[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheese is expensive as hell. How do you make cheese sauce on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (54 KB, 610x325) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
54 KB, 610x325
Cheese is expensive as hell. How do you make cheese sauce on the cheap like in pic related?
>>
Move to Wisconsin.
>>
they sell knockoff powdered sauce in bulk.
>>
>>7596980
>like pic related
Buy bulk powdered cheese. Same shit that comes in Kraft boxes. Add milk and butter. Presto, cheap ass cheese sauce.
>>
Bechamel Sauce

4 tables spoons flour
4 tables spoons butter
400 ml milk
salt
black pepper
nutmeg
cheese

wide pan
stove set medium low and maybe just under that depending on BTU of burner.

melt butter and then add flour. stir into paste. let it cook for a bit. When it starts to darken, you flatten it out in the pan and start adding cold milk in 100 ml increments. stirring it all to well incorporated each time. once you have a smoother white sauce, you salt and pepper to taste. grind in quarter to half a nutmeg into the sauce.

now slowly add small hand fulls of freshly grated cheese. don't use a cheese that will get stringy when melted. I highly recommend goat cheese and parmigiano-regginao, or you can just use a sharp cheddar. stir in the cheese till melted and full incorporated. remove sauce from heating for half of your stirring time, between adding more cheese. Just keep adding in small amounts of cheese until the sauce has that cheese flavor you are looking for.
>>
Willingly paying money acquired through work that was invested through time which you have a limited supply of before you die forever to pay for fake cheese?

What's wrong with you?
>>
Look on Alibaba, you can probably buy 50lb sacks of it.
>>
>>7596980

take a slice of processed cheese and stir it into the noodles with hot milk and butter. problem solved.
>>
>>7597015
not enough emulsifiers in the cheese slice.
>>
File: Cheese Noodles.png (2 MB, 816x1224) Image search: [Google]
Cheese Noodles.png
2 MB, 816x1224
>>7597020

That's not how cheese sauces work.
>>
>>7597053
Yes it does, you white trash pig.
>>
>>7597053
That is some thing a /b/tard would come up with
>>
>>7597053
christ, i can feel my arteries getting clogged by all that butter
>>
>>7597005
I'm on disability welfare with a very strict budget.
>>
>>7597053
you need 10x as much cheese
>>
>>7597015
This does in fact work. My ex gf use to do it and I tried it once. You break up the slices into pieces and right when you drain the pasta and it's super hot stir them in and add a little milk, salt and pepper. It isn't good but it isn't that bad when drunk.
>>
>>7597307
What's your disability?
>>
>>7597372
Constant dizziness and lack of balance. Major depressive disorder. Generalized anxiety disorder.
>>
>>7597372

Judging by >>7597548
hes a lazy cunt who cant sort himself out and deal with these problems like hundreds of others do on a daily basis.
>>
>>7597005
What's fake about it, exactly? It's dried, ground-up cheese. That's like saying powdered milk or powdered eggs are fake. THEY'RE MADE FROM REAL MILK AND EGGS.
>>
>>7597372
autism
>>
>>7597124

Cheese is not and has never been an emulsifier mongoloid.
>>
>>7596980
Buy cheese ends from a deli. It's a crap shoot (never know what shit you're getting), but it is leagues cheaper than buying fancy cheese, and usually makes a pretty good sauce.
>>
>>7596980
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you want to eat cheap cheese?
>>
>>7597877
To save money for more important things.
>>
>>7597893
Then eat less cheese. Cheap cheese is shitty, and in most cases worse than no cheese at all.
>>
>>7598014
It tastes fine most of the time. Depends what you buy.
>>
>>7597053
>american cuisine
>>
>>7598033
Cheese powder and blocks of American cheese taste like shit.
>>
>>7597174
>all that butter
It's not even that much. You should see the amounts restaurants use.
>>
>>7596980
>How do you make cheese sauce on the cheap like in pic related?

You don't. Cheap cheese tastes nasty. If you can't afford the good stuff then make a different dish.
>>
>Cheese is expensive as hell
Is it really? Because where I live it isn't
>>
>>7598105
Where do you live such that good cheese is cheap?

