[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't the Poboys sandwich made as big a name of itself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: ifalRzF.jpg (490 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
ifalRzF.jpg
490 KB, 2448x3264
Why haven't the Poboys sandwich made as big a name of itself as the Philly Steak&Cheese?

And does anyone here even know what one is? They're amazing and while other seafood sandwiches exist, none compare.
>>
lol
po boy is just the wheezy-Ana term for submarine sandwiches/heroes/hoagies

the only thing that sets it apart is that seafood is common, but it's not at all the most popular as that would be roast beef
>>
>>7590697
Po Boy seems to be the name when they're made with french bread and contain shrimp. The convenience of the name is pretty obvious. People don't usually think "shrimp sandwich" when you said "submarine sandwich" or "hoagie". I don't know what "heroes" is and I don't call my food random words like that.
>>
>>7590740
>everything i say in my post agrees with your post completely but i'm gonna say it in such a way to make it sound like i don't agree completely
y u do this?
>>
>>7590743
I don't know what's wrong with me sometimes but I wouldn't be surprised if I have a neurological disorder and other impairments as well.
I guess I'll say I never see regular ol' shrimp subs that often as philly. I guess a lot of people dont like seafood than I thought. I always figured it was weird growing up and noticing people finding it weird that I grew up eating seafood, but I still held out hope that there was a silent majority of seafood lovers.
>>
>>7590697
It's actually named that way because it's usually a simple and cheap sandwich to make. Hence the name, "po-boy." Best ones are with fried shrimp, mayo, cabbage, and tomatoes.
>>
>>7590683
Not all poboys are seafood sandwiches
>>
>>7590683
Po-boy, poor boy, whatever is just a sandwich on a French loaf.

More specifically, a New Orleans s style French loaf, which is more German than French.

The original variant was likely made with fried potatoes.

The most common, as one anon said, is roast beef.

Shrimp is probably more iconic to tourists though.

Source: dog I am from New Orleans.
>>
>>7590683
The fuck is a steak and cheese? Did you mean a cheesesteak?
>>
Isn't a "po boy" just breaded shrimp on bread? Pleb tier...
>>
>>7590898

tell us what a muffalata is
>>
>>7590974
It's a round, sicillian sesame roll filled with ham, mortadella, salami, cheese (I wanna say provolone is the most common, but shit varies), and olive salad.

The Olive salad is like olive oil, olives, and giardiniera usually.

What else you wanna know?
>>
>>7590945
no, it's not. But enjoy making accusations and judgements on things you know nothing about and looking like a dumb ass. Someone has to do it. Thanks for stepping up and being that guy.
>>
>>7590683
Grandfather is from the south. He called meatball subs po boys. So this shrimp sub is supposeto be the real deal?
>>
>>7590683
>one of the most famous sandwiches
>literally a meme before the internet was born
>everyone knows what it is
>tourist attraction and destination dining for 100 years

um
>>
because our popular culture is always biased towards the east coast, i guess
>>
File: PoBoy - RoastBeef.gif (232 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
PoBoy - RoastBeef.gif
232 KB, 800x533
>>7590683
not all poboys are seafood...
>>
What makes a poboy different from a normal sandwich is what I wanna know. When I think poboy I think a seafood sandwich but I don't eat seafood. I'd go to antones poboys all the time in Houston though and they had roast beef poboys or fried chicken poboys, that's what I like to get. Since they weren't seafood though I'm not sure what made them poboys and set them apart from normal subs. Does poboy have a special type of bread or something? What's stopping people from making pb&j poboys, or chicken parm poboys?
>>
File: 654884.jpg (109 KB, 1143x386) Image search: [Google]
654884.jpg
109 KB, 1143x386
>>7592921
>>
File: o.jpg (115 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
115 KB, 750x1000
bacon cheeseburger po'boy.
>>
Po boy is just the hick term for a sandwich/hoagie/sub etc.

And it's not called a 'philly steak and cheese' regardless of what your shit-tier pizza joint in "Any-city-that's-not-philly" calls it.
>>
because they aren't as good
>>
>>7593034
Philly makes some of the worst cheese steaks, you have a much higher probability that a random cheese steak you get will be good in literally any other northeastern or midwestern city

Going to philly for a cheesesteak is like going to McDonald's for a burger, sure they are famous for it, but they are shit
>>
>>7593059
This desu. The best I've had came from small pizzarias and Italian dives in Texas.
>>
>>7593059
They put cheezwhiz on their fucking phillies. Never going back to that shithole.
>>
>>7593034
I am triggered by your stupidity, go jump in a lake.
>>
>>7592917
I actually nostalgia'd at that image. I haven't had a roast beef PoBoy since I was a child! My grandmother would make the sauciest sandwiches. I forgot about their existence, so I thank you.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.