[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fresh bread and olive oil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: olive-oil-bread-dip-2.jpg (153 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
olive-oil-bread-dip-2.jpg
153 KB, 1500x1500
Is this an actual thing?
What spices to add into the oil to make it more flavorful?
Ive got some leftover sheeps cheese and olives as well.
>>
Pepper and rosemary. It doesn't need much is you have. A nice balsamic
>>
I hate the taste of olive oil personally, much prefer a nice sesame or coconut.

With bread though, just anything but olive oil, and definitely need a good balsamic vineger
>>
Throw some za'atar in there
>>
>>7587018
The oil and vinegar never combine in any way. The vinegar drops to the bottom and doesn't get on the bread at all, just runs off due to the oil. It's the most annoying thing when some restaurant does that, immediately makes me assume they are retards who have seen other retards do it and think it looks rustic or some shit.
>>
bread + fat is a bad idea

An alternative is bread + lowfat refried beans. or bread + tomato soup.
>>
>>7587726
If we were facing each other right now, I would have a strong desire to push your face in or snap your neck.

I wouldn't do it, however because I am mentally sane but I would certainly welcome the opportunity if you became violent.
>>
>>7587018
Forget balsamic, it's rotten Italian barrel crap vinegar. Best evoo you can find and a nice 7% red wine vinegar, ground up oregano, salt and fresh ground pepper.

Rosemary & Thyme go well too, I like using oregano cause I pick a huge shopping bag off the side of a mountain every year or so on a dry Med. island, numbs the tongue, has a strong flavor that pairs well with the olive oil and vinegar.
>>
>>7587018
>make it more flavorful
I don't think you understand. You're supposed to enjoy the flavour OF the bread and the oil. Not that flavour of whatever you've added to it.
>>
>>7587744
Explain. You know full well that the vinegar and oil don't mix. I don't mean I would want them to emulsify or some shit, but they actively part. You know the denser vinegar drops to the bottom and you have to really swill that shit around to get it to look like OP's picture. You know all this, so explain your statement.

Also, wanting to snap someone's neck over something like that does not make you mentally sane. Just because you would refrain because you didn't want to go to prison or because you are a coward is no sign of sanity. Your irrational anger is the sign of a disturbed mind.
>>
>>7587846

everywhere ive been has always just done oil + black pepper

i guess you could add salt or chili flakes (not necessary). i wouldnt add the balsamic (although i like it by itself)
>>
>>7587726
>doesn't get on the bread at all

you can just put your bread into the spot with vinegar and wala it gets on your bread.

granted I don't use vinegar myself because I think it's too acidic, I just use oil and sometimes chili flakes or garlic
>>
Do Italians actually do this?
>>
>>7587733
Shut the fuck up, it tastes good.
>>
>>7587997
Yea, and amazingly enough Greeks too, they usually bring out a nice flavorful evoo. See in southern Italy and in Greece they don't use butter all that much, so bread comes out, and sometimes if they're nice, a nice tray of evoo to dip the bread in instead of butter, the only difference in Greece it'll be mixed with red wine vinegar while in Italy they'll mostly use balsamic.
>>
fucking asshole that took that image trying to be fancy with the aperture but can't focus at any point.
>>
>>7587018
Italian here. We usually eat bread & oil, expecially on South Italy. Just pre-heat the bread, then crack it in half and garnish the inside with olive oil, salt, pepper and parmeasan or grana. You can add also sliced tomatoes and capperi. It's pretty good expecially if hot enough.
>>
>>7588107
American here. I bake bread at least once a week just to do this. Olive oil, cracked pepper, tomato slice and sea salt.
>>
>>7588107
Ciao, or even only a good extra vergin olive oil, a pinch of salt and some drops of lemon juce.
>>
>>7587018
Kebab here, toasted bread, some olive oil with dried mint and red pepper and some slices of tomato ant tulum cheese on the side is my favorite dish for breakfast.
>>
>>7587726
The oil and vinegar never combine in any way.
That's why you are supposed to put it in a shallow dish, so when you dip the bread you get some of both
>>
>>7587018
I think you're pretty much done there. Simple, but wonderful.
>>
>>7587726
Wow. Just wow. You are either a flyover denizen or an angry manchild who embarrassed himself at the "fancy restaurant" that daddy took him to so he could meet his "new wife" and superior-by-all-metrics stepchildren.

Did you have a hysterical tantrum when you couldn't get to the vinegar? You just couldn't figure that puzzle out could you?

At least Daddy will visit once a month to drop off a carton of cigarettes, a month's supply of Milk Duds, and a visit to a fast food restaurant of your choice.

Then he feels like he has done his duty and escapes back to the relative perfection of his new family. The nerdy-but-athletic-and-popular son who is younger than you but has actually gotten his dick wet... the attractive and down-to-earth daughter who humors your creepy attempts at socialization... the gorgeous professional wife who stole your father away from your mentally ill mother and her failure sons.

