[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people afraid of MSG?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: accent.jpg (50 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
accent.jpg
50 KB, 600x450
Why are people afraid of MSG?
>>
because of the MSG
>>
Idk why anyone would be afraid of mobile suit gundam
>>
>>7589285
Its metal solid gear
>>
>>7589258
because it's made out of chemtrails and autist vaccines of course!
>>
>>7589258

It's got some applications but it should be left at home and not used in real kitchens. Very low class and kind of a cheat but otherwise nothing wrong with eating it.
>>
It has some good applications.

When I worked at mcdonalds as a kid we would make "grill fries" which were fries made with the shaker of grill seasoning rather than the fry salt.

They were much better and it was largely the msg in the grill seasoning shaker that made the difference.
>>
>>7589717
can I special request this?
>>
>>7589389
>not used in real kitchens
kitchen worker here...lemme tell you, sorry not sorry, but it is used in real kitchens
>>
>>7589735

when I say real, I mean like worth a shit, not some low rent steakhouse, sorry
>>
>>7589258
Look up Chinese Restaurant Syndrome, a case of mass hysteria from the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>7589389
I guess you don't use any spices or salt or anything at all because its cheating
>>
Cause minorities were the first ones to openly use them
so all the suburban moms got affraid causing mass panic
>>
>>7589258
go to bed, raymond
>>
>>7589258

not afraid just dont want it to overpower my food. its good on shitty food but if i am going to cook something i wont waste time on shit
>>
>>7589733
I don't know if they still use msg in the back line, but we had people order them every once in a while. (This was in the early 90's)

Go inside, ask for grill fries, if they don't know what they are just ask for fries seasoned with the stuff they use on the meat while grilling it.
>>
>>7589285
>>7589316
madison square garden
>>
>>7589258
Doesn't actually improve good food, so you might as well not use it unless you don't know how to cook
>>
File: msg chemical.jpg (62 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
msg chemical.jpg
62 KB, 636x358
>>7589861
This is likely.
>>
>>7590274
I'm shit at cooking, so I might as well use it then.
>>
Because they get pain head from MSG in food.
>>
Just don't put it on popcorn gak.
>>
I'm allergic to MSG.
>>
>>7590162
>>7589285
>>7589316
Moar
>>
>>7590549
>That infographic

There's only atom difference between water & hydrogen peroxide, but you probably don't want to drink one of them.
>>
>>7590274
>Things people who underseason their food say
>>
>>7590871
>only one atom difference, herp derp
The oxygen in water is oxidation state -II, whereas each of the two oxygens in peroxide is -I.
Not only has an atom been injected, but the existing electrical environment has been heavily changed.

You might as well be comparing sodium ions to sodium metal (only one electron difference).
One is vital to your bodily functions, while the other will violently react with water to produce hydrogen and caustic soda.
>>
>>7589389
MSG is present in tomatoes, cheese and almost anything that has a natural savory or umami taste
>>
>>7590549
that chinese restaurant syndrome is a meme that needs to die.
MSG does not make you sick

>>7590871
only people who know NOTHING about chemistry would say such a thing
>>
In all my fifteen plus years and many restaurants I've never seen or used straight msg.

Although I had a customer last year who was apparently allergic to it. I accidentally gave her some that was in the beef base and she freaked out.
>>
Racism, mostly.
>>
>>7591009
Even your average McDonalds employee has no idea they are using MSG.

The seasoning mix is only allowed to be referred to as "seasoning mix" and the line employees are not told what it contains.
>>
>>7590982
>umami taste
What is an umami taste
>>
>>7591051
savory.
>>
>>7591051

It's what gives mushrooms and beef their deep, rich flavor.
>>
It's fucking seaweed.

Get over it.
>>
>>7589258
I use Bragg's Amino Liquid, it's basically a soy sauce that's gluten free, made from soy and of course has naturally occurring MSG in it. Some cheeses like pecorino romano and even tomatoes contain MSG. The Bragg's liquid really adds a lot of flavor when added to soups, stews and rice.
>>
>>7589258
when i went to one of anthony boudains shows, he said its basically racism since asians love it
>>
>>7589258
Because one dumbass in the 80s got a headache and blamed it on MSG and wrote an article on it and now people think you can be allergic to MSG. Fun penn and teller video that showed a woman to be a fraud after baiting her into claiming she had this that and whatever going on after eating a dish containing MSG when it never had any at all.
>>
>>7590549

MSG doesn't necessary impact the body in the same way as glutamic acids in natural foods. Same argument as sugars vs complex carbohydrates, it spikes the plasma levels.
>>
>>7591215
The odd thing there is it actually had the opposite effect on me.

There was this little hole in the wall Chinese place by my work that put so much MSG in their food it would make your eyes feel weird of you ate too much.

If I had a migrane starting up, a half order of his chicken fried rice would stop it just as well as a Tramadol.

Might have just been the salt. Might have just been psychosomatic.
>>
>>7591056
Savoury includes salty, and to a lesser extent, bitter. Umami is the taste other than salt which gives savoury food such as meat its deep, rich flavour.
>>
After reading some, the fear is based off of hysteria.
>>
because scare propaganda?
>>
>>7590933
>>7590987
...but that's exactly the retarded argument the "Hurr durr MSG is just one atom different to an amino acid!" infographic is trying to make.
>>
>>7591290

it was probably the salt.

for some reason, people forget how much sodium is loaded into chinese-american food and auto-blame MSG because it's not a kitchen staple like table salt so they have no idea what it is and don't realize that it's all up in their cheetos and doritos. it must be those crafty orientals!!!!!!
>>
Same reason people are afraid of Aspartame and the same reason people switched from butter/lard to the far worse vegetable oils: Marketing and social/nutritional retardedness and fear
>>
>>7591880

marketing? MSG and apartame are very much marketed.

>social retardedness

what does that have to do with this thread?
>>
>>7591893
>MSG and apartame are very much marketed.
They're also marketed against, like most mainstream food industry staples

>what does that have to do with this thread?
If you're worried about what Susan the magazine editor said about MSG or Jeff next door has to say about Aspartame you're a social retard. Be concious all you like about food, just don't make choices based on what people say for social/self marketing reasons
>>
>>7591880
Aspartame gives me severe stomach pains and diarrhea. Vegetable oils are low in saturated fat and much healthier overall compared to butter and lard. Take off your tinfoil hat.
>>
>>7591902

are... you kidding? you really think social ineptitude is related to the degree you're influenced by the media and friends?

you sound a bit socially unaware...
>>
>>7591931
No, I think what some people eat is affected by what they hear and who they listen to.

You sound a bit mentally unaware..
>>
>>7590549
>>7590987
>>7591854
Yeah, it pretty much the fault of Bacillus cereus, not MSG. I make my own fried rice without MSG and I keep forgetting to place the fried rice in the fridge half the time, causing the syndrome to happen.
>>
>>7592007

er, i was referring to the association you made between social ineptitude and people's food choices being influenced by whatever factors...

i don't even know how to make you understand what you wrote. you're just backpedaling?
>>
>>7591087
I thought that was the fecal matter they grow in
>>
>>7592078
You're trying to project something that isn't there, presumably to try and win some imagined argument on the internet, good job being buttmad online. No, social retardedness is part of the problem of shitty food choice, get over it.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.