[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Cross-Contamination apply to cooked, Ready-To-Serve foods?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: nomixing.jpg (131 KB, 753x501) Image search: [Google]
nomixing.jpg
131 KB, 753x501
Does Cross-Contamination apply to cooked, Ready-To-Serve foods?

Lets say you have shrimp on its own skewer, pork meatballs on their own skewer, and vegetables on their own skewer. You take them all, and dip them into a vat of teriyaki sauce, leave them there for about 5 minutes. Take them out, separate them and serve individually. Then you take that same teriyaki sauce and apply it to a completely different steak that was cooked later on. How much of this is cross-contamination?
>>
To specify my own opinion, I think it is. That teriyaki sauce can still easily cause people to have allergic reactions. People with religious beliefs would probably not be very pleased (though its easy to ignore them). Bacterially, it's all cooked so it shouldn't matter from that perspective.
>>
>>7598202
Cross-contamination applies to everything.

In the example you posted, all the skewers could theoretically contaminate each other while they sit in the sauce. And that then gets transferred to the steak.

But this can easily be avoided by keeping the sauce hot.
>>
>>7598206
The sauce is usually kept hot, which I also considered. I was also thinking that cross-contamination applied to everything, but that in some cases its okay. No one is going to complain about meat and veggies cross-contaminating in a stew for example.
>>
>>7598206
pure retardation.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/be-smart-keep-foods-apart/ct_index

all of this deals with keeping stuff (usually meat juices) away from other things that might not be cooked. reason being, that raw meat (maybe with the exception of certain grades of steak or fish) is considered to be contaminated by default, and needs to be cooked before it is consumed.

if you cut raw chicken on a cutting board, and don't clean it (sufficiently), then cut up some greens for a salad (which won't be cooked), then you are potentially fucked.

if you cut raw chicken on a cutting board, then cut some veggies on the same board, then cook those veggies at least as much as you would the chicken, there's no fucking way that's going to cause a problem. having said that, it's a bad habit to get into.
>>
>>7598209
>No one is going to complain about meat and veggies cross-contaminating in a stew for example.

Sure, because all of that is cooked together.

But with your skewer example you have multiple disticint items. It's possible that one of the skewers might be undercooked and therefore might have some pathogens to spread. It's also possible that one of the skewers sat around for a while and started to grow bacteria before it got dipped in the sauce. Those things are fairly unlikely since I assume this is a yakitori sort of place where the skewers would be dipped the moment they came off the heat so in practice I doubt this would be dangerous but it would technically be cross-contamination. The question is whether or not there are any harmful pathogens present to spread, and the answer to that is probably no.
>>
>>7598223
I mean the bad habit part is really the core of it right? It's just a bad practice. Regardless of the level of how bad it is, doing it at all is still worse than not doing it. The solution could be as easy as Three new smaller containers of sauce for each different meat.
>>
>>7598223
>there's no fucking way that's going to cause a problem

I agree with you. But what you described is still a case of "cross contamination", it's just corrected later by cooking the veggies.
>>
>>7598223
cross contamination can refer to allergy specific foods
for instance, mushroom or peanuts can contaminate foods if you cook them next to other foods, like on a griddle or in a sauce
>>
should always have separate pans/bowls when it comes to seafood vs beef/etc imo

in my restaurant there is definitely some cross contamination on the steam table with fully cooked pork chicken rice and beans. if someone with a severe pork allergy or whatever came in id probably heat their shit up separately. have never had to do that though. always be safe rather than sorry. if you have to ask dont do it.

health code has gotten a loooot stricter in the last decade so its important to be diligent about stuff like that. walk in coolers for example. veggies above seafood above chicken, nothing on the floor, no exposed tape, everything labelled with dates. theres a ton of shit to remember
>>
>>7598249
And also for religious or moral issues.
>>
ready to eat items are not cross contaminating eachother unless one of the ready to eat items was contaminated by something NOT ready to eat.

