[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any of you guys have a rice cooker? Whats a good one? >tfw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: Boiled Rice.gif (132 KB, 662x433) Image search: [Google]
Boiled Rice.gif
132 KB, 662x433
Any of you guys have a rice cooker? Whats a good one?

>tfw so busy don't even have time to cook rice on a stove now
>>
File: hooked.gif (143 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
hooked.gif
143 KB, 480x480
>>7585980
>tfw so busy don't even have time to cook rice on a stove now
explain to me how you're too busy to put rice and water in a pot, turn it on, and leave for a bit.

also explain to me how a rice cooker would take any less time.
>>
>>7585980
I have the standard cook/keep warm variety that you can get with a steamer attachment for ~18 bucks.

Its worth it because you can set and forget. (can't do that with a stove)

I have friends with zojis and I dont think they are worth it for the cost.
>>
>>7586000
rice cooker and water in your room

easy, no stove, don't even have to get up

can work for cup noodles too
>>
>>7586000
what part of busy didn't you understand? I can explain it in fine detail if you want so you can keep up with the rest of us, just let me know
>>
From the sounds of things, you'd be best off with just a cheap one. They all work basically the same. It doesn't sound like the expensive versions will benefit you, so I wouldn't bother with them. Anything under 20 bucks is gonna basically be the same thing and they work quite well.
>>
I have a zojirushi, the quick cook setting is honestly pretty fast, it's the equivalent of what these poorfag losers are suggesting when they say put the rice on the stove.

The thing that makes it really nice is the other programs, but they only make sense to use on set and forget mode. For example the brown rice setting alone takes like 2 hours 40 minutes. Fine if it's running while you're at work, not so fine when you started it when you got home and you're hungry.

Also porridge in the morning, I literally wake up to the zojirushi tune, it's great.
>>
>>7586065
That's what I already asked you to do. Why do you need me to ask again before you'll actually answer?
>>
>>7586090
Which one do you have? I found one for 300 bucks and I'm trying to see if I can buy a more expensive one than yours.
>>
>>7586104
You easily can. I bought mine for $125.
>>
>>7586090
Caution: fire hazard.

Do not leave unattended.
>>
>>7586000
I have a qt Vietnamese gf, their family has a rice cooker always on, so when you are feeling for a snack or have some leftover meat, egg rolls or shrimp, you can just take some rice, mix it with some stuff and eat it, whenever you want.
Pretty convenient If you ask me.
It also keeps rice warm/cooks it better imo, just personal preference though.
>>
>>7586016
I have a plain Zoji, and I love this thing. Had it for years and I grew up with one. It's pretty much a tank that will never, ever die.
>>
>>7586000

>Leaving the stove unattended

You truly belong in a kitchen
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-UNCOOKED-Stainless-Exterior-ARC-914SBD/dp/B007WQ9YNO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Bought this one because it can cook brown rice without having to mess with it. 30 bucks. Works great. Paying 150 for a rice cooker is silly unless you end up using your cheap one literally every day and want to use it as a slow cooker too.
>>
>>7586682
Can vouch for this one. Been using it for years, really nice that it has a button for white rice and one for brown. Set it and forget it.
>>
I have this shitty one that boils over and burns the bottom of my rice.
>>
>>7586682
heh, i paid 100$ for a 200$ zojirushi during the Amazon Prime day sales, and use my shitty target one as a slow cooker.

The zojirushi is noticeably better though
>>
Shitty $20 one, like everyone else.
Looking into IH cookers, specifically Japanese imports, but they're way too pricey.
>>
I use my pressure cooker, perfect rice in 15 mins
>>
Pay $25 for an Aroma with a locking lid. It'll do you just fine.
Only consider bumping up to a better model if that somehow doesn't fulfill your needs. The only reason you'd need to rush out and dump $100+ on a Zoji is if you're actually Asian and eat rice at every fucking meal.

