[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi all, has anyone ever made seitan from vital wheat gluten?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: tasty-breaded-seitan_6886.jpg (61 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
tasty-breaded-seitan_6886.jpg
61 KB, 600x400
Hi all, has anyone ever made seitan from vital wheat gluten? I actually quite like it. I tried adding an egg to the vital wheat gluten, along with spices and tomato paste, ad got a really good dough.
So, uh,
>fake meat general
>>
File: blackpope.jpg (54 KB, 630x390) Image search: [Google]
blackpope.jpg
54 KB, 630x390
>>7592796
>HAIL SEITAN!
>>
>>7593483
lol
>>
>>7592796
How spongy is that stuff?
>>
>>7592796
Iz dat sum tendays?
>>
>>7592796
Yes, I've done it a lot. However, I find that I get better results from slow cooking large cuts of pork or beef over wood fires.

Anyway, seitan is super simple. I've used to general methods with the second resulting in better texture but requiring careful attention to seasoning the 'dough.'
1- prepare a basic dough with some season and simmer it in a tasty broth. This is simplest and allows you to adjust the flavor by messing about with the broth. I do find that texture tends to be more spongy and the broth needs to be heavily seasoned in line with seasoning of the dough in order to make sure that flavor is infused into the seitan
2-Prepare the dough with a good amount of seasoning. Liquid added to make the dough must include oil, seasoning and salt/soy sauce. This is all the flavoring that the seitan will receive so it's best to have an idea of your flavor profile based on previous experience with simmering seitan. Knead the dough well, let it get nice and tough. Rest it for a bit, maybe half an hour, and then form it into a thick tube. Wrap it tightly, very tightly, in two or three layers of foil and toss it into a preheated 300F degree oven. Cook for about 45 minutes then let cool slowly, ideally covered with kitchen towel, for at least thirty minutes.

The first method gives you decent cutlets or chunks that can be stir fried or breaded or added to stews but I have always found the texture to be lacking.

The second method gives you good sandwich slices and can also be turned into cutlets or bits for stew or stir fry with some knife work. The texture is better, toothier, but it requires experience with seasoning in order to avoid either flavorless or over-seasoned status.

Also, try this shit out: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-perfect-seitan/
>>
>>7593647
Fuck you you vegan bitch
>>
>>7593613
no it's nasty vegan wheat shit
>>
File: 1322840181491.gif (498 KB, 342x360) Image search: [Google]
1322840181491.gif
498 KB, 342x360
>>7593651
What part of the second sentence of my post did you not understand?

I'm not vegan, not vegetarian. I eat meat. I roast meat. I am the person that my co-workers at an established local restaurant go to when they want to organize a real bbq or want advice on how to prepare a roast or how to make burgers or their own sausage.

The fact that I know how to make a wide variety of foods, including vegetarian and vegan, is because I give a fuck about food and how to satisfy human desires. Humans desire meat or things that taste and feel like meat even when they think, for whatever reason, that eating meat is inappropriate.

I do my job. I make good food. I am not ashamed of being better at pretty much anything and everything than you are.

Also, learn to comma you shit eating australopith.
>>
>>7593691
Tldr vegan bitch
>>
>>7593698
>can't read two sentences
>can't spell out "too long, didn't read"

alright, m80, real glad you have an opinion
>>
>>7593717
You don't actually need to reply to shitposters.
>>
>>7593719
But that's pretty much the only thing there is to do on /ck/
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.