[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the BEST brand of Greek yogurt, /ck/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (497 KB, 765x574) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
497 KB, 765x574
What is the BEST brand of Greek yogurt, /ck/?
>>
I used to like Greek Gods, but the amount of sugar in it per serving is like eating a bowl of ice cream. I just stick to plain Mountain High now with some granola thrown in.
>>
>>7590609
dodoni, maybe olympos
>>
>>7590609
Fage, but Siggi's will do just fine.
>>
The kind you strain at home you fucking retard.

Why the fuck would you pay literally more than twice as much for the same amount of greek (misnomer, should either be "greek-style" or "strained") when you can spend 17 bucks on a plastic strainer with ultra fine nylon mesh (better than cheesecloth AND reusable), and then buy all the cheap regular yogurt you can afford, dump it in the strainer for 18-26 hours, and WA FUCKIN LA you got your very own greek yogurt plus you have the leftover acid whey to use in smoothies and shit.

There is no best brand of greek-style yogurt because it's all shit. You don't even have to expend any effort in making your own, you just put the strainer in the fridge and wait.
>>
>>7590609
Best Greek... Oxymoron
Patricians eat Bulgarian yogurt.
>>
>>7591067
>kind you strain at home you fucking retard.

Why do Americans ruin everything? Greeks don't even do this unless they live in some rural farm town
>>
>>7591067
All it is you clowns is yogurt cheese, go buy some yogurt cheese strainers or cheese cloths and an ok tub of yogurt and strain it, you'll probably get just about the best yogurt cheese GREEK yogurt whatever the fuck you guys want to call it.

>>7591078
Is this like bulgarian feta? No thanks.
>>
>>7591098
Wtf? They strain it to make Tzatziki, who told you this bullshit? They strain yogurt, it's common throughout Greece for making dips, eating plain and baking with. Other parts of europe this is common also, it's just plain'ol yogurt cheese, plenty of french recipes call for yogurt cheese, where people strain regular yogurt in cheese cloths or plastic/metal strainers.
>>
>>7591098

Regular yogurt has a fuckload of industrial optimizations and doing the bacterial formulations, cooking, and the first two strainings in a factory setting let's you take advantage of economies of scale; greek-style yogurt is strained one more time and has no major industrial optimizations. Why should I pay a company to do a single straining for me when I can do it myself, control the exact texture and moisture content to my liking, and keep the acid whey that would otherwise be thrown out to use for myself in my own recipes?
>>
I like Oikos. Less sour tasting.
>>
>>7591112
The acid whey liquid is a bit rough on me tummy though, how do you neutralize it, or you don't and your stomach can handle it? Serious question.
>>
>>7591124

I use it as a base for liquid marinades in a lot of ethnically Middle Eastern meats that I make and have been doing a little experimentation with substituting it in some more Western marinades. I put some in green drink smoothies that I make, and sometimes I'll mix a bit in with my dog's dry food. I am slowly figuring out how to substitute a bit of it for water in some baking recipes but learning how the acid interacts with leavening is a fun process (messed up a few loaves of bread but the scientist in me enjoys it); you can make savory sourdough-esque pancakes it with the whey if you like.
>>
>>7591067
It only costs me $8 for a pack of 12 greek
'gurts at sams club idk sounds like a pretty good deal to me?
>>
>>7591067
>buying yogurt
>calling others retarded
lmoa
>>
>>7591124
>or you don't and your stomach can handle it?

That. Whey is only slightly acidic; the acid already in your stomach is much much stronger.
>>
>>7591539

what size are you buying, the small individual serving ones? I can say with just about 100% certainty that buying larger sizes like the 32 oz plastic containers are more bang for the buck.

Plus you get to add your own flavors and mix it in with whatever you want instead of being stuck with some shitty artificial fruit flavoring no one likes.

>>7591594

>>buying yogurt

>not taking 100 years to formulate your own lactobacillius strain
>not milking your own cows
>not raising the cows yourself on the roof of your apartment
>not developing a small production facility in your kitchen that includes a sealed off, temperature-controlled sterile cooking line to prevent cross-contamination

why ever buy anything when you could just make it yourself right? haha xD Who care about comparative advantage or any other basic economic concepts that make it so you can live your life the way you do today xDDDD
>>
Isn't it all just plain yoghurt anyway?
>>
testing

ps let's discuss yoghurts
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.