of soap anon?
>>
i have a huge cilantro plant in my flat

my rabbit and i eat that shit up like candy

the dog can go fuck himself
>>
>>7615913
aww yeah me and my rabbit all bout dat cilantro life too namean
and watercress we fuck up some watercress
>>
It's not even that strong of a flavor, the fuck you fags on about?
>>
>>7608504
Well, for one, 10% is a small number. It's like if out of ten people at a party only one is vegan, but that means that the other nine have to cancel a pizza order and eat quinoa. Fuck catering to minorities.
Then you have to step back and realize that it's not nearly as common as you think. It's sort of rare to see it used like you're describing, so it's a bit of a luxury to some people. I wish we could trade places, it sounds like you live near some nice restaurants. I'd gladly trade.
>>
>>7613891

And you do know shit about science? How about you and your shit genetics go fuck off and die.
>>
how come seeds have an ok taste/aroma but the leaves taste weird?
>>
>>7608278
Sorry you can't taste one of the most delicious herbs known to man
>>
>>7616106
You haven't even read the report you fucking weasel.
>>
>>7615877
Yes. I used to drink cod liver oil as a child because I unironically enjoyed the flavor too.
>>
Cilantro>>>>>>>>parsley
>>
Why are all American retarded rednecks that only eat things that their alcoholic moms force-fed them during their childhood (burgers, mac'n'cheese, cigarettes)?
>>
>>7608278
Cause you are probably a genetic abomination if you dont like it, deal with it op.
>>
>>7608278
I see you have the genetic defect that makes cilantro taste bad. Sucks to be you.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.