[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Californians think the only allowed flavors are pure oak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
Why do Californians think the only allowed flavors are pure oak and mega purple?

inb4 no TRUE california wine tastes like literally pure oak and mega purple, inb4 muh judgment of paris

Let's be real here. California does to wine what Wisconsin does to cheese. Anyone who actually wants to drink good American wine buys Washington, Oregon, or New York wines. Or just drinks something imported from Europe.
>>
>>7596068
Because American palates aren't able to detect anything but simple, loud, and vulgar. See also: American ideas about "good beer". Subtle does not work when your potential customers grew up eating McDonald's and coca-cola.
>>
Every wine region has it's good and bad stuff.

Still, as an American I will usually buy a Côtes du Rhône over a California wine at the same price.
>>
>>7596086

Shitty bait.
>>
>>7596090
Unfortunately not
>>
>>7596090

you must be new here
>>
>>7596068
Never had a California wine but lake country table wine is pretty cheap and good to get really drunk on
>>
>>7596086
>subtle means good

Easily the worst meme among teenagers
>>
>>7596210
>cartoon characters on IPA aren't marketing to teenagers
The tragedy of the global financial crisis was that it spawned a generation of man children who think like teenagers well into their thirties, because they couldn't move out on their own.
>>
I'm NOT drinking any FUCKING Merlot....
>>
>>7596261
>oh look at me pretending to be mature because Im a big strong manly man!!!!

You're a closeted fat fuck homo
>>
It's Joe Wagner's fault. He believes California should only sell '''pinot noir''' that tastes and looks like Aussie shiraz-merlot blends, and he owns most of the state at this point.
>>
I like the Gallo Family wines, especially their Burgundy. Picked up some Rex Goliath Cabernet Sauvignon the other night and was pleasantly impressed. Strong, bold, red wines are what I like.
>>
>>7596332
>burgundy wine from california
What does this even mean? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>7596568

Pinot Noir...
>>
>>7596608
Northern Italy, parts of Germany, even many parts of France that are not Bourgogne produce good pinot noir wine, without having to resort to mislabeling their wine.

New York, Washington, Oregon manage not to mislabel their wine.

What is special about California that they feel that nobody will voluntarily purchase their wines unless they mislabel it? It reminds me of Wisconsin and their fake ''''pecorino'''' cheese which is actually made from pasteurized cow's milk.
>>
>>7596623

It's a generic term used by producers of cheap wine made from a bunch of cheap grapes bought from multiple vineyards, and often sold in a box.

It would be the equivalent of going into a grocery store in Dijon and picking up a 2 Euro bottle of "vin rouge de table", or whatever.
>>
>>7596636
So i can just put any term on a bottle in the US? Shouldnt be ensured that pinot noir is indeed pinot noir and not: "like 10% pinot noir and some other reds". At least thats what its like here in Germany
>>
>>7597633
Basically, yes. I mean there's rules for the most basic stuff like alcohol levels but beyond that, what we do here is just look at the price and hope that there's some correlation to quality (obviously, this is rather unreliable).

That's why, unless I'm in the mood to gamble, I'll buy euro PDO stuff. You can make some pretty reliable inferences about what it's going to be like, based solely on the words printed on the label, at least for most of the appellations.

It's a shame we can't have that here, usually some spergy kid who is barely old enough to drink defends this '''system''' as '''innovation''' or derides accurate labeling as anti-competitive. It's sad.
>>
>>7597633
I really wish our country would enforce laws like that with wine, instead of just liquor.
>>
I bought a horrible Oregon pinot noir yesterday, "elouan", it was basically vanilla syrup. This isn't just a California problem, it's a USA problem.
>>
>Wine
>Good
Degenerate alcoholics
>>
>>7597746
>no fun allowed
>everything is degenerate
Gb2 pol you totalitarian autist
Assuming you aren't just a contrarian troll
>>
>
>>
Since this is the only wine thread active, what is everyone having tonight?

Grabbed some grenache to work on while I code.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.