[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CAST IRON SKILLETS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Sell me on Cast Iron Skillets. I don't understand the appeal. Is this shit just a meme? Should I buy one? How is it different than a $25 walmart skillet? What can it do that mine cant?

Sell me on it.
>>
>>7589361
I mean if I cook eggs on it, do I have to use Pam?
>>
>>7589369
Can I do steak on it? How about chicken? What the fuck do I do with it? How do I justify spending money on one? My $25 walmart one does all these things just fine.
>>
>>7589373
Also I read you don't have to clean it and that the shit that builds up adds flavor? What's the deal, man?
>>
Cooks meat better than anything else you can put on a stove, good for deep frying, not for eggs. Doesn't warp when hot.

I have a cast iron propane griddle and I don't bother with grilling over open flame anymore
>>
Why do we have this exact thread at least twice a day?
>>
OH and OP it isn't for us to sell you anything you lazy cunt. Do your own research and come to your own conclusion. How can we possibly know if it is the right cookware for you, or the properties you want in a pan? Fucking think just for one second, and read the other cookware thread that is up
>>
>>7589361
deep fry
go in an oven
heat up to full blast without killing birds
>>
>>7589361
>is shit just a meme?
I hate this question. Is cast iron overhyped? Honestly, yeah. I love cast iron but the rabid fans who insist it's good for everything or 'all you need' are just wrong. Cast iron is not general-purpose cookware. It's better than anything else for certain tasks, but far worse than many other types of cookware at others.

Pros:
Sturdy as all fuck. You can put it in the oven. Under the broiler. On an open flame. It will not care. And, as long as you take care of it, it will last a lifetime, and get better with use.
Very nonstick, if seasoned properly.
Generally quite heavy, and, when combined with the thermal properties of iron, this means that it stores a hell of a lot of energy. This in turn translates to god-tier searing and high-heat cooking, as well as very high temperature stability.

Cons:
Requires initial seasoning and a little bit of extra care to prevent rust/maintain nonstick properties. It's pretty easy but it's not as trivial to look after as, say, stainless steel cookware.
Can be heavy.
Thermal properties mean it heats slowly and- contrary to what most people think- pretty unevenly. This is mitigated by heating it on a lower heat for a longer time, but still. It also sucks for fine temperature control.
Reactive, meaning you have to be careful using acids in it.

Basically, if you're frying, or cooking with very high heat, or just need an incredibly sturdy nonstick pan for whatever you're doing, cast iron is hard to beat. It sears meat better than anything else. But it's not for everything. Well worth having a cast iron skillet though, even just for the godly searing properties.
>>
i got one and honestly i've used it for baking pizzas as much as anything else
it makes a damn good pie
>>
just get a good aluminum pan
>>
File: 095445_R_Z001.jpg (13 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
095445_R_Z001.jpg
13 KB, 420x420
Do these work on an electric hob okay like pic related?
>>
>>7589442
>not for eggs
if you can't cook perfect eggs without them sticking your seasoning is shit

i cook all my eggs in my griswold 8
(except for cheesy scrambled for the kiddo)
>>
>>7590923
Yeah, wouldn't want to ruin your wife's son's cheesy scrambled eggs.
>>
File: 1458029388863.jpg (51 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
1458029388863.jpg
51 KB, 500x498
>>7590939
tbqh famamlam the whole cuck wife's kids meme is my favorite
>>
As a busy Mom, I find cast iron to work the best whether I'm whipping up a quick quiche or rendering Steak au Poivre.

No matter, my hubby likes it all from cast iron. It's the cookware for all seasons!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.