[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw your dad thinks this is fine dining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (404 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
image.png
404 KB, 500x441
>tfw your dad thinks this is fine dining
>>
*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps?
Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to.
Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.

See you on the boards...
>>
>>7554752
Their fries are the best in town. Other than that it's pretty mediocre.
>>
>be me
>grow up poor, family doesn't have many luxuries at all
>on my birthday my parents would take me to johnny rockets
>wasn't the best restaurant in town but still had a really good time there
>get married, have a son
>work really hard so my wife and son can have the luxuries I didn't have growing up
>be today
>decide to take the family out for lunch at johnny rockets for old times sake
>spoiled little shit keeps whining about "muh haute cuisine" and about how I have a "pleb tier palate"
where did I go wrong guys?
>>
>>7554795
>where did I go wrong guys?
you had a kid
>>
>>7554795
You got married
>>
>>7554752

Honestly, it's worse to have family that thinks this is fine dining.
>>
>>7554795

You wanted to be nice by giving him the luxuries you never had, but by not having those luxuries yourself you were able to have a different perspective on life. You probably learned a lot of character from the way you had to grow up. People today have no sense of being humble.
>>
>>7554915
>You probably learned a lot of character
This is what poor people say as a consolation for not growing up with any luxuries. It's grasping at straws, just like ugly people say it's shallow to judge people on appearance. It changes nothing, but makes them feel better.
>People today have no sense of being humble.
Only those really beat down by life see humility as a virtue. The rest of us value things like ambition, accomplishment, skill and style - generally the areas humble people come up short in.
>>
>>7554939
Now that's edgy
>>
OP, when I'm at the mall I rather go to JR than to some place like McDonalds with my wife and wife's son.
>>
>>7554956
It's true though. I see it in my own family. Mom grew up poor, dad grew up with money. Mom is humble, dad is not. Dad was the CFO of a major corporation at the peak of his career arc, and his brother was an executive as well. Both have been around the world, and have decent taste in food and wine. Mom's brothers led modest lives, never traveled. Good for them making it into the middle class by a nose, but neither they nor their kids developed anything resembling good taste. Their kids are not the cousins I meet at Balthazar for breakfast - they're the ones who think it's a big deal to go to the Cheesecake factory.

I know both worlds, and the less humble one is much fucking better.
>>
>>7554968
It's all subjective m8 you think it's better because you're a selfish and egotistical cunt but someone who isn't would probably disagree
>>
my friends dad used to always take us there

just last week he got arrested for pimping out tranny hookers
>>
>>7554752
>>7554939
>>7554968
>>7554901
Right now some rich faggot from Monaco just spent €15,000 on lunch and he probably has a very poor opinion of what you consider 'good food'.

Elitist people are scum and their behavior is revolting. Jesus was right to say the meek shall inherit the earth.
>>
>>7555002
>you're a selfish and egotistical cunt
I'm not, though. When I go out with the cousins on mom's side I usually pick up the bill, or at least offer to, because I know they're acutely aware of the prices since they don't have much money. I have more, so I don't mind being generous with it.

I just don't see any value to humility. All too often that translates into accepting your lots in life, which sells any ambition you may have short. The cousins on dad's side are no smarter than the ones on mom's, but they're much more ambitious, wealthy and live in much bigger worlds with better things to eat and drink. I got to look at both worlds growing up, and choosing between them was a no-brainer. A life that wasn't much more than a mediocre job during the day, then coming home to lousy food and television while you get fatter and fatter didn't look very good to me. Luckily I was raised to see that there were other options if you were willing to take some risks and set your sights higher.