Or are you just buying crap cheese?
>>
>>7598121
There's almost no difference between good quality cheddar and bad quality cheddar. I'm only talking about real cheddar though, not the stuff you get outside of the UK.
>>
>>7598195
That was my point.

Proper cheddar made in the UK is a lot more expensive than the fake "cheese like product" that some people buy.
>>
>>7598195
get absolutely fucked. there's good cheese all over the world.
>>
>>7598105
>>7598121
It is very expensive and impossible to find if you live in Asia.
>>
>>7596980
Cheese isn't that expensive

You don't have bricks of sharp cheddar at your markets brahs?

It's like 5 bux
>>
>>7597685
processed american cheese contains emulsifiers

it is how they make it solid after adding liquids and proteins to the cheddar they start with. Also why it melts into such a nice consistency.
>>
>>7598266
How much does the brick weigh?
>>
>>7598232
Nope, Tesco own brand is £5 per kilogram.

>>7598254
Learn to read. I'm only talking about cheddar.
>>
>>7598273
10 ounces or 283 grams
>>
>>7598266
>It's like 5 bux

It's also shit quality.
>>
>>7598278
Likewise, when I said cheese that includes cheddar.
>>
>>7598288
>It's also shit quality.

It's real cheese, not velveeta

Tastes fine desu

Required to be refrigerated by the USDA is pretty gay tho
>>
>>7598289
If it's not made in the UK, it's not cheddar. American "cheddar" is fucking orange. Maybe America has good cheeses other than cheddar (it doesn't), but that's irrelevant. American cheddar is fake, the same way American champagne is fake. It can legally be called cheddar/champagne, but it's not
>>
>>7598300
>American champagne is fake.

tfw california wines beat france in european taste tests

butthurt
>>
>>7598298
Yeah, I know it's actual "cheese" but there are still massive variations in quality.

>>tastes fine
That's not a very good endorsement, anon. I don't want my cheese to taste "fine", I want it to taste "fucking amazing".

>>7598300
You know that we Amerifats can buy imported Cheddar from England, right?
>>
File: 1456651800743.png (659 KB, 930x316) Image search: [Google]
1456651800743.png
659 KB, 930x316
>>7598327
>being this butthurt

LOL AMERICANS CAN'T MAKE GOOD CHEDDAR

DATS BRIT SHIT ONLY
>>
>>7598300
>>7598300
Have you ever even heard of Wisconsin? Come the fuck on, it's a huge country.
>>
File: a.jpg (3 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
3 MB, 1936x2592
>>7598300
Only some of it is coloured, and that has no effect on the taste at all.

It's not a secret recipe, it's a widely known cheese making process and it's not exclusive to Europe.
>>
>>7598338

You seem to be confusing me with another poster, anon.

I have no problem with the idea of American cheddar. Many of them are great. But the stuff for $5 a brick is not it.
>>
>>7598346
>my cheese has to be eighty dollars an ounce, made with the milk of a british woman and the cum of an Indian man

fucking proles amrite
>>
>all these butthurt americlaps thinking their country has good cheddar
Plato's Allegory of the Cave comes to mind.
>>
I would buy cheddar but never from the UK. You limeys should have kept your mouths shut during the obamacare debate.
>>
>>7598353
You're not too far off. Top tier cheese is made in America, but you'll only find it if you know a cheesemaker or have access to a good specialty shop. The standard of what most folks have available to them at the supermarket is very low.

This is true for many foods in America. Americans like cheap food, so the standard becomes a race to the bottom in both price and quality. The good stuff ends up in niche and luxury markets at prices most Americans would balk at. Most people here will not consider something good at $20/lb when they can get a block or plastic wrapped garbage for $4.
>>
>>7596980
Just make your own cheese dude
>>
>>7597372
Obesity
>>
>>7598327
It works like the gold you steal from a leprechaun. If you take it awa y it becomes potatoes
>>
>>7597558
I'll pass out if I sit up for too long.
>>
>>7598475
In other words:
Cheese from the supermarket: BAD

Cheese from that tiny creamery in that middle of nowhere town: GOOD
>>
>>7599182
Generally it's more like this:
Cheese from the supermarket: mediocre mass produced stuff, but cheap
Cheese from the tiny creamery: could be good or amazing, definitely better than what's at the supermarket
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.