[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else a recovering picky eater? I'm eating an avocado
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Avocado-Recipes.jpg (120 KB, 935x935) Image search: [Google]
Avocado-Recipes.jpg
120 KB, 935x935
Anyone else a recovering picky eater?

I'm eating an avocado for the first time right now.
>>
Remember to salt it otherwise it won't taste too good
>>
Avocado is a really bad food to try to eat just on its own.
>>
>>7599695

...says the fellow who has never eaten a good avocado. I don't blame you though. Most people don't live with a tree in their yard
>>
Had a really small amount.

Didn't taste like anything yet.
>>
>>7599689
Not a picky eater, but the son of one. Mom didn't decide eggplant was worth trying until she was in her 60's. Funny as fuck that she loves it now and cooks it well.
>>
>>7599698
i keep every avocado seed and plant it
i have...like 10 little trees growing, but the shame is, that they most propably wont even bloom over here
>>
>>7599845
sounds cute. do you have any pictures?
>>
it has a taste i didn't expect

it's like spicy but without the hot

mushy

I don't love it, but it's okay

today went well.
>>
>>7599922
>avocado
>spicy
>>
>>7599930
it's not spicy, it's hard to describe

it's like what spicy would tastes like if there wasn't heat in spicy
>>
>>7599943
you are terrible at explaining things
>>
>>7599943
It's like buttery grass
>>
>>7599922
Try it with sugar or as a avocado, papaya and banana smoothie
>>
>>7599943
Austic taste buds. Only possible on 4chan
>>
>>7599943
"heat" is piquancy, not spicyness.
It's not even a taste, it's a separate sensation.
>>
>>7599922
why

do

you

this

you

retard
>>
>>7599945
Perfect description

Nice nuttyness to it too in some kinds, veggie butter is a good description too

Sometimes I can get a little tininess from the copper
>>
File: not-bald-varys_o_1449187.jpg (53 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
not-bald-varys_o_1449187.jpg
53 KB, 500x362
>>7599945
it literally tastes like an unsweetened and non-citrusy kiwi fruit.

me and my sister bother agreed on this so it's fucking settled.

enough of this buttered grass bull shit. grass is fucking disgusting.

>>7600394
because everything ever written is a song lyric at some point if the multiverse is real

stupid, uncultured swine.
>>
Yeah, I was a picky eater as a kid because I have a severe nut allergy (tree nuts/peanuts, so no peanut oil, no byproducts, and it's a severe allergy so anything even made in the same factory/processed with stuff that has nuts is a no go), so I had to be really picky as a kid, and unfortunately my parents weren't really the healthiest people so I grew up with mostly fast food.

As I got older I tried cooking for myself but we were pretty poor and couldn't afford nice stuff, or rather, I couldn't convince my mom to give me $20 we would have spent on a single meal at mcdonalds to let me get real groceries to last us a couple days, so I just got complacent with eating fast food, pizza, and toast. no pb&j naturally so I pretty much just ate toast, no butter.

When I turned 18 I couldn't find a job and didn't meet requirements for food stamps so I went around scavenging stuff which is about a billion times harder with an allergy, which is fucking lame, but I did manage to make it out alright. Only had one incident in which I had to go to the ER because after buying some berries from the supermarket, apparently they'd been cross-contaminated from either someone "sampling" (which is fine, I did it too sometimes) or lack of proper cleaning on my part.

Anyway I found a job and started cooking, more out of necessity than anything else, and while i'm still picky (lots of bread, lots of rice, not much other stuff) i'm working on branching out, i've eaten actual, real, home-cooked meat for the first time ever a few weeks ago, and it was delicious. It was chicken so maybe not traditional red meat most people consider "real meat". Working with spices is hard (many don't contain proper ingredient listings/warnings of cross contamination), and i'm still really paranoid about fresh produce, but i'm slowly overcoming it. /ck/ is actually really helpful in that regard, tons of good stuff to cook, specially in verticals, they're very loose and allow room for change.
>>
>>7599689
>Teriyaki place near my old house used to slice half an avocado across your plate
>Avocado fad hit
>They charge for it now

Motherfuckers. That place is still delicious though. I literally live 100 miles away now. Whenever I go back I stop by.
>>
>>7600904
>nut allergy
Epipen exists for this very reason (they also have a finite shelf life so might as well use them)
now get out there and try new things
>>
>>7600915
My allergy is severe to a point where my throat swells and shuts within 30 seconds of contact with a nut-containing product. If it were just hives, believe me, I would barrel through it and just deal.

And epipens are expensive, almost $80 per 2pack on my insurance, and they're meant for emergency uses, while I wait for emergency services. And considering i'm in a shitty part of a shitty down, i'd probably end up dead before paramedics got to my apartment, even with an epipen. They're really not that strong. I'm waiting on FDA approval and final testing of a medication that reduces the impact of allergens on people with allergies. I was part of the market test a long long time ago (almost 8 years now) and it worked really well, I was able to eat a kitkat which have for almost 15 years now been changed to a singular production line that contain nut products. No reaction, just a couple hives.

My biggest concern for the moment is finding ingredients to replace nuts and nut products, like almond butter and paste, for things i'd like to cook and try. And protein-rich snacks would be nice too. But I use powders for that. Some food that's different than what i've been eating for the better part of a decade would be awesome.
>>
>>7599689
I'm still slightly picky. I know what I DON'T like, but I'm trying new things when I can in order to broaden my knowledge of what I DO like. It surprises me sometimes, especially when it's stuff I used to hate.
>>
Up until about 5 years ago I didn't eat mushrooms, peppers or egg. Even now I can only eat onion if it's chopped up very small and cooked to the point where it isn't crunchy.
>>
I used to only eat plain fast food burgers because my mom didn't know how to say no. Sometime in my teens I became more adventurous and started to get vegetables and stuff in my meals. Now I'm pretty much normal, but there are a lot of things I still have to try.

My brother is the same way as I used to be except he doesn't eat meat, so my mom has to get him shakes and fries every day.
>>
>>7599922
....are you aright
>>
i have a friend who wouldn't eat fried onions because of the texture.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.