Part of that was rejecting the idea that being humble is some kind of virtue. That's poor people thinking. If you thing like a poor person you will probably end up poor.
>>
>>7554795
>where did I go wrong guys?
here:
>work really hard so my wife and son can have the luxuries I didn't have growing up
you spoiled the little shit, now you reap what you sowed
>>
>>7555039
maybe selfish was the wrong word, shallow is probably more correct. why are you so obsessed with money? do you think you will achieve happiness if you collect enough money? what makes ambition and wealth better virtues than humility?
>>
>>7555039
Yes, you are.
>>
>>7555039
Trust funder here, you honestly just sound like a cunt. Only egotistical dickwads flaunt their money because they lack an actual personality. You know why gaudy twats buy Gucci hand bags or wallets, even though they're driving a Ford? They want you to think they're something. When you're rich, you don't need to brag about it. Being humble is a sign of maturity, something you clearly lack.
>>
>>7555061
I'll accept "shallow" because, as I stated earlier that's what ugly people call those who judge others based on looks (which is everyone). And I'm anything but obsessed with money. I could easily have made different decisions that would have made me very wealthy, but I didn't want my quality of life undermined by what that would have entailed. I just wanted to make sure I made enough to afford the cost of things that are important to me, like food, wine, travel and living in a place I like.

And I'm very happy.

Wealth is not a virtue, it's just required for many things you might want to do. Ambition is very useful if you want to accomplish things in your life. Makes it far more of a virtue than humility, which accomplishes what? The only reason to encourage humility as a value would be if you're the leader of lots of poor people, and you want to keep them in line. It's held up as a virtue in Christianity and Confucianism - both of which were used by governments to keep the rabble in line. It's very useful for that.
>>
>>7555081
I'm nowhere near rich - not even close to the top 2%. Getting rich was never my goal. Just doing well enough to not be poor or lower middle is success for me.
>>
>>7555091
>I'm anything but obsessed with money
then why do you feel the need to keep mentioning how much money you have? and why do you call humility "poor people thinking?" it's as if you think money is one of the defining characteristics of a person - like I said, obsession. I can see why humility would not be a virtue for you, since it appears your only ambition is to lead a vapid and hedonistic lifestyle. those of us who can see beyond that think differently.
>>
>>7555091
>both of which were used by governments to keep the rabble in line
I'm starting to suspect you aren't who you say you are. I had the same worldview when I was an edgy teenager too.
>>
>>7555039
I think you misunderstand want humility is. But at the same time some of your statements hold truth
>>
>>7555109
Nowhere in this thread have I mentioned how much money I have. (Truth is I don't have all that much). What I have come out against is accepting a set of values that keeps people down, humility being a great example of one in particular. Being humble means being satisfied with humble things. If I were Amish I'd be humble, because their humble things are pretty fucking great. But I'm not. In my world humble things are chain restaurants and Walmart. I don't want any part of either.
>vapid and hedonistic lifestyle
Not quite. I have worked hard and accomplished many things I'm very proud of. I just made it a point to enjoy myself while doing so.

And I don't think money is a defining characteristic of a person. But taste and culture are, and those do have a cost of entry.
>>
>>7555117
I'm well into middle age, but I've been a creative my whole life, so I've never really had to "grow up".
>>
>>7555158
No, being "a creative" doesn't prevent you from growing up. You're just underage.
>>
>>7554774
What shitty fries do you have in your town?
>>
>>7555148
you mentioned it here >>7555039
and as the other anon said, I don't think you know what humility means if you think things can be humble, and that being humble means being satisfied with these so called "humble things." you say that you don't think money is a defining characteristic of a person but all of your posts are saying poor people this, and rich people that. you can deny it all you want but that doesn't make it false.
>>
I thought being humble meant not being a show offy bragart ass about being better than other people. Like, it's okay to have ambition and be the best and smartest and prettiest, but don't shit other people for not living life the way you choose to do.

Though what do I know. I still judge people that eat at cheese cake factory.
>>
>>7555173
Things can indeed be humble. Ever hear the expression "a humble abode". And the definition of humility is "a modest or low value of one's own importance." Not very useful stuff for someone who is ambitious and wants to achieve something big, or even interesting with their life.

