[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats is everyone making tonight? I will attempt to make pho
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: 1424773171585.jpg (177 KB, 479x640) Image search: [Google]
1424773171585.jpg
177 KB, 479x640
Whats is everyone making tonight?
I will attempt to make pho ga, but the lazy way. Pic unrelated, will have actual pictures when I have more progress
>>
using
>chicken stock
>chicken breast
>coriander
>star anise
>black pepper
>cloves
>dried lime peel
>a yellow onion
>ginger
>fish sauce
the next section is stuff you add right before serving
>yellow chili peppers
>mint leaves
>rice vermicelli
>bean sprouts
>green onions
>siracha sauce
>hoisin sauce
>>
wtf is a yellow onion
>>
>>7599552
An onion which is yellow.
>>
>>7599552
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_onion
basically the best onion to use in most (not all) situations where you will be cooking the onion, also the cheapest
>>
I made a mango chutney glazed pork loin with cilantro and preserved lemon gremolata
>>
>>7599569
>mistaking which for that
Embarrassing.
>>
>>7599531
ok, so, I peeled the onion and the ginger, cut the onion in half, partially cut both of them and then charred them over the gas burner, put all the spices in a pan and heated them (not to the point of charring), dumped all that, the fish sauce, and the chicken stock along with like a cup and a half of water into a pot, brought it to a boil, added the chicken, lowered the heat, removed the chicken after 15 minutes, it is cooling now, left everything else on low for an hour (still on the stove)

>>7599606
that sounds delicious, how is it?
>>
>>7599614
>being an insufferable pedant on 4chan
Embarrassing.
>>
I made pho ga a while back, did everything you should used a bunch of bones, charred the ginger and onion, let it cook for 2 hours but the soup was really bland, could barely taste the chicken or spices.

Any tips besides just dumping a shitload of MSG?
>>
>>7599632

I pureed some fresh pineapple and let the cutlets marinate in it for a couple of hours to tenderize. Gave it a nice char on a hot grill and glazed it. The preserved lemon and fresh garlic in the gremolata added enough salt, acidity and savory to balance the amount of sugar in the glaze. Overall I'm quite pleased with it.
>>
>>7599650
nope, this is my second attempt at making it, the first was trying to do it the traditional way (bones, skimming it for 2 hours, bleh) and I ran into the same problem. Find a Vietnamese person and make them tell you their secrets.
>>
File: IMG_20160422_180152.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160422_180152.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>7599606
Ayyy

I made mango chutney baked salmon with fried fingerling potatoes and seared oyster mushrooms, yum-yum

Also a picked cabbage salad with black kale and cherry tomatoes not pictured
>>
>>7599716
>>7599606
made me hungry, u fuckers
>>
I had leftovers from last weekend. A sandwich and some soggy-ass fries. And water. And sat in my living room wearing nothing but underpants.
>>
Just made some sauteed spinach and garlic. Dunno what else to do with a giant bag of spinach, but it will go bad by Monday if I don't use it.
>>
Didn't want to go out or put effort into anything so I heated up a can of chili and two tortillas, Fridays sure are fun.
>>
I made some dal palak (red lentils with spinach). Went full redneck and ate it with a hot dog bun instead of naan or rice. When will they start selling hot dogs and buns in equal amounts god damn this stupid country.
>>
File: DSC_0013-2.jpg (574 KB, 1000x643) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0013-2.jpg
574 KB, 1000x643
>>7599658
Awesome, I'll have to try making some gremolata
>>7599716
I miss oyster mushrooms, among other things, only being able to shop at walmart on a regular basis sucks...have you ever tried growing them?
>>7599840
jesus anon, pull yourself together
>>7599917
it goes really well in eggs
>>7599937
have you ever tried to make saag masala?

also, this is how it turned out
>>
Pizza. It would have been mostly from scratch, but my homemade sauce went bad.
>>
File: DSC_0014.jpg (573 KB, 1000x716) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0014.jpg
573 KB, 1000x716
The broth was much more flavorful than my first attempt, not quite like what you would get at a restaurant but a pinch of msg would have taken it there. It was also cloudy, but not nearly as cloudy as I thought it would be since I didn't skim it at all (strained it at the end).
the chicken ended up not being cooked all the way through so I pulled it into smaller pieces and browned it with some white wine vinegar, molasses and sweet chili sauce. Also, I forgot to mention that I also used half a stick of cinnamon and a tablespoon of sugar as part of the spice, obviously the sugar wasn't heated in the pan with everything else first.
>>
>>7599954
>have you ever tried to make saag masala?

No, but I've had it before at a Nepali restaurant. I'll have to try it one time.
>>
>>7599969
You used the wrong type of noodles, looks great though.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.