Yes, oil and vinegar does not mix. Just like daddy and the bad family.
>>
I just use a nice balsamic vinegar and oil with some cracked black pepper
>>
>>7588351

>all that butthurt
>>
>>7588113
Red chili pepper flakes, just a few too man, or infuse them in a bit of oil to get a hint.
>>
>>7588153
Don't laugh, with a really good evoo that's made for drizzling and not cooking that's fruity buttery tasting and thicker consistency you don't even have to add anything. Sometimes Greeks and Italians decanter their oils, store the harvested pressed olive oil overnight in these big glass vats and on the bottom is a spigot where the water collects overnight, they remove the water from it and the oil turns thicker and more flavorful and it makes it perfect to eat alone with bread.
>>
Thanks for the suggestions, went with a bit of black pepper and oregano, few drops of lemon juice as I dont use balsamico. Turned out quite good, baked the bread slices on either side on a pan, only I oversalted the dip and with the olives and sheep cheese(seasoned as well) it was a bit too salty, like some posters ITT.
Lesson learned, less is more.
>>
>>7587733
Bread and butter is bad, ok kid. Ever had toast before? How about a grilled cheese?
>>
I love this stuff. I've made bread for no reason other than to dip it into oil and vinegar and eat it.

>Select all images with bread.
>>
File: fumo1.jpg (55 KB, 350x435) Image search: [Google]
fumo1.jpg
55 KB, 350x435
This is all you need.
>>
File: French-bread-letter-006.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
French-bread-letter-006.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
Post breads.

I gotta go bake some focaccia for tomorrow.
>>
File: focaccia.jpg (635 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
focaccia.jpg
635 KB, 1000x667
>>
>>7587018

no spices needed. just good quality olive oil, which apparently you've never been exposed to.

just dip your fucking bread into good oil you dunce. not a hard concept to grasp.

>>7587733

this better be a joke~
>>
>>7588794
no thanks, i don't smoke
>>
>>7587733

You do know where you are?
>>
>>7587733
How do you re-fry the beans?
>>
>>7588829
it's better if you also have a good quality balsamic vinegar to mix with
>>
>>7587726
learn how to eat first you filthy flyover
>>
>>7588351
>>7590175
Samefagging. How sad.
>>
>>7588351
Oh dear, all that saltiness, looks like I touched a nerve.

It's okay anon, I think I know what happened. You finally plucked-up the courage to ask Glenda from the post room out on a date. Sure, she's nothing special, and she has that strange thing going on with her eyes, but at least she talks to you (well, she's polite when you ask for your mail). After a lot of persuasion she finally agreed ("okay anon, I guess so, no don't pick me up, I'll meet you there) so you wash you best slacks (those ones you wore when you went stag to the prom) and started thinking about where to take her. You don't have much money to spend, but you want it to be a 'real' restaurant. You also want to look like you're down to earth and know the good places to go. You remember that shitty little Italian place in the back end of town. You arrange to meet her there. She orders a salad and a glass of water (keeps her hand over it and takes it with her to the bathroom for some reason) and you order the spag bol (you're particularly pleased that it's authentically tomato). They bring some bread and olive oil with that black stuff in it. For free! Gratis! Fuck, she must be impressed. How authentic is this? If only they did that thing with the wine bottle and candle (no, not that thing your mum does, anon, that would be discussing at the dinner table). The conversation is stagnant and the date dull, except for that time her foot accidentally touches yours and you get an erection. She refuses to let you drop her off, insisting that her friend lives just around the corner and she's going to pop round and see her. Still, one of the best dates you've had.

Then some anon points out that the olive oil, balsamic and bread thing is a stupid meme, intended to make suckers feel sophisticated and you get hurt, so you lash out. I'm sorry anon, I didn't want to ruin your memory of your perfect night, please accept my apologies.
>>
>>7590382
>>7590431
And now I'm samefagging. And you can't stop me.

>>7588351
I did like your bit at the end about not mixing, it was clever.
>>
File: Vlcsnap-2010-02-24-19h44m20s65.png (444 KB, 830x467) Image search: [Google]
Vlcsnap-2010-02-24-19h44m20s65.png
444 KB, 830x467
To continue, I need some olive oil brand recommendations, since there are a fuckton to choose from. Not to mention all those stuckup balsamico companies, just how big is the goddamn Modena region to accomodate all those marques?
>>
>>7587895
It doesn't because the oil gets on the bread first and causes the vinegar to run off.

You need to REALLY mush things around to get some vinegar on it. It's hard to get a consistent balance between dips.
>>
>>7587018

put some harissa with it
>>
>>7588851
Though it's nobody's first guess, refried means thoroughly fried.
>>
>>7590431
What kind of faggot posts like this?
>>
>>7590611
>every bite has to taste the same
Burger detected.
>>
>>7591987
Welcome to 4chan. You are an idiot.
>>
>>7587018
That shit is so good
I could eat fresh bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for days
>>
>>7587018
As a Spanish I tell you to FUCK OFF. ADDING SPICES YO OLIVE OIL? WHAT?
Try adding some suggar, man
>>
Italians don't do this.. A waste of good olive oil and a waste of good bread. Also will make you fat
>>
I read somewhere this was invented by an American restaurant.. maybe in California?
>>
I just make a tomato cucumber and onion salad with red winevinegar and oil and dip in that instead of this pretentious shit they give you in restaurants to over hype the bill

salt and pepper mother fucker.
>>
>They fell for the bait
>>
there used to be a restaurant named Zio's that did this.
>>
>>7595226
italians do eat bread with olive oil..
but not in the way that bread is dunked in oil, like mcdonal's fries with a bowl of ketchup
>>
File: 20160408_181505.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160408_181505.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
>>7587018
I do olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and fresh ground black pepper.
>>
i usually put a bit on basil in mine. either fresh or the wet chopped up kind
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.