As for money I was saying one side of my family is concerned with small sums of money in a way the other side isn't. If you had the choice to set your life up so you were sweating over a couple hundred bucks here and there or not which would you pick?
>>
>>7555198
where are you getting this idea that being humble and having nice things are mutually exclusive? humility, like you said, is being modest and not inflating ones own self worth, why do you think this mindset prevents someone from achieving things?

also you're the one who brought up "poor people thinking" when it had literally no relevance to the topic at hand >>7554939 you're definitely obsessed with money.
>>
>>7555224
>you're the one who brought up "poor people thinking" when it had literally no relevance to the topic at hand
It is the topic at hand. Look at OP here >>7554752
>>
>>7555235
don't be facetious, your post was in response to somebody talking about humility with no mention of wealth at all
>>
File: five-guys-burgers-fries.0.0[1].jpg (63 KB, 825x393) Image search: [Google]
five-guys-burgers-fries.0.0[1].jpg
63 KB, 825x393
How about the mongoloids who think that this place is a "fine burger restaurant" and that "its quality and flavor is as good as restaurant style burgers"
>>
>>7555286
>no mention of wealth at all
A response saying how growing up without being able to afford much if anything in the way of luxuries was probably "character building" is mostly linking wealth and humility. He was more or less linking a lack of wealth with development of a sense of humility. I was just taking it a step further by saying a sense of humility can perpetuate a lack of wealth across generations.

The mechanism of this is the following: In order to be ambitious you have to believe you're capable of achieving great things. Someone with a low or moderate sense of their own importance (humility) is far less likely to believe this than someone unburdened by it. A poor person drilling a sense of humility into their children is robbing them of the primary tool they need to climb out of poverty - the self-assurance required to attempt doing something more ambitious with their lives in the first place.
>>
>>7555323
your assumption that only pompous individuals believe in themselves is false, so your argument is void. I'm confused as to where you even came up with that idea; is it a coping mechanism for your inflated view of your own self worth?
>>
>less humble

read: less poor

of course expensive things are better, but there are people who have money who are also humble and don't hold it over other people's heads.

It's all worthless when you're dead anyway, so fuck off asshole.
>>
>>7555081
I'm in the top 1% and buy my clothes from goodwill and drive a Blazer w/ no A/C....
>>
>>7555350
That's not what I said. My point is that if you don't think you're important you're less likely to be ambitious. Being pompous and arrogant me be distasteful, but holding humility up as a virtue can be self-defeating.
>>
>>7555381
so what you're saying is a person should lack humility, but also not be pompous? again, do you actually understand what humility is?
>>
>>7555386
I'm saying the poor side of my family puts much more stock in the value of humility than the wealthier side. You want poor people picking your stocks or rich ones? When you get to choose which values you embrace or reject why choose ones that seem self-defeating? I don't get it.
>>
>>7555498
>one poor family values humility so all of them do
>one rich family doesn't so all of them don't
anecdotal evidence
>>
>>7555501
I do kind of look at the world that way, though. Like when I look at a restaurant I look at the customers and think, "Well, that's what people who eat there look like." Kind of guides my decision of whether or not I eat there. Do I look like those people or not? Do I want to? I believe the company you keep has a lot to do with your success. Networking matters. At least it does in my life. Every advancement in my career has been the result of getting a call from someone more successful than me who had heard good things about me from someone else I'd worked with. But it's not all prancing around trying to look "successful". Personally I'm known as a "dirty fingernails" guy who sees to it projects get finished. A closer. So I'm rarely wearing designer anything or hitting the most expensive restaurants. But I'm sure as fuck not eating at chain places, I'm sure as fuck not adopting the values of my poor relations and I'm putting myself across as a man of importance, because I want to be payed like such a man.

And so far I've been lucky enough on that last front.
>>
>>7554752
>the original hamburger

How can they just lie like that? It's not even the internet.
>>
>>7555594
tl;dr
>>
>>7555619
kek, fair enough
>>
File: 1396541020672.png (2 MB, 1024x1020) Image search: [Google]
1396541020672.png
2 MB, 1024x1020
>>7554752

I had my first date here.

:')
>>
>>7554752
They do have a pretty good burger for a chain restaurant.
>>
>>7555198
Let's not forget how amazing the PC Humble Bundle game bundles are
>>
>>7554795
this is really upsetting
>>
>>7554901
For many families it is.

There is nothing inherently wrong with Ruth's Chris. I've eaten there several times in my life and was never disappointed. In fact, they had the best asparagus I've ever eaten in a restaurant.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.