AND DON'T GET ONE OF THESE
>>7586714
>>
>>7586714
i have this one too. it burns your rice, really? it just makes the bottom of my rice golden brown and dry. not exactly pleasant to eat but not burnt or inedible
>>
>>7586682
Thanks I was just about to ask if there was a $30 or under rice cooker that can do brown rice
>>
>>7585980
Buy Japanese
Buy with a locking lid
Spend atleast 100 dollars

Guaranteed perfect rice every single time
>>
1. 1:1.5 rice to water ratio
2. bring to boil
3. lower heat to the lowest, cover and let simmer for 12 minutes
4. let set for 10 minutes with lid on

perfect rice every time, minimal stickage to the bottom
one minute of active work time
>>
File: caldero.jpg (202 KB, 2067x2067) Image search: [Google]
caldero.jpg
202 KB, 2067x2067
This is what I use.
>>
>>7585980
you're too busy to cook rice in bulk on a stove but you have time to waste posting on 4chan huh
>>
>>7586890
You can soak your rice for a day and then put it in a $30 rice cooker but it won't be as good as the brown rice setting, at least that is what I found when I tried the overnight soak and then "quick cook" mode (which it won't even accept on timer, btw, so obviously Zoji knows it's a major compromise)

The long rice programs (white and brown) are just objectively better, and this is speaking as someone who grew up with the old fashioned "on or off" rice cookers because my parents refused to believe that those fancy ones that the other families had were actually not just a status symbol. I bought my zoji when I was on my own and didn't need to justify things to my parents anymore, it was well worth it.
>>
>>7587053
>Your priorities should be the same as mine!

Gee, thanks Mom
>>
The cheapest Walmart one has lasted me years. The rice matters more than the cooker
>>
>>7586648
>he watches water boil
>>
>>7585980
>Any of you guys have a rice cooker? Whats a good one?

I've owned several different ones over the years from various different brands as well. My experience is:

-The cheap ones with a lift-off lid don't do a very good job cooking the rice; you want one with a hinged locking lid & an internal gasket.

-As far as the standard Asian type goes (hinged locking lid, then the basic cook/warm switch), I noticed no difference between the expensive Zojirushi brand and the cheaper ones like Tiger, etc. They perform equally well.

-I recently got a fancier model with a pressure-cook mode, computerized, etc. For normal rice it's a little better than the standard one I mentioned above, but it is faster. It also does a *much* better job for specialties like brown rice.
>>
>>7586881

I have one of these and it works like a champ. Sure the $150+ Jap ones are better but ask yourself how much rice you eat before spending that much.
>>
>>7586097
he isn't that busy it is an excuse of convenience to ask about rice cookers.
>>7585980,>>7586065
they are all garbage in the price bracket i have bought for <150. I wouldn't recommend them; study, or work near the stove just as you do with your tea - you pleb.
>>
>>7586881
I was looking at this. It looks like a pretty good deal. Should I spring for it? I'm moving home soon so I'll have room for it.

I had this shitty one from Wal-mart that worked alright, but it seems a little low tech and kind of a pain in the ass. Certainly not something I would ever consider using consistently for more than steamed vegetables.
>>
>>7586882
Take that toasted rice and boil it with water into porridge. Shit's delicious.
>>
>>7585980
http://www.panasonic.hk/english/products/kitchen/rice-cooker/sr-nd10.aspx
I had a smaller panasonic model when I was in Japan and it was really good. When I came back I tried a cheap one and it was shit. This thing is really good, the rice is delicious and it's easy to clean. Also it has a timer for workaholics who work late and want their rice as soon as they return.
>>
>>7587692
Get an IH cooker.
>>
>>7585980

had one, it broke, i didn't buy another, i don't miss it
>>
>>7587993
W2C for cheap then?

I mean I don't need a super awesome and nice induction rice cooker because I don't feel like I eat enough rice to spend 300 bucks on a rice cooker, desu. Be nice to just have a little side appliance so I can keep my stove clear
>>
>>7585980
fuck this thread just makes me want to consume large amounts of rice
>>
File: Anemone_serious.jpg (161 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Anemone_serious.jpg
161 KB, 960x720
>needing a unitasker
>>
>>7589916
>Sucking Alton's dick constantly
Literally every single person that bitches about rice cookers being unitaskers own toasters
>>
>>7589916

1. It's not. I can steam veggies and cook soups in it.
2. Fuck off with your Alton meme shit. Everyone agrees that the rice cooker is pure gold and worth using.
>>
>>7589957
Wait you can use a rice cooker for soup?

Apparently you can also use it for pancakes (the ones pictured here)
>>
>>7591758
It can also be used to great effect as a slow cooker.
>>
File: 1461154962711.jpg (79 KB, 600x550) Image search: [Google]
1461154962711.jpg
79 KB, 600x550
>>7591758
>pancakes
>>
>>7591758
Yeah I make chicken stock in mine. Just leave it on warm for a day and night and strain.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.