[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been vestedly reading up on nutrition on and off for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1209953314831.jpg (285 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1209953314831.jpg
285 KB, 1280x853
I've been vestedly reading up on nutrition on and off for the last 6+ months and I'm seeing a dietician shortly. I'm starting to really get into this shit and even considering taking a PhD.

Anyway, here's some general stuff I've learned which has been super useful, call me out on anything that sounds like bullshit and add any nutrition info/tips

Hemp is a complete and higher protein source than fish or meat, it also has a 1/4 omega 3/6 ratio which is pretty damned good if you like your auto immune system and brain synapses working properly

Vegetable oils are pretty much all trash with the exception of Coconut Oil, Butter, Lard and Olive Oil in that order. This is because they're packed with harmful fats and void of good fats. Coconut Oil is cheap, stores better, arguably tastes better and doesn't contain too much omega 6.

Eating more vegetables is almost always the best choice you can make for your diet. Aiming to eat less sugar or less X Y Z is psychologically difficult whereas eating more vegetables is usually a lot easier and changes your tastes and gut flora over time thus making you more likely to eat more, it also helps you feel fuller and get more fibre and the plethora of other benefits.

Fish and insects are the best sources of protein and red meat, while not bad for you in moderation, has all sorts of links to cancer and heart disease when eaten often, especially when processed.

Cooking any starchy food in dairy/nut oil/fish oil and leaving it for 12+ hours will change the structure of the starches and reduce the calories significantly.

Skimmed & Semi Skimmed milk is the most widely subscribed to meme in the west. Whole milk contains far more healthy fats and only a few more calories and has been shown to reduce the chances of all types of diabetes and many other auto immune diseases by nearly 50%

You can reduce most credible and good nutrition/diet advice down to a few components:

>Eat as varied a diet as feasible
>Eat as fresh as possible
>>
Sweet blog
>>
>reading about stuff anyone who browses /fit/ knows
>considering taking a PhD

top laugh my man
>>
File: 1460087164930.jpg (2 MB, 2480x3507) Image search: [Google]
1460087164930.jpg
2 MB, 2480x3507
>>7587718
>>hemp
what kind of food is hemp? I dont see it much in stores, I know its used for rope and clothes. is it an oil you mean? AFAIK there are lots of oils that contain a lot of omega 3 that aren't usable by the body without refinement by the body, which becomes a rather large bottleneck. Flax seed oil is the big problem, but i haven't heard anything about hemp.

I've heard whispers of polysaturated fat not being all that great for you compared to saturated fat when you account for omega 3/6 ratios, but I find it pretty hard to believe, so i'd be interested to hear a dietitions opinion on that, coconut oil especially, since it seems to contain so much saturated fat. It's hard to believe it's good for me. Finding a decent brand of olive oil would also be useful.

Also interested to hear about that opinion on whole milk too.
>>
>>7587718
bump for answers
>>
>>7587718
>Veg oils are trash except lard
>Veg oil Lard
>Vegetable
>Lard

Aside from this little bit of retardation you should also know some physical chemistry to have a baseline understanding of how you body uses what is consumed.

One of the things you should have learned about fats is that one of the main ways we categorize fats (and how they interact in the body) is the temperature at which they solidify.
>>
>>7587778
>he learned about nutrition from /fit/

bet u do GOMAD and eat 10 lbs of oats a day too
>>
>>7590293
Oils are very kinked molecules and don't stick well together so they keep bumping around and are liquid at room temp. Fats are more linear molecules and can lay beside one another easily-they congeal/solidify at room temperature.

One of the things that makes a molecule kinky or straight or mostly straight but with one or two kinks is how many hydrogen atoms are attached.

Thats what people are talking about when they say hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated. they are saying straight molecule/somewhat straight

Once these molecules are inside your body they behave differently. Its the difference between vegetable oil and lard its the difference between a long life and a triple bypass.
>>
>>7587718
>Coconut Oil, Butter, Lard and Olive Oil

What exactly are these good and bad fats? Coconut oil is high saturated but low monounsaturated, which is the exact opposite of olive oil.

None of them have much polyunsaturated fat, nor are they particularly high in omega 3 or 6.

That's just a very weird list of oils.
>>
>>7590340
Not as weird as what i did to your're mom's anus tho
>>
>>7587796
It's a seed.
>>
Thanks anon. Somehow I've never really been to this board before and I'm shocked at how much meat and fast food and general shit there is.

Vegetables are 10/10.
>>
>>7591141
any better answer to the last half of that question then? how does hemp omega 3 compare to flax seed and it's awful retention rating for its unrefined omega 3s
>>
Fruits are a meme for fat housewives who think they're healthy.
>>
>>7587718
>red meat, while not bad for you in moderation, has all sorts of links to cancer and heart disease when eaten often

Did you read someone writing a report saying the found a link, or did you read and understand HOW red meat has the ability to cause cancer?

If you're considering taking a PhD you need to understand HOW nutrition works and come to your own conclusions based on that. Rather than reading studies by people who were paid to come up with specific results...

>Whole milk contains far more healthy fats and only a few more calories and has been shown to reduce the chances of all types of diabetes and many other auto immune diseases by nearly 50%

I guarantee you that drinking whole milk instead of semi skimmed milk does not reduce chances of auto immune diseases by anything close to 50%... Again, you've read some sort of study without trying to understand WHY the study found those 'results'. Usually the "why" is because of poorly conducted experiments and lack of control.

>You can reduce most credible and good nutrition/diet advice down to a few components:
>Eat as varied a diet as feasible
>Eat as fresh as possible

This is what you expect to ear from random middle aged women or people trying to sell something organic. Not nutritionists...

Nutrition is all about numbers. Micro nutriants and vitamins etc. The numbers of what someone needs for their goal and what someone needs to eat to eat to achieve those numbers... Telling someone that whole milk is better than semi skimmed, telling them to cook 'starchy food' in oil and leave it for over 12 hours... and "eat more vegetables" is the lowest quality of advice... It's soccer-mom level nutrition.
>>
>>7591283

>i work on my PHD thesis on 4chan

fucking die. this shit is worse than fastfood threads.
>>
>>7591289
Good response... I'm glad you took to time to post it.

Thanks bro. Hopefully you enjoy the rest of the day as much as you enjoyed reading my post.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147 KB, 1000x1000
>>7591283
>eat a varied diet
This is very important as almost all vegetables/fruit have phytochemicals unique to them. How is this bad advice?

>eat as fresh as possible
Again, I cannot see how this is bad advice, aside from frozen vegetables actually being more nutritious

>cooking and cooling starchy food
I don't know about the oil thing, but resistant starch is most definitely a thing

>eat more vegetables
>low quality advice
Ah, you must be a retarded obese spoiled 15 year old. That would explain everything.

I agree with you on the whole milk thing though. All dairy is fine if you an tolerate it and don't overeat it

Anyway, my input to the thread:
>canned sardines are GOAT and should be eaten all the time
>you shouldn't really have carbs on their own frequently. Fat/protein helps manage blood sugar
>fruit is natures candy, 2 a day max
>>
Cholesterol is NOT bad for you, eggs are one of the healthiest foods on the planet, aim for a dozen a week
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.