>>7598204
>opinion
food safety is not based on opinions.
>allergies
this is a legitimate concern. However i can only imagine if someone said they were allergic to shellfish, their skewer would not be dipped into the communal teriyaki vat. Or at least the server would tell the customer that because really the risk would be minuscule.

>>7598223
correct

this is not cross contamination.

>>7598224
>undercooked skewers
yes if your restaurant serves undercooked food then you are contaminating your teriyaki sauce and everyone is at risk. call chipotle immediately for advice.
however OP stated specifically that we are talking about cooked and ready to eat foods, in which case none of this is cross contamination.
>>
it doesn't apply for normal people cooking for themselves or their familly. It's for restaurant and food factories.
>>
If I'm cooking for myself I just don't give a fuck. I'll wash my hands and equipment with hot water and soap, that's more than enough.
A couple times I've accidentally undercooked cheap minced beef and chicken to medium and just ate it anyway. I was fine, I think people get ill all the time because they're squeamish and never exercise their immune systems
>>
>>7598260
>OP stated specifically that we are talking about cooked and ready to eat foods

Sort of.

1) Typically one cooks food after it's been dipped into teriyaki sauce. The point is to carmelize the sauce on the food. Therefore there's a possibility that in OP's operation the skewers are not yet fully cooked when they get dipped into the sauce, by intent, and that OP left out these details for sake of brevity.

2) There's always a chance that a cook could make a mistake and put an undercooked or otherwise potentially contaminated skewer into the sauce.

3) cross-contamination for allergic or religious reasons can still happen even if the food is fully cooked and ready to serve.
>>
>>7598260
Person with "opinion" here, I just used that word because when dealing with food there really aren't many absolutes, so food "safety" is more like "general recommendations, but with a really solid backing for why you should follow them." The regulations also change from area to area, No two Provinces in Canada have the same safety codes, and I'd be willing to bet that various States in the United States of America have the same deal going on. I digress.

I personally have an allergy to shellfish, but not a bad one. I haven't risked eating that teriyaki sauce yet. I can handle raw/cooked seafoods, but eating it makes me vomit. This is partly why I ask, but also just because... Well like I said before, it just seems like bad practice and it strikes me as definite cross-contamination.

The degree to which it matters I suppose is the matter for debate. If it causes someone to have a severe allergic reaction, then it matters quite a bit. But if cross contamination is "Someone who is on a gluten diet gets a little gluten," then fuck em.
>>
>>7598256
Religious or moral reasons can eat a dick. It is not moral to choose not to eat food while other people are starving to death with no food.

This is because no matter what, you can justify anything being an immoral act or a moral act.
>>
>>7598292
The skewers in this case are about 99% cooked, they put them back on the grill after teriyaki just to cook the sauce a little bit. But yeah.
>>
>>7598292
if ops dipping different types of raw meat into the same pan of sauce (in a service environment) hes a big ol dumb jerk. fine at home, not at work
>>
>>7598306
>It is not moral to choose not to eat food while other people are starving to death with no food
>This is because no matter what, you can justify anything being an immoral act or a moral act.

That's not how it works
>>
>>7598315
To be clear, I'm not dipping raw meat into sauces. I'm advocating against it. The question is whether cooked meats count, which I am still advocating against it.
>>
>>7598306
>Religious or moral reasons can eat a dick

While I agree with you as a matter of personal opinion, I still think that they qualify as cross contamination in a dictionary sense.
>>
>>7598292
>sort of
>>7598202
>Does cross-contamination apply to cooked, ready-to-serve foods?

im just answering the question in the OP, not trying to be difficult.

the point is that cooked-ready-to-serve foods are not "cross contaminating" eachother

the allergy issue an entirely different question. When you have a severe food allergy there is a reason all restaurant menus say to tell your server, because the kitchen needs to take extra special precautions to accommodate you. it isnt the standard for food safety.
>>
>>7598329
i figured
>>
>>7598223
>NO BAD PIEECES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMColAwUht4
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.